in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-29-2011 6:32 AM by shazbat. 57 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-12-2010 10:30 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Re: DAVID LEWIS DESIGNED ASUS NX90 LAPTOP with B & O ICEPOWER

Hungedu:

And it will look really pretty as it crashes and requires you to remove the battery, unplug it, and restart Windows. Smile

Alot of things has happened since Windows Me and the first two months after the introduction of Vista (lack of drivers).

After twenty years of being a Mac user I recently moved to Thinkpads. Suddenly I find that I don't need to spend my time constantly doing workarounds to get my job done. Ten years ago, Macs did simply work, but since then, fw has been gone a few times, other times the fw chipset wasn't working properly, even if using a TI chipset on an expresscard chipset. But lo and behold, that same chipset worked flawlessly when you booted into Windows via Bootcamp. Of course this meant, that in order to capture video and audio without glitches, one had to boot into windows, use a windows app to capture, boot into OSX, and import the same video into FCP.  What a waste of time.

Now I run a Thinkpad with Premiere Pro and Adobe Audition and, funnily enough, I haven't had a single BSOD, no freezes, no connection problems, and no need to constantly look for workarounds to get my job done.

Yes, a Mac may look prettier than a Thinkpad, but I use my computers as tools, not as something static to look at.  I need sturdy, lightweight, powerful, and dependable. You know, all the things Apple used to be seven-to-ten years ago

I get it, though: It's great for someone who likes the oversaturation of the glossy screens and don't mind the reflections, because all they do is surf a bit on the web, use iTunes and plug their iPods and iPhones into it. I'm sure it's perfect for that use. But again, so is a cheapy netbook.

/rant

• 01-12-2010 10:45 AM In reply to

Electrified:

I use a Thinkpad T60 every day for 10 hours a day at work.  I'd hardly call them "sturdy, lightweight, powerful, and dependable."

I also have a Macbookpro and it works flawlessly and is 100% dependable.  Video editing, photography, work amazingly well on macs.  Your problems with your FW card could happen to anyone...

The problem with PCs are that there are far more BAD PCs than there are BAD Macs because Apple controls the hardware.  I have a Sony Vaio laptop and it is supposed to be one of the best laptops and it is terrible compared to my mac.

• 01-12-2010 11:05 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

macjonny1:

Electrified:

I use a Thinkpad T60 every day for 10 hours a day at work.  I'd hardly call them "sturdy, lightweight, powerful, and dependable."

I use an X200s, which is both sturdy, lightweight, reasonably powerful, and first and foremost dependable. My video editing computer is a T400 with dual harddisks, and that is almost as sturdy as my X200s, more powerful, dependable, and for what it is (a bigger more powerful computer than the X-series) it's quite lightweight too.

I also have a Macbookpro and it works flawlessly and is 100% dependable.  Video editing, photography, work amazingly well on macs.  Your problems with your FW card could happen to anyone...

It used to work amazingly. Do a little research on firewire problems with FCP, and, really, editing photos on a glossy on glossy screen over saturating the colours? Really? Unless, of course, you mean "copying the photos over works amazingly" (although USB is slower on OS X than the same computer running Windows).

[Edit: No, it couldn't happen to "anyone". The reason this happened was because they began using an inferiour chipset (Lucent/Agere) instead of the defacto standard and much better chipset: Namely a FW chipset from TI, Texas Instruments - all to save a couple of cents.]

I spent almost two years getting a working MBP: Fw chipsets screwy, faulty motherboards and so on, resulting in corrupting the HDD, giving me trouble capturing audio and video and so on, only to find, that for the next model, they decided to use the Agere Lucent FW chipset AND introducing glossy-only computers, rendering the entire platform useless for anyone else but the iPhone and iPod users. You know, the ones who dabble with iPhoto, connect their iPhones and iPods and surf a little on the web.

The problem with PCs are that there are far more BAD PCs than there are BAD Macs because Apple controls the hardware.  I have a Sony Vaio laptop and it is supposed to be one of the best laptops and it is terrible compared to my mac.

Yes, the usual RDF-nonsense: Because you have a choice of what quality you wan't, suddenly it's better to be locked in to specific hardware.

Also, need I remind you, that Apple doesn't make their own hardware, but get it made from the likes of Asus.

Another point to the notion that since Apple "controls" the hardware, it must work better. Now, how do you explain that if you plug in a Texas Instrument-equipped FW expresscard in a MBP, it doesn't work as it's supposed to when capturing video and audio, but when booting into Windows and the exact same MBP, it suddenly works?

Go take a look at the web. I'm one of them who has experienced it and posted about it.

Further, it may have been somewhat true that Apple was more "integrated" back in the days of the G3s, G4s, and G5s, but now they use the same motherboards and whatnots as everyone else.

Lenovo, on the other hand, never get their stuff from Asus and the like (well, at least when it comes to their Thinkpads - I don't know about their netbooks, to be honest).

• 01-12-2010 12:17 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Maybe Microsoft will be able able to redeem itself through Windows 7 as Intel has with its more recent processors. That's why we Mac users are so quiet.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 01-12-2010 12:27 PM In reply to

I say let's give it 10 more years, and then we look back on the Mac VS PC question again...

I might be wrong, but my guess is that the average consumer might have turned Mac by then... Most people want a Mac, but can't justify the "double price". Apple should put a 500 euro machine on the market.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-12-2010 1:14 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

I say let's give it 10 more years, and then we look back on the Mac VS PC question again...

I might be wrong, but my guess is that the average consumer might have turned Mac by then... Most people want a Mac, but can't justify the "double price". Apple should put a 500 euro machine on the market.

Doubt it. Unless Apple again adds choice, I don't think that the average consumer are willing to give up on flexibility all together.

What's funny, though, is that, say, five years ago, Apple laptpos had better build quality, their pro apps were indeed pro, and their prices were just about equivalent to other good quality laptops. Since then, of course, the quality has dwindled, the pro apps aren't particularly pro anymore, and their prices have risen for no other reason than to make more money off of the products (it is cheaper to use the platform everyone else is using: Intel).

I remember when they ditched firewire on the MacBooks, and Steve Jobs, the master of the RDF, claimed that Firewire was useless and that all modern (video) cameras used USB. This of course was regurgitated by the fanboys, ignoring even that iMovie at the time could ONLY capture video through firewire. Even the iMovie programmers weren't told.

It is that sort of thing - the hardware and software "integration" and the whims of the marketing department that makes a Mac all but useless to many professionals working with audio, video and even photography.

Edit: Just to rub salt in the wound: My X200s has a resolution of 1440x900. It's a 12-incher. You need to get a 15" Apple to get the same real estate.

It has not only an SDHC-slot, but a (wide) expresscard slot, giving me choice. Oh, and the FW-Expresscard adaptor works. Big Smile

Also, I can work hard on my computer around 6 hours, and if merely web surfing or writing, it can go between 9 and 11 hours. Sure, it doesn't look as cool in the coffee shop, but it works, and takes a beating without missing a beat.

It's much lighter than a 15" Mac, much sturdier (carbon, magnesium frame etc.) and I can - if I want to - make it even lighter by using a smaller battery if need be.

• 01-12-2010 1:23 PM In reply to

Electrified:

It is that sort of thing - the hardware and software "integration" and the whims of the marketing department that makes a Mac all but useless to many professionals working with audio, video and even photography.

I agree the FW issue on the Macbooks was a poor decision, but you must be joking about Macs being useful to audio/video/photography pros?  Look at the mac market share among professionals in those areas compared to market share of macs in the general population.

• 01-12-2010 1:35 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

macjonny1:

Electrified:

I agree the FW issue on the Macbooks was a poor decision, but you must be joking about Macs being useful to audio/video/photography pros?  Look at the mac market share among professionals in those areas compared to market share of macs in the general population.

I am well aware of the market share.

But first of all, I'm not talking about the Mac Pro, I'm talking about their portables. A lot of people have (I had too) a lot invested in software and workflows (both money and energy), and are not running it on the latest hardware.

I do realise that many new professionals buy stuff because "everyone else" uses a Mac (and always have, btw), but the reality is, and whether you like it or not, the newer offerings from Apple in both hardware and software is catering to one type of consumer only: The iPod and iPhone Crowd and the feature set of the hardware and the lack of support of their "pro" apps proves it.

It's hard, however, having to learn new workflows, buying new apps across the board and what have we, but that doesn't change the fact, that when the hardware isn't working (I'm talking about the FW-issues) and thus making it all but impossible to get things done properly, it's hardly the best choice for a professional. If you can't get the quality that is needed, or sometimes even can't get anything, then it's not the right tool for the job. There are deadlines to be met, and many times you can't do it over again if it skips a beat.

Btw, need I remind you that your argument is an appeal to popularity? In other words: It's a logical fallacy.

• 01-12-2010 1:40 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My thoughts -

The hardware is the same (give or take),

if you want to use Win 7 (or XP or whatever) great, if you'd rather use OSX then that's great too.

We should all be very thankful that all the Win users of the world don't go on about it quite as much as the OSX'ers or else pretty much all conversations/threads/blogs etc would become extremely wearisome.

I'm happy that everyone's happy, I'm happy with what I've got, I'm happy that everyone else is happy with what they've got - no one can persuade everyone that an Audi is what everyone should drive and no one should try............ it's exactly the same with computers.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-12-2010 5:12 PM In reply to

Puncher:

My thoughts -

The hardware is the same (give or take),

if you want to use Win 7 (or XP or whatever) great, if you'd rather use OSX then that's great too.

We should all be very thankful that all the Win users of the world don't go on about it quite as much as the OSX'ers or else pretty much all conversations/threads/blogs etc would become extremely wearisome.

I'm happy that everyone's happy, I'm happy with what I've got, I'm happy that everyone else is happy with what they've got - no one can persuade everyone that an Audi is what everyone should drive and no one should try............ it's exactly the same with computers.

Wisely put Puncher! 

I'm happy too. Yes -  thumbs up

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-14-2010 4:55 AM In reply to

Going back to the topic, I think the laptop looks splendid, however from a form & function point of view, there's one major drawback for me:

this laptop, given its dimensions, is going to spend 90% of the time at home on a table or desk, but all the connections are on either side of the PC, so the whole clean design will be ruined by USB, power and Ethernet cables , and I don't like that. By the way, I have exactly the same problem with the MacBook Pro, all cables are on the left and not at the back..I hate cables! Angry And talking about Asus and Mac, they both come from the same factory..have a look at the Asus UX30, you'll see what I mean!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-14-2010 5:20 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Chrisreunion:

Going back to the topic, I think the laptop looks splendid, however from a form & function point of view, there's one major drawback for me:

this laptop, given its dimensions, is going to spend 90% of the time at home on a table or desk, but all the connections are on either side of the PC, so the whole clean design will be ruined by USB, power and Ethernet cables , and I don't like that. By the way, I have exactly the same problem with the MacBook Pro, all cables are on the left and not at the back..I hate cables! Angry

I completely forgot about that! I haven't had anything like that since my TiBook. I was slowly waned, though, because I kept it "on the side" (lol) while using the then new MacBook Pro.

Although, these days, I don't mind having the plugs on the side (I'm on Thinkpads now, but the same with Apple's laptops) - I seldomly have anything plugged in for long.

Besides the power plug, I sometimes connect an external scratch disk or an external HDD for backup purposes. Oh, and Expresscards for different purposes.

To me, it doesn't matter much: It's not really that useful as a laptop because of it's size, and I could do much better audio wise if I chose a netbook, an MB, an MBP or Thinkpad and streamed music to some Avi Neutrons or Avi ADM9.1s instead. Much nicer, more flexible and much better audio.

And talking about Asus and Mac, they both come from the same factory..have a look at the Asus UX30, you'll see what I mean!

Yes, Asus have been making Apple's laptops on and off for a very long time, but you're right - the UX30 looks like like it's sibling - the most differentiating thing is the sticker and colour.

It makes one wonder how anyone can still make belief that Apple's hardware is superiour to "PCs". They're the exact same as most everyone else (a notable exception being Thinkpads )

• 11-30-2010 10:06 AM In reply to

I´m I crazy if I buy this to my self in christmaspresent??;-)
  • 11-30-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Depends, I guess. As a semistationary kitchen computer, or for a dorm room, I think it's pretty nice. But even though it may sound nice for laptop/luggable, it still won't be anywhere near the audio quality of proper speakers.

My most used computer is a Thinkpad X200s. It has a downfiring mono speaker in the bottom, and I work with audio for a living.

Of course, I don't actually use the laptop speaker for critical listening of any kind, but use headphones, a swappable audio card and external (audio) monitors.

In fact, come to think of it, in a dorm room, it would be better to have a small laptop for school, and then the BS8 in the room. Perhaps that's also true of the kitchen computer.

But we're all different and if you want it and figure the speakers are useful, you should buy it.

• 12-04-2010 5:15 AM In reply to

• lenni
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2008
    • Near Düsseldorf (Germany)
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

mr_anders_son:
    I´m I crazy if I buy this to my self in christmaspresent??;-)

I couldn't resist...

• 01-18-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

Surprise [:O] Re: DAVID LEWIS DESIGNED ASUS NX90 LAPTOP with B & O ICEPOWER

:-O...wow how does it feel?? I have ordered mine today:)
  • 01-18-2011 2:39 PM In reply to

mr_anders_son:
    :-O...wow how does it feel?? I have ordered mine today:)

I think I am going place an order too.  Apparently there has been an update to the hardware.  Is the ASUS NX90JQ-B1 the newest system?

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-18-2011 2:58 PM In reply to

strange 2 versions? Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 820QM/720QM : 1.73 GHz - 1.6 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.06/2.8 GHz; Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 540M/520M/430M : 2.53 GHz - 2.26 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.06/2.93/2.53 GHz All other specs is the same Mine I have order has i7 processor....
  • 01-18-2011 4:01 PM In reply to

mr_anders_son:
    strange 2 versions? Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 820QM/720QM : 1.73 GHz - 1.6 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.06/2.8 GHz; Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 540M/520M/430M : 2.53 GHz - 2.26 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.06/2.93/2.53 GHz All other specs is the same Mine I have order has i7 processor....

I looked at the ASUS Swedish site and the US site and it appears the i7 820qm is not available here. The 720qm is the highest rated that is available in the US.  I will probably wait a month and look again.  In the meantime, I would look forward to any photos you may post.  Thanks,  Bill

• 01-18-2011 6:19 PM In reply to

Electrified,

In one hand I agree with you but on the other is complete different story.

I will try to be simple as much as I can Smile

I can say I'm addicted to Apple! 5 iMac's one MBP one old PB ...
    And I'm running windows in almost all of them ( except PB g4 :). Why? because things you mentioned above, simply OSx is not professional tool ( please osx fan's don't shoot me :)
    But, you must admit ... Dam they are pretty ! and that's it ...

Let say you can assemble great stereo for same amount of money like one pair of B&O speakers ... but I doubt they will be so nice and pretty like B&O :)
    And that's is my point ... girl is girl but pretty girl is something that touch you inside Wink

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 01-18-2011 6:36 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

nmartin771:

Electrified,

In one hand I agree with you but on the other is complete different story.

I will try to be simple as much as I can Smile

I can say I'm addicted to Apple! 5 iMac's one MBP one old PB ...
    And I'm running windows in almost all of them ( except PB g4 :). Why? because things you mentioned above, simply OSx is not professional tool ( please osx fan's don't shoot me :)
    But, you must admit ... Dam they are pretty ! and that's it ...

Let say you can assemble great stereo for same amount of money like one pair of B&O speakers ... but I doubt they will be so nice and pretty like B&O :)
    And that's is my point ... girl is girl but pretty girl is something that touch you inside Wink

Yup, they do look "pretty", but it's a tool, and as such I just want them to work, have the ability to plug what I want into them, and I need better ergonomics than a huge touchpad where more and more controls are with (huge) swipes.
    I am now a complete trackpoint user - never use a touchpad anymore. It's much less strain for your arms and wrists.

Besides, there's not enough "pretty" in the world to make up for a intermittent lack of firewire (they seem to remove it when they feel like it), no expresscard slot, non-swappable batteries, poor build quality, poor screen real estate and what have you (1440x900 on a 15" screen is just too little. My 12" Thinkpad has that resolution).

So, no, even running Windows on my Macs  wouldn't solve all of the issues for me. Some would be solved, but far from them all.

My cutting tools are quite nice these days. I have a nice chainsaw and splitting maul that iskind of  awkward to carry around (Thinkpad W500) and a fine carpenter's axe to do the finer stuff and is easy to carry with (Thinkpad X200s, 12", 1440x900).

I prefer it that way, rather than buy limited and limiting hardware.

• 01-18-2011 6:41 PM In reply to

nmartin771:

girl is girl but pretty girl is something that touch you inside Wink 

Yes -  thumbs up

I prefer touching on the outside though....

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 01-19-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

is there a laptop in this?? Big and HAVEY

• 01-19-2011 2:40 PM In reply to

mr_anders_son:
    is there a laptop in this??

Let's hope there is a laptop in there!

If I get one, I realized it's going to be a larger project.  I'll need a new desk and and new lamp

• 01-19-2011 2:41 PM In reply to

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >