in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2010 7:43 AM by TWG. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-11-2010 8:49 AM

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

wb electronics RE-BL Ir to Bluetooth converter for Playstation 3 mini review

Hi,

I want to share my mini review and experience with my new RE-BL converter from wb_electronics.

This is an infrared to Bluetooth converter to control your Playstation 3 and Playstation 3 slim (works with both!) via

- Bang & Olufsen PUC STB (it's official supported by B&O, so you can use your Beo 4 remote, too.)
    - Bang & Olufsen Beo 5
    - Logitech Harmony remotes
    - Philips Pronto remotes 

I looked for an option to control my PS 3 via my Beo 5 remote. At first I gave the Logitech PS3 adapter a try but it did NOT work with the PS3 slim, they needed to create a new hardware revision. Then I found the "RE-BL" converter from wb_electronics.

I emailed them because I had some questions about time lags etc. (which seems to be a problem sometimes on the Logitech adaptor) and they got back to me in a very short time, very friendly and competent.
    I bought the adapter through their online shop together with an external IR-receiver and a few days later I got a parcel from Denmark: RE-BL converter.
    That's a PRO argument for me by the way: The RE-BL is "Made in Denmark" and not that China trash...

The device itself is nearly half the size of the Logitech adapter, just a little bulkier. The design is not as beautiful as the Logitech system... it's more functional but still decent - and as always: Design is a personal matter of taste and very subjective.

Compared to the Logitech converter the RE-BL has it's first PRO in terms of power options:
    You can use Batteries (2x AA), you can use a power supply, you can use an USB-Powersupply or you can combine batteries with DC- or USB-power. Quite some options :-)
    I choosed the USB-power options as I'm using a Sony Playstation 3 dual USB charger/powersupply which has a new task now: Powering the RE-BL and the JBmedia Lightmanager Pro. Works like a charm.
    If you want to use batteries, too, you have to open the RE-BL by removing two O-rings that hold the case together. Simple solution as you have rubber feets this way, no matter if you decide to use the device in portrait or landscape mode!

After unpacking the RE-BL I downloaded the software from wb_electronics to check if it had the latest firmware and to play a little bit.
    Very good: You don't need any drivers for this little device as it is identified by Windows without any problems! Windows only but this is no problem. 
    The software is simple and effective, you don't need a manual for it. It let's you choose some options and gives you some personalisation of the RE-BL converter like the status-led function (on/off), low-battery indicator led (on/off) or a simple option to prevent IR conflicts if you are using a Sony DVD player (like I do).
    Then I checked the firmware of the converter which was already up to date!
    Another fine option: Macros. You can define your own macros for the RE-BL converter and it comes standard with the "Power off" macro - which is very handy when you know the official procedure to turn the PS3 of using a controller. You don' have to confirm any dialog, the RE-BL switches the console off like it should. Very good!

After this I went into the living room and started to pair the thing. How do you do it? Turn on your PS3, enter the menu for registering the Bluetooth remote control and hit "enter". After this you just have to power on the RE-BL adapter. That's all! It pairs itself automaticaly with the Playstation 3 without any problems!
    When I tried it with the Logitech converter the Playstation controller was unregistered from the system - and therefore unusable. The RE-BL converter does NOT have this problem, it works like it should!

After this I switched on the Beo 5 configuration tool, loaded a Beo 5 xml template and started editing. It was quite some editing work as the Beo 5 xml file has only all PS3 remote commands included, but not in an ergonomical way - this is NOT a fault of wb_electronics as some external person made the file for them.
    In the meantime 2 users (Keith and YannChris) already made an improved version of the template including hard buttons and logos.
    Thank you very much for that!
    Keiths version is already available in the download section and I hope that YannChris will offer his template, too, as it seem to look very good.

So, configuration uploaded, took the Beo 5 AND... eh voilá: Now my Playstation 3 slim is a slave of my Beo 5 and the RE-BL converter! While using the remote everything feels "instantly", that means that there is NO time lag when using the PS3 menu.
    Now after everything is working, I'm gonna install the RE-BL converter out of sight. This is very easy, too as it supports external IR-receivers, too (which I already ordered from wb_electronics). When you're using an external IR-receiver you HAVE to use a powersupply!

It works like a charme and you can use it with the Bang & Olufsen PUC STB, too, as it is officialy supported and implented by Bang & Olufsen. If you're living in Denmark, you can buy the RE-BL at your local B&O store.
    If you live somewhere else on this planet you can order it from their online shop at an attractive price of 49,- Euro.
    What I like:
    - Build quality is ok
    - installation and configuration is simple and realy good!
    - No drivers required in Windows-Systems.
    - Status-LED (Low-Battery, Command received...)
    - Supports many remotes (e.g. Sony DVD remote and not only Logitech Harmony...)
    - Power Options (Battery, USB-, DC-Power, Combined (Dc- and Battery)
    - External IR-receiver possible for hidden installation
    - "Error-correction" for Sony-DVD remote commands
    - Firmware upgradable (s.th. which is IMPOSSIBLE with the Logitech system).
    - Price
    - Bang & Olufsen PUC support
    - Macros (especialy the power macro is very handy)
    - Made in Denmark ;-)
    - Fast, competent and friendly support

What I don't like:
    - The design is - to be honest - not realy s.th. you can call "beautiful", it's just functional
    - The Beo 5 XML Template is not realy well made. 
    You have to rename some commands and even find out what command it is because of the faulty/wrong naming.
    This means some editing and testing with the Beo 5 configuration until you know that - for example - the button "standby" is the "Playstation"-button of the controller; "preview" is "slow step back" etc.

Every command of the original remote is found in the XML file without any formatting; this means again: much work in the Beo 5 configurator to get an usable and ergonomic screen/buttonlayout. But please keep in mind that this XML file is NOT made by wb_electronics. It's made from an external 3rd party.

My conclusion:
    Simple and effective way to control your PS3 with a remote like the beloved Beo 5, Beo 4, Logitech Harmony and Philips Pronto
    Would I recommend your product to other people? 
    Yes, I would! Definitely! 

In this thread you can see pictures of a Beovision with the RE-BL STB PUC installed and a realy nice Beo 5 template:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/31201.aspx

wb_electronics website:

http://www.re-bl.com/

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it - even if english is not realy my mother language ;-) 

Thomas

• 01-11-2010 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: wb electronics RE-BL Ir to Bluetooth converter for Playstation 3 mini review

Hi Thomas,

Great review! Thought about doing one myself. Big Smile

I also use the RE-BL box to control my PS3slim and it works great! I use the BEO4 remote, which I think are missing a few buttons/commands. I'm missing the buttons R1, R2, L1, L2 and Select.

I'm using an "early" version of the RE-BL PUC by Bang & Olufsen, so maybe the missing buttons will be included in the final product? I hope! Stick out tongue But all in all, it works GREAT!!! Both when I use the PS3 on the BV8-40 or in my BeoLink rooms.

Those who haven't already bought it - BUY BUY BUY!!! Wink

Regards Claus

I was the second place winner on the BeoWorld May 2009 Prize Draw!

Thanks to BeoWorld for a great site!

• 01-11-2010 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: wb electronics RE-BL Ir to Bluetooth converter for Playstation 3 mini review

Thomas,

A really excellent review indeed.. Thank you.

If any of the command names in the XML file in the download centre need changing, then please let me have a list and I will change them.

I can confirm that the XML file in the download centre includes all commands including R1, R2, R3, L1, L2, L3 and SELECT

I can also confirm that the digits and hard keys are also pre-assigned.

Regards Keith....

• 01-11-2010 11:12 AM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

I have also tried to use the Logitech PS3 adapter but gave up with it in the end as it is extreamly unreliable both in actual preformance and it also seems to loose its pairing with the PS3.

I have a Beo5 but still prefer the Beo4 and therefore I hope to be able to use the PUC on my BV9. Which PUC should be used? The B&O provided PS3 PUC or the RE-BL PUC as per the installation instructions on the RE-BL website ?

//Rolf

• 01-11-2010 11:39 AM In reply to

My dealer could only make the RE-BL box work with the "Sony PS3 RE-BL" PUC from Bang & Olufsen.

• 01-11-2010 11:42 AM In reply to

Hi Keith,

The XML file is only for the BEO5, right?

• 01-11-2010 11:53 AM In reply to

This XML is for DIRECT control and is provided in a drag-n-drop form, so no further alterations required in the Beo5 Configuration Tool.

This file is for the Beo5

Regards Keith....

• 01-11-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

by the way ,on the BS3 with the last firmware i could control the PS3 slim directly with the beo4.....seems there's PS3 on the STB list....i read on a previous thread

• 01-11-2010 2:31 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Thank you very much for this thorough review. I think the RE-BL sounds very promising, and I was going to buy one, until I realized that my Avant does not have the PUC output Sad

But it's nice information for when I one day have a TV that supports PUC.

• 01-11-2010 3:48 PM In reply to

Toubro:

, until I realized that my Avant does not have the PUC output Sad

Isn't the RE-BL also on the latest STB-C list? It has the "ps3" for the Nyko for sure.

• 01-12-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

ClausMikkelsen:

My dealer could only make the RE-BL box work with the "Sony PS3 RE-BL" PUC from Bang & Olufsen.

That's correct! With the PUC file you can control the RE-BL from your B&O TV with your Beo 4 or Beo 5. With the XML-file you can control the RE-BL directly from the Beo 5 remote!

@Keith: I'll check out your XML file and give you feedback very soon!

• 01-12-2010 7:19 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Beobuddy:

Toubro:

Isn't the RE-BL also on the latest STB-C list? It has the "ps3" for the Nyko for sure.

I don't have any knowledge regarding STB/PUC, but I see now from reading in the Beoworld STB group, (which I didn't even know existed until now), that the Avant has STB. My problem is still the same though, as my Avant just has a plastic part where the mini-jack output should be located.

• 01-13-2010 4:37 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Toubro:

Beobuddy:

Toubro:

I don't have any knowledge regarding STB/PUC, but I see now from reading in the Beoworld STB group, (which I didn't even know existed until now), that the Avant has STB. My problem is still the same though, as my Avant just has a plastic part where the mini-jack output should be located.

This is a problem that can be solved: The STB/PUC can be retrofit by your dealer!

• 01-13-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

TWG:

This is a problem that can be solved: The STB/PUC can be retrofit by your dealer!

That sounds great. I'm afraid that it'll be rather expensive, but I've just send my dealer a mail requesting a price.

• 01-15-2010 1:01 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

@Keith:

I've testet your XML-file. Very good!

Can I make some suggestions? It would be nice if the physical "back-button" on the Beo 5 could be assigend with the "back"-command and still exists as a screen button,too.  Back = Circle-button. So I could have the button 2 times: One on the hardkey and one on the screen with the my own playstation symbols, just for cosmetical reasons :-)

Is this possible?  

• 01-18-2010 6:37 AM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

Just a quick report, I received my ordered RE-BL unit last week and also managed to get the latest PUC listing for it installed in my BV9. The installation was extreamly easy and the pairing with the PS3 was also trouble free.

Compared with the Logitech PS2 adapter the RE-BL product was already far ahead. The actual control of the PS3 via the BV9 PUC Menu also worked directly and I  am now happily controlling my PS3 with the Beo4. I have not as yet tested the Beo5 controll via Keiths latest XML file, but since I seem to use the Beo4 more out habbit then this is a great solution which I hereby recommend.

The only difficulty I have seen is the "power off" sequence from the BV9 via the RE-BL to the PS3. There is supposed to be a macro controlling this, but I seem to be out of sync between the BV9 and the PS3. I did see on the units support forum that a restart of the device is needed in order for it to pickup that it should use the Power on/off detection from the PS3 USB cable so I will give this a try this evening.

//Rolf 

• 01-19-2010 5:08 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

@Rolf:

Did you check the Software of the RE-BL on your computer if the MACRO function is turned ON?!
    You can configure the RE-BL from your computer with the Windows software from wb_electronics! 

• 01-19-2010 1:55 PM In reply to

Having the same command on the screen and the "back button" hard key is no problem.

Let me make sure I really understand which actual button you wish to control. The current BACK hardkey is assigned to what was called "RETURN" in the original WB Electronics XML file. The screen already has a CIRCLE button.

Are you saying you want the RETURN currently on the hard BACK button to be on the screen AND the screen CIRCLE button to be assigned to the hard key BACK button leaving the circle button on the screen ?

Regards Keith....

• 01-20-2010 6:46 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Yes, as far as my english language skills goes, I think that's what I want, Keith :-)

• 01-20-2010 11:52 AM In reply to

Thank you for your feedback and confirming the details.

I have modified the XML file as requested and you can download it HERE for test.

When you have confirmed that it is correctly working, I will supply a copy to WB Electronics.

Regards Keith....

• 02-22-2010 7:43 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi Keith, 

sorry for my feedback taking so long.

Yes, it works!

Thank you again for that!

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)