in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-04-2010 12:14 PM by Peter. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2010 6:41 AM

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

How to get Beogram 3300 connected via Beolink converter

Hello all,

I hope somebody here can tell me what I need to do to resolve these problems. Sorry if I have missed a solution in this forum, but I havent found any when searching the forums. The local B&O dealer seems to be just as lost as I am ...

Background: I used to have my Beogram 3300 (vinyl turnable) connected to my Beosound 2300 via an B&O AUX-box and I could easily switch to get the stereo sound from my LS5500 out in my Beloab 6000 connected to the Beosound 2300, or, use my Beogram as AUX input. Remote controlling the Beogram with the Beolink 1000 using "phono" ..all worked perfectly.

Present configuration: I replaced my LS5500 with my Beovision 3-32 (surround) and connected the Beolab 6000 to the TV and the Beosound 2300 via the Beolink converter using the Audio AUX line to the Beosound 2300. CD and Radio plays perfectly through the TV to the speakers. So far soo good..

Problems:
    1. Everytime I start the TV the sliding doors on the Beosound 2300 opens and closes once. It doesnt turn on ( and it shouldnt either since I pressed the TV button, and the TV works fine.) Is it normal that the doors just open and close like this when the TV starts?

2. I cant figure out how to connect the Beogram 3300 to this configuration. I have a Beo4 (brand new, latest revision) and I cant find "Phono" as an option in the "list" menu. What is the proper device to add in the menu for the vinyl Beogram 3300? I tried to connect it to the LINK input on the Beolink Converter, thinking I could somehow configure it there…but no go.. I also tried using the B&O AUX -box and also directly connect it to the Audio AUX input on the beolink converter instead of the Beosound 2300…but still no go…

I am lost here…anyone has a solution on how to configure this ?? I just want to be able to play my vinyls on my Beogram and control it with my beo4...

Thanks in advance..

/Peter

• 01-03-2010 8:39 AM In reply to

Re: How to get Beogram 3300 connected via Beolink converter

Tricky! The problem here is the lack of connections on the 2300 - the later 3000 has an ML socket which obviously would free up the Aux socket. I suppose you could connect it to one of the inputs on the BV3 but I cannot see a way to remote control this. N.Radio uses the same code as Phono on the Beo4. 

The problem here is likely to become more common - there is a limit on the connectivity of different generations of system. To control the Beogram, you need the BS2300 but you cannot have that connected to the BV3 and the Beogram at the same time. Not easy to suggest a solution without replacing the 2300. 

• 01-03-2010 9:58 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter! Thanks for your quick reply!

I´ve been looking around for some more documentation on the 2300 and I also found the manual i got when I bought it. It turns out that the correct name on it is Beosystem 2300, What is the difference between Beosystem, Beosound or Beocenter 2300 ?

I bought this set new from a B&O store in 1998 in Copenhagen with a pair of Beolab 6000, I didnt buy a remote since I already had a Beolink 1000 with my BV LS5500.

Are there any differences technically between Beosound, Beosystem and Beocenter other than the configuration with attached speakers ?

The original manual for the Beosystem 2300 refers to that the Beo4 should have "phono" as an option in the "list" but I cant find it on either my brand now and the older Beo4 I have. The manual does not show any pictures of the connectors but when I look from the top it has: 1 AUX (currently connected to the Beolink converter), 2x Power Link ( where the speakers used to be attached, now they are connected to the BV3) and then there is a "rectangular connector with two small holes" Is this some kind of connection that can be used??) , and then there is Aerial, and Power.

My idea is, if this rectangular connector is something that could be used..or if I can buy yet another additional "black box" to attach to the Link input to the Beolink Converter and attach the Beogram through there? 

Any ideas are welcome! :-)

/Peter

• 01-03-2010 10:19 AM In reply to

I( think you are referring to the AM aerial socket - see picture. The 2300 was called a few things in its time but I don't think it ever got Masterlink. You had to use the Aux socket as you have done. 

• 01-03-2010 10:37 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, Peter!

Yep, this is exactly how it looks…its the AM Aerial socket i couldn identify. I just added "N.Radio" on my Beo4 and "Phono" comes up on the display on the Beosystem 2300..great!

OK, so that leaves only two questions, or I have to buy a BS3000 instead :(

1. Is it possible to connect some kind of "splitter" on the AUX cable to have both the Beosystem and the Beogram connected simultaneously? 

2. Is there a more advanced "black box", Masterlink or something that can do the job instead or in combination with the Beolink converter? Maybe by using the LINK socket?

/Peter

• 01-03-2010 11:10 AM In reply to

Unfortunately a BS3000 would not be much better as they deleted Datalink from the Aux socket!

The problem is this:

1. For the Beogram to work, it needs to be attached to an audio master (the 2300) and to have a data connection. It would use the input connections.

2. For the 2300 to work with the BV3, you need to use the output connections on the aux connection, but you also need the data connection.

You have only one data connection. A 7000 system or a 9500 would work fine as they have a myriad of connections. When introduced, the 2300/2500 was a mid range device so did not have all the features of the higher models. 

• 01-03-2010 11:12 AM In reply to

• 01-03-2010 11:15 AM In reply to

But no remote control and only one bit attached at a time. 

• 01-03-2010 11:23 AM In reply to

Quite correct Peter

I 'm all mixed up this afternoon. Must be the Man United result upsetting me!

Regards Graham

• 01-03-2010 12:09 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Peter and Graham, Thanks for your help!

Now I know the options, and at least I can stop messing up my living room with cables and boxes and swearing because it was driving me crazy not being able to making it work! haha

Maybe a used Beocenter 2 can be a nice replacement for the 2300…seems to have all the connections I need..

Have a great sunday! ( well, despite the Man United result then..)

/Peter

• 01-05-2010 8:49 AM In reply to

• 01-05-2010 9:21 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Peter:

Problems:
    1. Everytime I start the TV the sliding doors on the Beosound 2300 opens and closes once. It doesnt turn on ( and it shouldnt either since I pressed the TV button, and the TV works fine.) Is it normal that the doors just open and close like this when the TV starts?

Afriend of mine has the same problem with his BC 2300. As told by my dealer, older BC2300s react like that, especially if the BC2300 is located near the TV. It`s something with the movement door sensorI can`t remember....Sometimes it helps to find another place for the 2300, > 2 m distance.

Peter:

2. I cant figure out how to connect the Beogram 3300 to this configuration. I have a Beo4 (brand new, latest revision) and I cant find "Phono" as an option in the "list" menu. What is the proper device to add in the menu for the vinyl Beogram 3300? I tried to connect it to the LINK input on the Beolink Converter, thinking I could somehow configure it there…but no go.. I also tried using the B&O AUX -box and also directly connect it to the Audio AUX input on the beolink converter instead of the Beosound 2300…but still no go…

The AUX port at your BC2300 has in- and outputs (stereo). In your configuration you need the outputs to the Beovision input. AUX inputs are not used. Maybe you can split the AUX cable and use the stereo input for the Beogram. And maybe you can also split the datalink to the Beovision AND the BG3300. Not tested, just a guess. If this won`t work call Mikael (ridax). He is a Beoworld member and lives in Sweden too.  http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/ipod.htm 

I remember he made a special IR - datalink cable for Beograms, so you can control without a dedicated audiomaster (BS9000, BS3000....)

Hope this helps

Stefan

• 01-05-2010 10:01 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Graham and Stefan, Thanks!

Well, this AUX Box that is in the link you sent Graham,  is exactly the one I have ( and used succesfully in my old onfig with the BV LS5500.)

I tried to connect this AUX box in different ways, but I cant get it to work in my new config, maybe since the BS2300 and the BV 3 need to be connected simultaneously and the Beogram is controlled with the BS 2300 as a Master,  if I understood Peters post earlier correctly..

Stefan, the issue with the sliding doors makes sense then, since its placed on the wall beside the TV  (which i suppose is common way to place it..and probably have to live with it then..)

I will contact Ridax! Sounds like that special IR-Datalink cable might be something for me..…

Thanks for all your help, Peter, Graham and Stefan!

I will keep you posted on the progress!

/Peter

(Learning something new every day..)

• 01-05-2010 10:37 AM In reply to

• Stoney3K
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Eindhoven, NL
    • Posts 91
    • Silver Member

Peter :

Unfortunately a BS3000 would not be much better as they deleted Datalink from the Aux socket!

The problem is this:

1. For the Beogram to work, it needs to be attached to an audio master (the 2300) and to have a data connection. It would use the input connections.

2. For the 2300 to work with the BV3, you need to use the output connections on the aux connection, but you also need the data connection.

You have only one data connection. A 7000 system or a 9500 would work fine as they have a myriad of connections. When introduced, the 2300/2500 was a mid range device so did not have all the features of the higher models.

Hm, looks like there's a big demand for a 'Datalink Multiplexer' box after all! I'm planning to build one myself, since my BM2000 only has one 'tape' (AUX) input, and I have no less than 4 line level devices I want to connect to it. I want to avoid TP2 since I need to switch over every time in that case.

My current design has 4 stereo inputs (with Datalink), and one output for a Beocenter or Beomaster. It's an active mixer design with every input having the same input level, always-on (no switching). A lot more elegant than hard-wiring all of the DIN plugs together.

• 02-12-2010 9:35 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Stoney3K,

Let me know if you build a multiplexer lika that..you may have a customer! :-)

/Peter

• 03-04-2010 12:01 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

I have to share this with you guys :-) !!  its a happy day today!!

I sort of gave up a bit to use the beogram in this configuration and started looking for someone who could build a "magic box" or even save up for a replacement for my Beocenter 2300..

BUT, the other B&O retailer in town gave me a splitter cable (T-AUX, 6270702) for 245 Sek (roughly 24 Euros) and it WORKS!!

I can use my Beocenter as before and now my Beogram is controlled as N.RADIO on my Beo4. I can remote control it with arrow up and down
    to change tracks and Go to play or pause.

Sometimes the solution is both cheaper can easier than expected  (not too often though..)

/Peter

• 03-04-2010 12:14 PM In reply to

Brilliant! And thanks for letting us know.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)