in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-12-2010 9:36 PM by elephant. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-24-2010 9:00 PM

Can I use a mac mini as a dvd / hd recorder ?

... in a b&o living room setup or do I still need a separate dvd/hd recorder from lets say, samsung or whatever ?

I would of course like to control it with beo4... (linkplayer maybe)

• 01-25-2010 5:20 PM In reply to

Re: Can I use a mac mini as a dvd / hd recorder ?

Yes you can.

A MacMini has more ports and connectors than my MacBook so that's a good start.

I use the following hardware and its software:

• Elgato Hybrid USB tuner with two source inputs:
      • composite video input - video, audio L+R
      • digital aerial input
    • Elgato EyeTV software for recording, playing back, and also exporting (converting) videos captured via the Hybrid tuner
    • Maxtor USB external hard drive (2 x 0.5TB, one primary, one backup)
    • MacBook DVD player/recorder
    • MakeMKV - for copying DVDs with multiple chapters e.g. TV Shows, Music Videos
    • HandBrake - for copy simple DVDs such as most movies

I can manage viewing real time broadcasts and viewing recordings of broadcasts or recordings of captured videos (shows, movies, home videos) via LinkPlayer and its interfaces to EyeTV, PLEX, and FrontRow.

Through LinkPlayer and my BeoPort I therefore have access and control via my Beo4.  Although I do have a BeoVision IR blaster for Apple I have not yet tested that approach.  I have also used my Apple Remote to control LinkPlayer and the above software, but as you would expect I prefer the Beo4.  I have a Beo5 on order which again would give me control, and perhaps open up new possibilities.

LinkPlayer is still in Beta mode, and I have not yet managed to capture an EyeTV recording; I have contacted Phillipe but I have not heard from him yet.

So for recording broadcasts and home movies (via a Beocord VHS 91.1) I operate EyeTV via mouse and keyboard - I can either do that at my MacBook's screen or use the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse I have (I recommend you get wireless devices for your MacMini) whilst viewing the desktop on my BeoVision.

For capturing DVDs (movies, TV shows, Music Videos) I use either Handbrake or MakeMKV by hand (keyboard) ... since both these take a long time to run through the capture process of the DVD I can start them and then keep using the Mac and BeoVision for other things - although I like to keep my activities light weight so as not to disturb the background processes.

I have not (yet) automated the above process although there is a detail discussion on how to do that at this site:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

Feel free to ask more questions 

Ed~209

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-26-2010 5:08 AM In reply to

ok well with a mac mini I see I have a lot of options. The tricky part seems to be to make it as similair to using a vcr/dvd-recorder as possible, and with that I mean a menu system preferrably something that looks like beo menu with big text so that I dont have to bring up my keyboard and mouse and go through all the dropdown windows and all that like I do when I am using lets say photoshop or whatever.

I dont have a lcd yet so using a computer interface will make it hard to read the text especially from the couch.

I guess the reply to this is "get a vcr or hdr1/2" :)

• 01-26-2010 6:02 AM In reply to

scanorama99:

Noooo !!!

scanorama99:
    I mean a menu system preferrably something that looks like beo menu with big tex

Smile just because I am a dumb bunny and can't get the LinkPlayer beta to record doesn't mean that:

• Phillipe will "educate" me from my user error
    • Phillipe will fix whatever the issue is with LinkPlayer and EyeTV in my configuration
    • you (or anyone else for that matter) may be able to get it work where I can't

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-26-2010 5:46 PM In reply to

:)

• 05-14-2010 1:18 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

scanorama99:

ok well with a mac mini I see I have a lot of options. The tricky part seems to be to make it as similair to using a vcr/dvd-recorder as possible, and with that I mean a menu system preferrably something that looks like beo menu with big text so that I dont have to bring up my keyboard and mouse and go through all the dropdown windows and all that like I do when I am using lets say photoshop or whatever.

I dont have a lcd yet so using a computer interface will make it hard to read the text especially from the couch.

The mac mini will give you more inherent options, but it depends if you really need these options.  I have an Apple TV and i find that using this is as simple as using the old vcr.

As technology has gotten (word) better it has also gotten (word) a lot more complicated for (some) people.

I find the Apple TV quick and easy to purchase shows and movies from the itunes store.  If you prefer to d/load movies via torrent or rip them in a number of formats, AppleTV may not be the solution for you.

I only rip things in one format (if i need to rip) to suit the apple tv.  But most of the time i purchase movies or tv shows (damages, etc) from the itunes store and it's as simple as one click with an easy to read menu.  So in this instance you don't need a separate keyboard or mouse or have things in a drop down menu, it's very easy - even my parents can use it.

Would you like me to post any images with screen shots, let me know

Michael.

• 05-14-2010 10:34 PM In reply to

Michael:
     If you prefer to d/load movies via torrent or rip them in a number of formats, AppleTV may not be the solution for you.

Take a look at ATV Flash ... it may extend/expand the value of the Apple TV for you: ATVFlash

Ed~2

• 05-23-2010 10:17 PM In reply to

I have a Beosystem 3 hooked up to a Mac mini, an Elgato Digital TV tuner, and a 1TB hard drive, and it works fairly well.  The software I use is:

- The stuff that came with the Mac (Front Row, iTunes)

- Elgato eyeTV with digital tuner

- Remote Buddy

- Boxee.

The BS3 can directly emulate the Apple remote, and Remote Buddy allows you to more effectively control all your Mac software, mostly eliminating the need for a keyboard/mouse.  There's iPhone/iPod Touch software from Elgato that also does a great job of controlling eyeTV, and even works while you're out of the house. One thing, however, is that there can be a bit of a hiccup when you do fast forward or rewind from the B&O remote, and it won't do a press-and-hold of the menu or play/pause buttons.  You could always grab the Apple remote if this is an issue.

I've also ripped (lossless format) all my CDs and play them either through Front Row, or else via iTunes through my Airport Express hooked up to my BeoCenter.  The D/A converter in the Airport Express isn't the best though, so I'll eventually get a good stand-alone converter to take the Express's audio digital out signal.

-- Paul

• 06-12-2010 7:51 AM In reply to

I wouldn't bother with ATV flash.  You can get much the same from Boxee/XMBC for free.

• 06-12-2010 9:36 PM In reply to

Pestria:

I wouldn't bother with ATV flash.  You can get much the same from Boxee/XMBC for free.

Michael was putting forward the case for an Apple TV.

ATVFlash adds Boxee/XBMC to the ATV -- but can you install them without first having ATVFlash to unlock the ATV?

Included Software:
    FTP/SFTP/SSH Access - Transfer files to and from your AppleTV
    NitoTV - Play DVD files, enable USB storage and much more
    Couch Surfer Pro - Powerful Safari based web browser
    Sapphire - Play and organize media using IMDB database
    ATVFiles - Browse and play stored media
    Overflow - Combine multiple menu items into a single menu
    AirControl beta - Use the Loop™ Pointer from Hillcrest Labs on AppleTV
    XBMC - A fully customizable media center software
    Boxee beta - Watch and share media with your friends
    Maintenance - Manage installed plugins, and install additional features
    All Available Video Codecs (Perian, A52, Mplayer + more)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)