in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-02-2010 4:00 PM by elephant. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-02-2010 10:09 AM

Beolink PC2 and direct digital conneciton

Hi,

I have been doing a little research as to how I can fully integrate my Mac Mini into my home which is wired with B&O products and thanks to a few people I am on my way.

I have managed to source a BeoLink PC2 which I intend to use so that I can play my iTunes library throughout the home.  However I also wanted to remove my DVD player and use the Mac for DVD playing and iTunes movie rentals.  For this purpose I need to connect my Mac via TosLink -> Coax to one of the Coax digital inputs on my BeoVision 26 otherwise I will not get Dolby 5.1 with movies.

I now have a couple of small problems as the BeoLink requires an analogue audio input, this seems a real shame as I hoped that the USB connection would also act as a sound card and give me a better quality audio output than the macs analog out.  Never mind I am very happy to be able to stream the music around the home.  

Problem 1:

I don't want to have to keep changing the leads on the back of the Mac if I need to switch between watching a movie and listening to music.  I guess I can use a TosLink splitter, one output would go to a TosLink Coax converter and into the BeoVision the other output would go to a TosLink to analog converter and then into the BeoLink.  Would this solution work with acceptable sound quality?

Problem 2:

I am a little concerned that the digital inputs on the back of my TV will only work with the Scart sockets and not with the DVI input?  If this is the case and I will loose high resolution connection for web browsing could I not simply set the BeoVision as Video Master and with the mac connected to the tv via scart and AV digital input would I not be able to stream music via V-Mem?

Problem 3:

In my TV room I only have one Masterlink cable which goest to the TV, i have no idea how these are wired into the house as B&O wired everything up when I had the builders in.  Is there such a thing as a Masterlink splitter cable which would enable me to plug both TV and BeoLink into one cable?

Please see rough details of my system below for information:

Room 1:

Overture 

Beogram 5500 connected via Aux

Room 2:

BeoCenter 6 23"

Room 3:

BeoVision 6 26"

Beolink

Mac Mini

With the BeoLink PC 2 I also acquired a BeoLink, is this box used for connecting an item such as a record player to MasterLink without first connecting it to an Overture or similar item?

Thanks for your time,

Nic

Filed under:
  • 01-02-2010 4:00 PM In reply to

Re: Beolink PC2 and direct digital conneciton

I hope these answers help you a little ... are you sure you have a BeoLink PC 2 and not its more recent brother the BeoPort?

Can I suggest you take a look at the BMLink and LinkPlayer threads in the Forum?

thatlondon:
    Problem 1

I don't have the luxury of using the Toslink approach, but my MacBook audio output port is dual - either electrical or optical.

Initially I split my cable into two electrical paths - one to my BV8 and the other one to my BeoPort (equivalent of your BeoLink PC 2) with its own BeoLab 4 speakers.

I found the sound acceptable.

Lately I have removed the BeoLab 4s and just use the BeoPort for its USB control and distribution over the MasterLink.

For local audio (as in your bedroom) I just use the BV8's speakers.

I now play my iTunes audio or my Front Row AV (downloads, or DVD) through the BeoVision by pressing "PC" on my Beo4 - if I don't want to see the screen but leave the music playing I press 'picture mute' ("P.MUTE" on the Beo4).

thatlondon:
    Problem 2

I am sorry, I don't think I understand this question.

thatlondon:
    Problem 3

Is there such a thing as a Masterlink splitter cable which would enable me to plug both TV and BeoLink into one cable?

Yes there is, your local dealer will have one for sale.

It is called "ML Distributor", and is a smallish black plastic box with 6 MasterLink ports on it.

thatlondon:
    With the BeoLink PC 2 I also acquired a BeoLink

Not sure what you mean by 'BeoLink' - the product section of this site lists 3 items under "Beolink" - one of which is the BeoLink PC 2.

Can you post a picture or a verbal description of this 'BeoLink' box?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)