in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-23-2010 2:37 PM by vikinger. 83 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-20-2010 4:01 PM In reply to

Re: The MADE IN DENMARK product thread :-)

BL9 also from Czech

BS9000 from Denmark

• 01-20-2010 4:17 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

raveny:

BL9 also from Czech

BS9000 from Denmark

And I rest my case,  before it was announced that the BL5's, 9's & 3's are made in Czech, no one hade a bad word to say about them.

It seems then that the issue isn't product related - if B&O are looking after their shareholders, what does this mean to their employees in Denmark, or the Danish in general in terms of the national economy.

This issue crops up all of the time.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-20-2010 4:29 PM In reply to

Puncher:

if B&O are looking after their shareholders, what does this mean to their employees in Denmark

What does it mean to the employees in Denmark if B&O goes bankrupt and disappears because the company is unable to escape from things such as the costliest electricity in all of Europe (by far) and taxes of over 150% in certain categories as discussed above?

I say if they are able to escape these poisonous obstacles and keep producing high quality products in Bohemia, it is good for us the customers and it is good for the surviving Danish employees.

• 01-20-2010 4:35 PM In reply to

raveny:

BL9 also from Czech

BS9000 from Denmark

I have a pair of Beolab 9s.  Where is the label that indicates where they are made?  Thanks.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-20-2010 6:01 PM In reply to

It's where the powerplug and Powerlink socekt is, a seperate sticker next to the SN number.

• 01-20-2010 6:16 PM In reply to

raveny:

It's where the powerplug and Powerlink socekt is, a seperate sticker next to the SN number.

They must be assembling in both countries or I must have looked in the wrong place.  The label under the serial number says Denmark.

• 01-20-2010 7:04 PM In reply to

When have you bought your BL9? Mine are from June 2009.

Perhaps they shifted production in the course of time...

• 01-21-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

If the BL9 is indeed built in both places then that just proves what I and others posted before.  You just can't tell the difference.  Both places turn out quality product.

Quick, everyone look at your speakers!

• 01-21-2010 4:27 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

There may be a black Market business opportunity for forged "made in Denmark" stickers to be used when selling on!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-21-2010 4:36 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

beoberlin:

Their praised, top-of-the-line speaker, sold for the price of a compact car, is finished in eastern Europe? How pathetic!
    Wonder if anything is made in Denmark anymore? Someone could please check if the factory is still there?!

.b

That is REALY pathetic for Bang & Olufsen.
    This seems a CEO fault as he seems to act only for the shareholders and NOT for the company. Now the Beolab 5 cost them 1000 Euro to manufacture and they sell them for 17.000 here in Germany.
    There are other nice companies, too!

• 01-21-2010 4:43 AM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-20-2009
    • BRISTOL UK
    • Posts 62
    • Silver Member

As  a user then Puncher and Diznik's comments apply to me. I don't mind where it is made, the technical and aesthetic design as well as cost is the essence.

If I were a Danish politician, then I might have to think more deeply. After all if a company ceases to exist then it can contribute nothing to the country. If in all respects it has actually moved away this has the same effect.

John

• 01-21-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

TWG

This seems a CEO fault as he seems to act only for the shareholders and NOT for the company. Now the Beolab 5 cost them 1000 Euro to manufacture and they sell them for 17.000 here in Germany.
    There are other nice companies, too!

How do you know of the cost to manufacture is the correct, i know from experience that theres always a large mark up on manufacture goods to retail but 17 times seems quite high if the cost is 1000 euro in denmark why not keep it in denmark.

There many company strategy that when times are good build in govermant subsidised factorys abroad but when lean go back to the homeland factories maybe that could be part of the reason rather than just cost

• 01-21-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

My BL5's are made in Denmark, but they are older.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-21-2010 6:26 AM In reply to

Just to get things clear: I have no reservations agianst chzech products at all, in fact some peoply including me think for instance that Skoda is building with the Superb the better Passat then Volkswagen. There are surely great workers and craftsman in Chzechoslovakia. And there are a lot other examples like Skoda.

BUT: The price of a product should not only be based on quality, design, technology. It should reflect it´s origin too, like it´s with Skoda. A good product made in a -relatively- low wage country for a lower price then the Volkswagen. And here I have a problem with the actual trend in Struer. When buying a EUR 17.000,- plus speaker and having to read on it´s bottom "Country of origin: Chzech" I get the same, slightly bad feeling when buying the average Hugo Boss Black Label shirt made in Hongkong. Or right before Xmas I was trying on a Burberry coat. I liked it a lot and wanted to buy it, but while taking it off I had to read in the back "Made in Thailand". The epitome of brit chic made in East Asia? Sorry, not for me. I let it on the hanger and left. I felt cheated.

If buying a product for a premium I just not want something good for me, I want to support the local economy too. I do this everytime as long as I can afford it. Call me a romatic, but that´s how I feel and try to act. Other producers still sell high-priced goods with high-quality requirements made in high-wage countrys. And they are not only surviving but doing good business. German company Miele would be an example for this tactics. So I wonder why Struer thinks they need to escape and build their stuff in the former eastern bloc. It surely can´t be caused by low profit due to low prices. More like a long row of wrong decisions. Sad.

.b

• 01-21-2010 6:50 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

beoberlin:

Just to get things clear: I have no reservations agianst chzech products at all, in fact some peoply including me think for instance that Skoda is building with the Superb the better Passat then Volkswagen. There are surely great workers and craftsman in Chzechoslovakia. And there are other examples like this.

BUT: The price of a product should not only be based on quality, design, technology. It should reflect it´s origin too. And here I have a problem with the actual trend in Struer. When buying a EUR 17.000,- plus speaker and having to read on it´s bottom "Country of origin: Chzech" I get the same, slightly bad feeling when buying the average Hugo Boss Black Label shirt made in Hongkong. Or right before Xmas I was trying on a Burberry coat. I liked it a lot and wanted to buy it, but while taking it off I had to read in the back "Made in Thailand". The epitome of brit chic made in east Asia? Sorry, not for me. I let it on the hanger and left. I felt cheated.

If buying a product for a premium I just not want something good for me, I want to support the local economy too. I do this everytime as long as I can afford it. Call me a romatic, but that´s how I feel and try to act. Other producers still sell high-priced goods with high-quality requirements made in high-wage countrys. And they are not only surviving but doing good business. German company Miele would be an example for this tactics. So I wonder why Struer thinks they need to escape and build there stuff in the former eastern bloc. It surely can´t be caused by low profit due to low prices. More like a long row of wrong decisions. Sad.

.b

Exact! I feel the same!

@MGBGTV8

I don't know if the Beolab 5 costs them 1000 Euro to produce, it was just a guess!

I feel the same way Beoberlin does: It looks like B&O is realy cheating on us! They can keep their "Made in Czech" stuff and buy it semself! Not for me anymore.

As Beoberlin cleary stated there are enough companies that do realy good business exactly because they manufacture their stuff in their home country. That's why their customers are happy to buy their high quality products and happily pay the price for it.
    I don't pay 17000 Euro on a pair of danish speakers that are made in Czech!

Examples:

- Access music (Hardware virtual analog synthesizers, german Company, made in Germany)
    - Miele (Home appliances, German company, made in Germany)
    - T + A (Hifi company, german, Made in Germany)
    - Loewe (Audio/Video company, german, made in Germany)
    - Accuphase (real Highend Audio company, japanese, Made in Japan)

Bang & Olufsen made in Czech? Go away with that!

And again: Please contribute to the list of products made in Denmark so that we can be sure which one to buy and which to left out!

• 01-21-2010 7:30 AM In reply to

I don't like it took! Built quality is fantastic but the prices went up over the past years. They never reduced prices after changing production site.

Maybe they put all the parts from Denmark together in Czech?

This reminds me on my recent refusal to buy Hermes !!! table mats. One costs 112 Euro for plain textile without stitchery and guess what: MADE IN VIETNAM. Even cheaper than in China!

• 01-21-2010 8:43 AM In reply to

beoberlin:

German company Miele would be an example for this tactics.

We own several Miele devices too, "Made in Germany."  But it appears that Germany is a low-cost location when compared to Denmark.  For instance:

• VAT is 24% cheaper than Denmark (DK 25% vs. DE 19%)
    • Electricity is 21% cheaper than Denmark (DK 24¢/KWh vs. DE 21¢/KWh)
    • Consumer products such as a VW Golf 47% cheaper than Denmark (DK €31,200 vs. DE €16,650)
    So I perfectly understand Miele being able to remain in its native country vs. B&O having to escape.  It is better to survive than to die.

• 01-21-2010 12:59 PM In reply to

I have been thinking of this discussion trying to figure out if this is really a problem.  I must admit that it didn't bother me that BV8, Beo5, or Beotime were not made in Denmark.  In fact I never thought about it.  However when it appeared  that maybe my Beolab 9s were not made in Denmark, I did feel disappointed at the possibility at least for a few minutes.  I am planning to buy a Beovision 10 when its available in the US.  I already know it is not assembled in Denmark.  However when thinking about Beolab 5s, I wondered if I would buy them if the dealer told me they are made in the Czech Republic.  I'll make that decision later.

I am not going to check the label on my Miele vacuum cleaner nor am I going to pull out my Beosound 5 to see where its was made.  This can get crazy.  Maybe the answer for me is that it is enough that B&O products are a Danish design made in the EU.  I guess that notion will not satisfy others in this forum but it seems to work for me.  After all is a BMW assembled in Alabama not a German car?

• 01-21-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

• fl4f
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2010
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

All video products is assembled in Struer, except the BV8 series. They are assembled in Taipei.

B&O uses Samsung panels in their LCD line video products, and Panasonic in their Plasma products.

This does NOT make a B&O video product, a Samsung or a Panasonic product. The panel is one thing, the most important thing is the engine showing the images on the panel. This is one of the things, that makes a B&O video product different from all the other products on the marked. In the older days, B&O used Phillips picture tubes. But it was not a Phillips product.

Loewe is using Sharp panels, this does not make Loewe a Sharp though.

Its just ignorance to think otherwise.

BS9000 is assembled in Struer, due to its complexity.

Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 is assembled in Struer.

B&O uses Flextronics to supply PCB boards. All main PCB boards, for the phones, the speakers and so on. Are made in Skive Denmark. The plant used to be B&O but, was sold to Flextronics a couple of years ago. They are still mainly producing for B&O at that plant.

Audio products, such as speakers are now assembled in the Cezh rep. On a B&O made assembly facillity. The facillity is more or less a exact copy of the facillities for assembly in Struer. By this, I mean everything used for assembly, is made in Denmark. The software used to secure, all parts are put at the right places; is developed in Struer. The leading team, is mainly people from Struer, and so on. The only thing, different in the cz rep. facillity is the workers.

Most of the parts, if not all of them. Are still made in the Struer.. All the alluminium parts, speaker units etc. etc.

Phones, remotes and other peripherials are also assembled in CZ.

B&O made the production/assembly facillities in CZ Rep. them selves, and owns the buildings..

Buying B&O products, means that youre still paying for a danish product; though it have been around another country, in the making.

So no worries, until B&O is sold to some evil chinees empire or something :-)

• 01-21-2010 4:53 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I don't see any problem at all. Even if you are a little bit protectionist, you have to understand that Czech Republic is TOTALLY EQUAL to Denmark, or Germany, or France : it's EUROPE!!! (I don't speak about product quality, this topic itself proves that there is no visible difference between products made in cz or dk)

Come on guys, you're thinking that stopping buying cz products will help your country : ok, do that, stop buying everything made in cz rep. What will happen? cz rep will not develop itself, the strong inegalities between european countries will stay... And Denmark will... Continue to give a LARGE amount of money (as other wealthy european countries) to cz rep...

So what do you prefer? An equal Europe with the same average wage, or an inequal europe with poor countries living with money from other countries?

I understand protectionism against China or the like, where we do not exactly understand where our money goes (not to the workers, but to the government...), but against an other european country!! Come on, we're in 2010, and there are still wealthy people here that doesn't understand Europe???

Denmark & Czech Republic is the same country: Europe!

• 01-21-2010 5:21 PM In reply to

mbee:

Ouch! Not on this side of the Channel it isn't!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-22-2010 1:52 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

mbee:

Great Britain is probably more American (52nd) than an European Union country.Stick out tongue

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 01-22-2010 1:58 AM In reply to

Which is the 51st state ?

Australia ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-22-2010 2:06 AM In reply to

elephant:

Which is the 51st state ?

Australia ?

Whistle

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 01-22-2010 2:49 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

mbee:

A catastrophic megaflood separated Britain from Europe (France, specifically) hundreds of thousands of years ago, changing the course of British history, according to research ... and, nowadays, don't even the Britain's wheather forcasters keep on saying: 'Europe will continue to be separated from Britain by a thick fog'? Big Smile

Page 3 of 4 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >