in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-09-2010 3:52 PM by wirralsimon. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2010 1:46 PM

A pin in a hay stack

Hi all:

I have recently moved my Beovision 1, unplugged it and forgotten my pin - thought I remembered it, entered the wrong one and locked the TV.

I have phoned b&o to get the original pin but I don't think this is the one that I thought it was (I bought it pre owned).

Is there a cheap way to sort this or is b&o going to charge me a fortune to sort it out?

Also how do I get past the lockout screen?

Thanks

Graham

PS If  people are not happy discussing this openly on the forum because of security issues please PM me.

• 01-05-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: A pin in a hay stack

the pin system is to prevent theft of B&o products and if stolen to make the product worthless

so if you want to unlock your bv1 go to a dealer, he can order a unlock pin code

• 01-05-2010 2:17 PM In reply to

Just a simple question. Why don't you contact (if possible) the one who sold it to you and ask him for the PIN code??

-Dimitris

• 01-05-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

Hi:

Thanks, yeah I know it is to stop the TV being stolen. However, it also stops forgetful people from using their TVs. As long as it is as simple as an unlock code cool. I was under the impression however, that someone would have to come from a b&o shop and physically do something to the chip.

Thanks

Graham

• 01-05-2010 2:25 PM In reply to

Hi:

The TV has had three owners including me so it is unlikely to work. I will pursue this option if I cannot remember the code. I think I do remember it now yet as I cannot get past the "Wait" command I cannot test this theory.

Thanks

Graham

• 01-05-2010 2:35 PM In reply to

I think you have to wait now for 3-4 hours in order to get a new chance for entering the correct PIN.

-Dimitris

• 01-05-2010 2:41 PM In reply to

You need to contact the dealer with the serial number. B&O will, after checking that the set is not stolen, issue you with a PIN number - not the one you have forgotten that will allow you to unlock the set. You can then assign another pin. There should not be any charge usually! 

• 01-05-2010 2:44 PM In reply to

Hi everyone:

Thanks for all your help. I will wait a while then give it a go. Its so frustrating as over the holidays I fixed and setup my media server, fixed the computer in my room so that it is connected to the Beovision 1 and its all ready to go - now, I can't watch anything until I sort out the TV. Oh well, guess this will teach me to be so disorganised.

Thanks

Graham

• 01-05-2010 2:49 PM In reply to

Graham1982:

Oh well, guess this will teach me to be so disorganised.

Or to write the PIN in large felt pen numbers on the type sticker, or preferably somewhere else?

I really don't have much belief in the protection the PIN system offers. A generic burglar will probably have no idea of such and will load all the kit in the van along with your heirloom spoons anyway. Sure it will make it hard for them to make any money out of the loot, but it's not like they would be bringing the TV back to you after realizing that...

-mika

• 01-05-2010 2:56 PM In reply to

Hi:

Yes my point exactly - I would rather if it was stolen that someone had use out of it as opposed to the burglar realising he/she can't bypass the pin system and smash the TV to bits.

• 01-05-2010 2:57 PM In reply to

It is just a bitter feeling of a small revenge Mika. Which of course after all compensates someone vaguely.....having lost his property.

-Dimitris

• 01-06-2010 11:59 AM In reply to

tournedos:

Graham1982:

Oh well, guess this will teach me to be so disorganised.

Or to write the PIN in large felt pen numbers on the type sticker, or preferably somewhere else?

I really don't have much belief in the protection the PIN system offers. A generic burglar will probably have no idea of such and will load all the kit in the van along with your heirloom spoons anyway. Sure it will make it hard for them to make any money out of the loot, but it's not like they would be bringing the TV back to you after realizing that...

PIN codes can result in recovery of equipment [link].

Has a dealer helped you out yet? As indicated above, you do need to leave the TV connected to the mains for 3 or 4 hours until the WAIT message goes and you can then retry the PIN code.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 01-09-2010 1:13 PM In reply to

Hi all:

Thanks to Joeyboygolf and Chelmsford b&o all is sorted. Needless to say, I have removed the pin.

Graham

• 01-09-2010 3:31 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

To be honest, B&O stuff is pretty recognisable so if someone's been fooled once (ie a thief has spent the efford taking out a subsequently worthless TV) then they're more likely to just leave future ones alone.  If the system was applied across the board then it would have an incredible impact on AV theft.

Alternatively, an easier system for the user would just be to make stuff so horribly heavy that the burglar can't realistically take it away without calling in more people.  BeoLab 5's anyone?

• 01-09-2010 3:52 PM In reply to

I'd love to see a thief climbing out of a window with an Avant on his back!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)