in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-19-2010 5:42 PM by ipaul. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2010 1:08 PM

Avant 32" Screen issues - Advice welcome!

Hi

Am hoping you might help me.

I have the Avant 32” VCR – bought it 8 or 9 years ago and recently the screen has developed a green tint, it then got worse. Did some initial web research and followed a few peoples advice to switch off the machine at the wall for a period of time. Did that and for a few days the screen was 100% perfect. Then it started to go green again.

Then read about the tube failures on the units, got a local TV repair chap round he suggested the transformer is the culprit – a £90 unit as opposed to several hundred pounds for a new tube. At this point am using spare TV, the TV repair guy has been let down on a order for a new transformer so my questions are

·         Has anyone else replaced the transformer?

·         Did it solve any of the above?

·         Also do you have the part number so maybe  can order a new one in and have it replaced.

Heres hoping I can somehow save my favourite TV!!

Thanks!

• 01-18-2010 2:20 PM In reply to

Re: Avant 32" Screen issues - Advice welcome!

I had the same issue with my avant! unfortunately it was the tube!!

• 01-18-2010 5:32 PM In reply to

Hmm i was rather hoping it was not going to be the tube. bah.

So out of interest what did you do - have it repaired or no?

Thanks

• 01-18-2010 7:12 PM In reply to

"the transformer" is the trouble maker ??...which transformer !! or is there some 'misunderstanding' that the solution to this would be placing a transforner...??

Do you have thin green lines in the picture ??

Ask the 'local tv guy' to swap cathode connections to be sure it is the tube (which is likely, but don't go for 'likely' if it is easy to establish).

Whats the type number of your Avant ??

• 01-19-2010 6:43 AM In reply to

Buy another one, they are cheap as chips at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 01-19-2010 9:21 AM In reply to

• beoblok
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2008
    • Finland
    • Posts 80
    • Bronze Member

Hi Supermoto,

I once had green in screen too and upon closer inspection it appeared that the Scart cable wasn't connected well. Well worth the try!

All the best,

Maurice

• 01-19-2010 10:59 AM In reply to

I will get a better answer as to the transformer question, as i understand it he said that a replacement transformer will solve the issue - he seemed to think the tube was OK.

The screen started with thins green lines zig zagging going across and at its worst it was very green. Also when switching off the curtains would close and a faint green glow would remain and then fade to black.

I wil replace the scart lead as need a new one, although i am not sure that might be the culprit as the video plays OK yet the screen is still green.

Thanks again

• 01-19-2010 1:21 PM In reply to

Like others who have commented and taking into account all the points you have stated, I am afraid to say that this is almost certainly going to be a faulty tube. Replacing the EHT transformer may give a small boost for a short time, but that will not be the actual fault.

Regards Keith....

• 01-19-2010 3:31 PM In reply to

Hmm, all i have read points to a tube fault - i am trying to ignore that as i dearly love my TV - its the first one i ave ever bought and go tht e Beo 6000s to go with it etc etc.

Thanks for all your help guys.

• 01-19-2010 4:36 PM In reply to

It was a lot of money i think the tube was the best part of £500 plus fitting(my friend was a b&o engineer)! you could be getting on for nearly a grand done i should think!

• 01-19-2010 5:42 PM In reply to

Well indeed, these are the typical signs of a faulty tube, but as said this is easy to establish with 100% certainty if it is the tube (for a tv repair guy) and should be done before anything else i'd say...

Depending on the type of Avant there are several options for tube replacement or (give it a try to) fix (imho spending 500+ euro isn't one....) but that's a next step if needed.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)