in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-18-2010 8:29 PM by elephant. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-17-2010 6:45 PM

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Beogram CD 50

Hey guys,

A year ago, I obtained a lot of various vintage Bang & Olufsen components. One of the pieces was a Beogram CD 50. It never worked until today, when my father and I opened the unit up and found that the rubber belt had disintegrated. We installed a small rubberband as a makeshift belt to test it out. Now the CD player works fine. Also included in the lot was a CD terminal remote. I had always assumed that it went with the CD 50 and that the unit was equipped with the special IR receiver allowing it to function without a Beomaster 5000. Today, I installed batteries in the CD terminal and attempted to control the CD 50 with it. No luck. So my question is: does anyone know a way to tell the difference between a standard CD 50 and one fitted the optional infra red sensor inside?

Thanks,

Aaron

• 01-17-2010 8:30 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram CD 50

The "CD Terminal", as it was called, was for direct (i.e. not via the Beomaster) control of the Beogram CD50; this was so the CD50 (as an early quality CD player) could be sold and connected to non-B&O systems.

The remote has a green LED on the top right corner next to the name "CD TERMINAL" - does this flash when you press the buttons?

Edited PS

You might also try the video picture capture trick mentioned in this thread (2nd and 3rd posts I think) to see if the "CD Terminal" is emitting an IR beam:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/31236.aspx

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-17-2010 10:46 PM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Yes the green light flashes when a button is depressed and I determined that the remote is sending out infra red signals with my digital camera. However, I am trying to determine whether or not my CD 50 contains the optional infra red sensor unique to this remote. I figured that it could possibly be be present in the machine but is not functioning. Is there a way to determine whether this sensor is present inside the CD player by opening it up and looking certain identifiers?

Thank you for your reply

• 01-18-2010 2:20 AM In reply to

Hi Aaron,

The CD 50 has to be equiped with a remote sensor print. In the 80's as a retro fit by the B&O dealer. I had mine CD 50 equiped with this kit in 1985.

The CD 50 front, the dark plastic strip where the display and lights are in, has an extra window opening for the sensor! Take a torch/licht and shine the front, you can see this opening in the mid of the dark plastic. This extra window opening is at the left of the display where the CD minutes and seconds are displayed. When you open the unit there has to be an extra print with the sensor and a wire connection to the board inside.

I recal this by memory as mine CD 50 is in use by my father.

Regards, Robert

• 01-18-2010 2:34 AM In reply to

-multimedia Robert-:
    Take a torch/licht and shine the front, you can see this opening in the mid of the dark plastic. This extra window opening is at the left of the display where the CD minutes and seconds are displayed.

Correct.

I checked my two CD50s, both have a small window 1/2" to the left of the counter display.

I know one of these had support for the CD50 (I never knew it was an optional feature!)

Not sure the other one works with the CD Terminal.

I think you may have to take the covers off .....

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-18-2010 9:58 AM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Okay. I removed the cover and inspected the area behind the window. I am thinking it doesn't have the sensor. There is one brown wire connected to a circuit board, but I am not sure if it goes to the display or to an infra red sensor. Here is a photo I snapped...

• 01-18-2010 10:23 AM In reply to

I'm not too keen on opening my CD50 to check, but I seem to recall the connector (P3) for the remote receiver was clearly marked and visible on the display and key control board it is supposed to be connected to. This is PCB 1, on the far right when looking at the deck from the right front. Look for a 3 or 4 pin connector marked "terminal", "remote", or some such...

That spot in your pic looks about right for where the module should be, just to the left of the display board.

Another EDIT: the service manual we have on site isn't actually too helpful in this respect.

-mika

• 01-18-2010 12:40 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    I'm not too keen on opening my CD50 to check

Neither would I ! (I still have my BM5K to repair from being too helpful)

@ducha

To help you decipher the circuit connectors etc you might want to use the 'Products' section of the 'Main Site' (see Beoworld site's top line) which contains the service manuals:

BeoGram CD50 Compact Disc Player Service Manuals
    Service Manual 3275.8 Kb PDF

You need to upgrade your membership to access the download.

• 01-18-2010 7:02 PM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

I just installed a new 9V battery into my CD terminal just for the heck of it and aimed it at my CD 50. Lo and behold, it responded! So as it turns out, I do have the optional infra red sensor in my CD 50 after all!

I did pretest the remote by using a digital camera and apparently the battery was stong enough to send a signal, but too weak for the Beogram CD 50 to receive it.

• 01-18-2010 8:29 PM In reply to

Very glad to hear there was a simple resolution to your problem !

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)