in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-04-2010 11:48 PM by Michael. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2010 3:17 PM

• gijsvs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2010
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 4002 tone arm won't lower

Hi -- new at this forum, and hoping y'all can help me...

My Beogram 4002 is as old as I am, but still running decently. Since a few weeks, the arm does not lower on the record anymore. This was an intermittent problem, but now it has become pretty consistent. Even when I push the LIFT button, it will often just click (flashing the light in the speed adjust) and not start playing. At every attempt it is moving a little to the left.

Any clues as to what's up? I can replace components on the PCB (did that before to the speed adjust pots), it's just that I have no idea where to start.

Thanks
    Gijs

• 01-06-2010 3:26 PM In reply to

• gijsvs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2010
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beogram 4002 tone arm won't lower

BTW, I checked the other post about raising/lowering tone arm issues, but the solution there does not seem to apply...

• 01-06-2010 3:51 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Gijs & welcome to BeoworldSmile

You say you have read other related threads on here but there are dozens of threads covering all types of Beogram. Have you read THIS thread though? as all the symptoms you mention point to it being lubrication of the pivot points. Hopefully this will be the problem as it is very easily fixed.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-06-2010 3:57 PM In reply to

• gijsvs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2010
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Chris -- well, no! I did browse through a lot of threads but this one did not turn up in my search. Thanks, it looks like that could very well be the problem.

Will whip out my sewing machine oil this weekend, and post back with results!

Thanks again,

Gijs

• 01-07-2010 12:54 PM In reply to

Theese turntables are getting older, and the mechanical parts are siezing up. I have had the problem with 3 Beogram 4000 series (one 4000, one 4002 and a 4004), all has been stagnant in a decade or so. This is a great record player that have the looks!

-Søren Hammer

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 01-07-2010 1:02 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

gijsvs:

Hi Chris -- well, no! I did browse through a lot of threads but this one did not turn up in my search. Thanks, it looks like that could very well be the problem.

You probably just searched the Beogram section, this thread was actually posted in the workbench section as tends to happen frequently. You just need to know where to look for these thingsGeeked

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-07-2010 1:34 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

You probably just searched the Beogram section, this thread was actually posted in the workbench section as tends to happen frequently. You just need to know where to look for these thingsGeeked

And to tell the truth, the forum search function is utterly useless.

I use Google limited to the forum site: here's a ready made link.

-mika

• 01-08-2010 5:49 AM In reply to

• Stoney3K
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Eindhoven, NL
    • Posts 91
    • Silver Member

Søren Hammer:

Theese turntables are getting older, and the mechanical parts are siezing up. I have had the problem with 3 Beogram 4000 series (one 4000, one 4002 and a 4004), all has been stagnant in a decade or so. This is a great record player that have the looks!

Do you think there is any demand for newly machined parts for these units (and possibly newer Beograms in the future), to accompany Soundsmith cartridges and keep the Beograms going until well into the 2000's? I can inquire somewhere to get parts machined either out of PMMA, polycarbonate or Aluminum.

• 01-08-2010 6:00 AM In reply to

Nah, I don't think there will be high demand of parts, because most parts are still ok, but just needs new lubricant to "unstuck" or make it move again.

Stylusses are a bigger issue, but there are enough compagnies that can upgrade or renew the current stylusses and tips. Even original styluses can be bought, but they cost a lot of money and are not the best you can get.

If you realy want top class, google "van den Hul". Well knows dutch compagny.

Even a bigger problem is the bad soldering quality and elco's of the Beograms.

Beogram 4000, 4002, 8000, 8002. Sorry, got rid of all the rest.

• 01-08-2010 10:21 AM In reply to

• Stoney3K
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Eindhoven, NL
    • Posts 91
    • Silver Member

mormel:

Nah, I don't think there will be high demand of parts, because most parts are still ok, but just needs new lubricant to "unstuck" or make it move again.

Stylusses are a bigger issue, but there are enough compagnies that can upgrade or renew the current stylusses and tips. Even original styluses can be bought, but they cost a lot of money and are not the best you can get.

Getting NOS ('original', new-old-stock) cartridges is a bad idea, check the central cartridge topic why: Most of those have been in the box for over 20 years and the rubber in which the cantilever is mounted, will have degraded severely by now.

Most Beograms (especially the 4000 series) have been on the planet for 30 years or more, which also means the internal mechanics are that old. Now most aluminum parts will probably survive it without much trouble, keeping them lubed up is enough, but the nylon and other plastic parts will break down quickly, especially as the Beograms get older. By 2020 even the 'newer' series of Beograms (5005 based) will be over 30, and I guess there will be an increasing demand for replacement and upgrade parts.

Even a bigger problem is the bad soldering quality and elco's of the Beograms.

Luckily, that problem is also easier to solve.

My goal is to keep the vintage B&O hardware away from the garbage container, as more and more people will throw their old A/V equipment out in the transition from records to CD, DVD and Bluray, where neither format is 'inferior' and keeping the equipment going is generally a good idea. The worst thing that can happen to a B&O device (especially mechanical devices like Beocord/Beogram) is to NOT run, as the mechanics will clog up with dust and parts will degrade under the influence of lubricants and other chemicals.

• 01-08-2010 10:48 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Stoney3K:

Søren Hammer:

Do you think there is any demand for newly machined parts for these units (and possibly newer Beograms in the future), to accompany Soundsmith cartridges and keep the Beograms going until well into the 2000's? I can inquire somewhere to get parts machined either out of PMMA, polycarbonate or Aluminum.

There's a demand for Beogram CDX hinges for sure. I have posted a fix for this on the forum but some are totally unfixable due to snapping completely across.

I think one part that would be useful for this particular series of Beograms is the drop arm solenoid, quite a few turntables have gone to the graveyard due to this problem.

Chris.

• 01-16-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

• gijsvs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2010
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Chris, that was it indeed. Relubed moving parts (the diode is not there in my 4002) and it works like new!

thanks

• 01-16-2010 6:38 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Excellent news - glad it was that simple - the easy fixes are always the bestSmile

Chris.

• 12-04-2010 11:48 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-03-2010
    • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

As stated perfectly by Stoney3k, "The worst thing that can happen to a B&O device (especially mechanical devices like Beocord/Beogram) is to NOT run, as the mechanics will clog up with dust and parts will degrade under the influence of lubricants and other chemicals." - I completely agree and know this to be true from experience.

I am on my second 4002 now, and when I had my first one, even after a complete very costly rebuild, exterior and mechanical refurbishing, to near-perfect condition, I got very caught up in my career and too often the 4002 was more of a show piece in my living room and not running.  Months on-end would whiz by without a single record being played.  Then, the result was ALWAYS that things would get gummed up, which I now know is totally and completely normal and caused by simply never being used.

My current plan?  REGULAR listening of some of my favorites.  LESS stupid television and more music!  It's good for the soul after all, at least that's what they say LOL....  By the way, my photo avatar pictured to the left of this post is a photo of my current actual 4002.  Love it.

I am new to this forum and very happy to have found it, so greetings to all!

Warmest regards,

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)