in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-26-2010 1:38 AM by elephant. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-24-2010 10:38 PM

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I'm almost hesitant to ask.....

but, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how quickly B&O will incorporate the new 3-D technology that Samsung just showed at CES for their upcoming LCD panels.  I ask only because I want to buy a BV-7 55" and though I would've guessed the 3-D technology to be a few years off, it looks like it's coming sooner and more standardized than I would've guessed.

Mark

Mark D
  • 01-25-2010 8:37 AM In reply to

Re: I'm almost hesitant to ask.....

If it gets big it gets big, but I have yet to see a 3D experience that didn't give me a headache and was terrible. Most require glasses (which is even worse if you already wear glasses) and the ones that don't require such specific viewing positions that 70% or more rooms would not be able to accommodate one. 

It's one thing to go to the IMAX theater and suffer through Avatar with goggles on, but to think that enough people would run out to buy these things seems farfetched based on the technology. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-25-2010 9:16 AM In reply to

I'm with Trip on this one.  3-D has been around for a long time and it never really seems to get past the novelty stage.  It comes, it goes, and then a few years later it's back again.  Since it requires the user to wear a device such as glasses and with it's side effects headaches/nausea, demand for a 3-D platform for common viewing will likely remain low.  IMO, the only industry that would embrace 3-D technology would be the gaming industry.     

• 01-25-2010 9:29 AM In reply to

I would think they add that with the same speed as they adopted blueray, so few years.

I have glasses and sat through Avatar at my regular cinema and it wasn't too bad but not sure this will be my preferred way of watching all my movies.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about 3D until another 5 years.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-25-2010 10:29 AM In reply to

Hey folks,

This was emailed over to me via a colleague last week. Not sure where the information is from but nonetheless! (BTW i work in a B & O store so relavent to me!)

"Here’s an interesting snippet: for those who keep asking about whether we’re going to do 3D televisions, here’s another arrow to shoot them down with for the time being -

The technology behind 3D movies involves two images being shown on the screen. The glasses you wear make sure only one eye sees each image, and your brain puts those two together to create a 3D effect. According to the COVD there is a significant part of the population that is unable to view 3D due to vision problems.

Around 56% of those between the ages of 18 and 38, for example, have one or more problems with binocular vision that would inhibit their viewing experience. Around five percent have amblyopia (also known as ‘lazy eye’) or strabismus, both of which make 3D viewing impossible.

Kenneth J. Ciuffreda, a professor at SUNY, State College of Optometry, says that visual motion sensitivity (VMH) may be an issue as well. “People who have visual motion hypersensitivity will find Avatar quite challenging to view.” Those with VMH will often feel dizzy when watching movies in two dimensions, and three dimensional movies cause them to feel nauseated and stressed.

Over half the population can’t actually ‘see’ 3D television (?!) and a portion of those who can will just vomit all over the place. Brilliant stuff"

Dave

• 01-25-2010 12:59 PM In reply to

notsolittledave:

Hey folks,

This was emailed over to me via a colleague last week. Not sure where the information is from but nonetheless! (BTW i work in a B & O store so relavent to me!)

"Here’s an interesting snippet: for those who keep asking about whether we’re going to do 3D televisions, here’s another arrow to shoot them down with for the time being -

The technology behind 3D movies involves two images being shown on the screen. The glasses you wear make sure only one eye sees each image, and your brain puts those two together to create a 3D effect. According to the COVD there is a significant part of the population that is unable to view 3D due to vision problems.

Around 56% of those between the ages of 18 and 38, for example, have one or more problems with binocular vision that would inhibit their viewing experience. Around five percent have amblyopia (also known as ‘lazy eye’) or strabismus, both of which make 3D viewing impossible.

Kenneth J. Ciuffreda, a professor at SUNY, State College of Optometry, says that visual motion sensitivity (VMH) may be an issue as well. “People who have visual motion hypersensitivity will find Avatar quite challenging to view.” Those with VMH will often feel dizzy when watching movies in two dimensions, and three dimensional movies cause them to feel nauseated and stressed.

Over half the population can’t actually ‘see’ 3D television (?!) and a portion of those who can will just vomit all over the place. Brilliant stuff"

Hmmm, there might be something to this, since I love a good IMAX 3D, but my wife hates it, she says she gets nausea.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-25-2010 2:00 PM In reply to

3D won't take off until people can ditch the glasses.  Just think of having these 3d glasses that run on batteries, recharging them and such, and having to have extra pairs for company, family, etc.  Do you really want the clutter of all this? And it is going to change.  3D in its current form is the new Quad....it will be gone....

• 01-25-2010 6:28 PM In reply to

I don't think there were any batteries in my glasses at my local movies when watching Avatar.

What I noted was, some movements within the film are uncomfortable .... what a Director has to learn I guess is to avoid these.

Giving the success that Avatar has for an "average" story I think they might be onto something with 3D ....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-25-2010 6:42 PM In reply to

3D is moving along two parallel route at the moment: the special glasses/ double image film, and the adaptation of lenticular still photography (remember NIMSLO?) to work on LCD/ computer screens. There are already plenty of 3D computer screens on the market at premium prices..... but you generally need to sit in a very specific position (and only one of you) to get the experience.

The comments above about binocular vision problems in the general populace are probably true. In real life most people rely less on 3D vision than is popularly believed. For example, when driving most of your eyesight  judgement is based on comparisons rather than 3D depth (unlike that of a pilot who often has nothing to make comparisons with!)

Rather than alienate half the population it's more likely that TV stations will make separate broacasts now and then for special spectacle viewing, with most TV's and broadcasts remaining 2D for universal viewing.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 01-25-2010 7:08 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Ok, the science bit is that 3D works by getting your eyes to see two seperate images, filmed from different angles and this tricks your brain into sterophonic vision.  Eventually, screens will produce two images projected outwards at very slightly different angles.  Being a very narrow angle, this will involve a screen that tracks the position of your eyes and we're talking about 10-years away.  Sorry folks.

My take on Avatar was more that I already enjoy making films on Super8 (or 8mm movie film for those out the know) Anyway, the cameras are cheap now, mainly because people are stupid and throw away high quality eqipment because it's "outdated" although the film is expensive to buy, and process.  So anyway, a friend and I thouguht there's no reason to not buy two cameras, two projectors and some polarising lenses to create a 3D film.  Obviously this would work with glasse and the editing would have to be frame-by-frame accurate on each film but the idea is so cool I'd love to do it.  Now I just need to get some cash together to buy 2x200feet of film (alas, £200). And another camera/projector (£40 if I'm lucky).  And a 4 polarising lenses.

• 01-25-2010 7:23 PM In reply to

I watched Avatar and was  fine but i did take my eyes of the screen for a second during the film so not to be looking all the time and was fine.

As for the take up of 3D Tv....Sky HD will be launching 3D this year maybe around may/june and it wil be sports and well know how people like Football,which could be the driving force for 3D and we know loads of  People OWN Sky HD...Then theres the PS3 which can play 3D as well...After a downloaded up date!

So with sky HD and the PS3 how long do you think it will take for 3d to take off.

I think games on the P3 will get people interested then it wil go from there.

The Bv7-40Mk4 and the 7-55 have 120hz screens which is the min for 3D..Just wondering if B&O can do an add on for the IR emitters for the glasses?

That could be the way to go? Maybe? if it was poss.

Any idears? on this!

If I was going 3d,It would be a Projector Big screen for small £'S

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 01-25-2010 8:51 PM In reply to

BeoNut1:

but, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how quickly B&O will incorporate the new 3-D technology that Samsung just showed at CES for their upcoming LCD panels.  I ask only because I want to buy a BV-7 55" and though I would've guessed the 3-D technology to be a few years off, it looks like it's coming sooner and more standardized than I would've guessed.

Mark

Maybe you'd be better off with a BS3 and a Samsung?  Then when the technology changes, you just change the panel.  That's what I'd do.

TripEnglish:

It's one thing to go to the IMAX theater and suffer through Avatar with goggles on, but to think that enough people would run out to buy these things seems farfetched based on the technology. 

Maybe the suffering was due to Avatar not being a very good movie? Big Smile

• 01-25-2010 11:05 PM In reply to

bayerische:
    but my wife hates it, she says she gets nausea.

So did mine after Avatar ... she even surrendered her car to me to drive ... that's how bad it was !

On the other hand I am very susceptible to motion sickness ... in cars, buses, boats ... and I can't play or even watch games like Doom and all its successors being played without feeling disoriented and ill ...

Yet I enjoyed avatar and felt no ill effects ... maybe because it was so immersive

I watched it at IMAX, the glasses were not powered - simple polarisation - and they were large enough to wrap around the coke bottle bottoms I use for glasses Big Smile

This generation of glasses were much better than the Blue&Red glasses and even previous polarised glasses I have used.

I think the electronic shuttered lenses are not feasible:

1. cost
    2. batteries
    3. fitting for people like me who are quite handicapped with their defective vision

BTW I find the advice to dealers interesting ... and disingenuous ... I remember how dealers protested that Blu-Ray was a fad, and yet when the Bv7-40 Mk IV arrived ? *presto* there was a two foot high pile of Blu-Ray discs on the floor advertising the fact that Blu-Ray had arrived

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-26-2010 1:31 AM In reply to

For those who didn't know the glasses had batteries, here's a link:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/63421

• 01-26-2010 1:38 AM In reply to

macjonny1:

For those who didn't know the glasses had batteries, here's a link:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/63421

Yes ... as they state: "(they're all of the battery-powered "active-shutter" variety, by the way, complete with LCD lenses that rapidly open and shut in sync with the alternating left-and-right images on the HDTV screen)"

I wonder how many flutters the spectacles give before they are bye-byes 

i.e. what their duty / life cycle is ....

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)