in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-19-2010 4:47 PM by Nickyg63. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2010 10:21 AM

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Beolab Penta

I haven't been on this forum for a long time, but now I need some advice from you beofanatics. I've been thinking of buying a pair of Beolab Penta for several years, and now I feel that the time has come (just one small problem - wife doesn't know yet!)

The speakers should be connected to my Beocenter 9000, I've been told it works with speaker link cables.

Now to my questions:

Are Beolab Pentas worth buying? I know I can get a better sound quality for less money if I buy a non-beo product.

What's the main differences between mk1, mk2 and mk3? I've been looking at a pair of mk2

Do I have to worry about foam rot? The seller claims they are ok and he offers a 1 year warranty.

Other things I have to be concerned about?

What is the general price of Beolab Penta mk2?

Hope someone can help me..........

• 01-18-2010 10:33 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beolab Penta

Re Beolab Penta's worth buying? Yes, probably the best value B&O speakers out there at present.

Differences between MK1, 2 & 3's?

MK 1's have speaker link connections.

MK2's have both speaker link & power link.

MK 3's have powerlink only.

Things to be concerned about?

MK1's & 2's will probably have foam rot in the midrange drivers & MK3's may possibly have the same but not as likely. I beleive replacement drivers are still available form B&O - if not then you will need to refoam them or find smoeone to do it for you if you don't fancy the job. The amps may also need some remedial work on the earlier versions as I have seen a few (not many) posts on here with amp problems.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-18-2010 10:41 AM In reply to

Penta is one of the best speaker of B&O, and now I think it is more musical than present systems. The price of Penta now is quite cheap and so reasonable to buy. You can not find any other speaker with super sound like penta, with the same money...

Beocenter 9000 drive it so good, but it is much better when it is drived by 7000 System. 

You should find MK3, it is the best way.

• 01-18-2010 11:32 AM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Well, the BC 9000 hasn't got power link so it is either MK 1 or MK 2.

• 01-18-2010 11:33 AM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Pentas are great speakers. As the others said, watch out for possible amp problems and foam rot, especially if they are the Mk I or even Mk II. It seems that most if not all Pentas Is that I have seen (on ebay) have had foam rot issues if the foam hasn't already been replaced. I have also seen some older Pentas with malfunctioning amps.

Additionally, I've noticed that almost all Penta IIs have yellowed plastic display covers. It seems that the plastic used on the the Mk IIs yellows easily (probably if exposed to sumlight) and I doubt that replacements would be easy to find. One other thing to note is that these speakers are hard to ship properly (unless they still have the original packaging, and even then I would take extra precautions). You must be very careful with shipping as the stainless steel is easily damaged and the grill cloths torn.

Luckily, my Penta IIs still have the original foam intact. One of my plastic display covers is a bit yellowed and the other isn't. Lastly, as far as sound goes, Pentas have an inherently warm sound. They seem to envelop the room with rich sound. If you like warm sounding speakers, then Pentas are definitely for you!

• 01-18-2010 12:12 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Do you know any details about the possible amp problems? It would be nice if I could ask the seller some clever questions......

BTW I have told my wife about my penta plans and she is still talking to me Laughing

• 01-18-2010 12:13 PM In reply to

Had my BC9000 with Penta 1's and then Penta 2's. either are ok as the same power etc main difference is more types of connectors for the Mark 2 and IMHO a much better display.

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 01-18-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

MK3 have Powerlink and Line in

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoCenter 2 DAB/DVD mk.II
    • BeoVision 7-40 DVD mk.III
    • BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 01-18-2010 3:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Tillquist:

Medogsfat:

MK3 have Powerlink and Line in

Embarrassed

True - true.....

I was really simply stating the ease in which they will connect to a BC9000 & utilise the displays. You can use MK3's but will need either Speakerlink > Powerlink adaptors or even have some leads made up, I'm sure Steve at Soundsheavenly is more than capable of making some up.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-18-2010 3:41 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Don't worry about any fading or yellowing of the displays. Simple piece of flat acetate in there, easily replaceable. (chose your own colour)

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-19-2010 2:34 AM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Thanks everybody for your fine answers. I still would like to know something about the amp problems mentioned in this thread. Also what would be the price of a Penta mk2 in good condition (no foam rot, grills without holes etc.)

• 01-19-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

I have now purchased the Pentas, which are  going to be connected to my BC 9000. Can I connect the Pentas to my MX 7000 as well?

• 01-19-2010 3:13 PM In reply to

riis:

I have now purchased the Pentas, which are  going to be connected to my BC 9000. Can I connect the Pentas to my MX 7000 as well?

Yes, with Powerlink Smile

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoCenter 2 DAB/DVD mk.II
    • BeoVision 7-40 DVD mk.III
    • BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 01-19-2010 4:47 PM In reply to

Hi, one of my penta's (mk1) is at the dealers as it getting very hot! (a pentiometer) a fairly simple fix i believe. I would choose the later versions mk2 and 3 as they have the later powerlink connections so the nicer displays will work ok.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)