in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-04-2010 8:42 AM by beojeff. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2009 1:40 PM

Avant TV with projector

I have acquired an US 32 Avant and I was wondering if i can use this to control a HD projector.  If so, is there a certain type/model that I should be looking for?  I have a 50" Samsung Plasma and was considering ditching this for the Avant/projector scenario.  Am I nuts?  I just want a B and O system and I'm afraid I'm not a rich man!  It seems like I might be heading in reverse as far as picture quality and thats why I wanted to implement a projector for movies and HD sports. 

thoughts?

Chris

• 12-30-2009 5:49 AM In reply to

Re: Avant TV with projector

As far as I know you cannot control a projector through an Avant. You need a BV7-40 or something else with a beosystem3. A separate beosystem 3 could possibly work, but it is quite expensive.

Good luck!

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 12-30-2009 7:43 AM In reply to

You absolutely can control a projector through a US Avant. Using the "Option 0" command on the Beo 4 will turn off the Avant's screen and transfer the video signal to a connected projector. In fact, you can even have the Avant change the center channel to an external center channel speaker when using the projector. This feature was added in case the projector's screen dropped down to cover the Avant's built-in speaker. All of the other surround speakers will still be used.

I have a Runco projector connected to my Avant in the master bedroom. Using the projector, I can have the video image visible from a jacuzzi in the bedroom. Makes for a very nice cinema experience - especially with champagne!

You are rather limited in the projectors you can use. I know that both the Runco and the Sim2 HT250 are perfectly compatible. Only 1080i is compatible (not 1080p) and you can find some pretty good deals on used Runco and Sim2 projectors on eBay.

Something to keep in mind is that the Avant's internal video is 480i or 480p and not 1080i. However, when the signal is sent to the projector, the image IS 1080i from the projector. In many cases, because of the Avant's video processing, the 480i signal on the Avant is actually superior to the 480p signal. Therefore, it is actually best to use TWO connections when connecting, for example, a blu-ray player to the Avant. You want to use a component cable connection to the Avant (or to a Zektor switch box connected to the Avant - the Avant can control the Zektor switch box if the software and computer chips are adequately updated) and also use an s-video connection to the Avant. Set the blu-ray or other device to 1080i output. By doing this, the Avant will send a 1080i signal to the projector and a 480i signal to the Avant's screen. This works beautifully.

• 12-30-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

beojeff:
    You are rather limited in the projectors you can use.

What are the limitations: Functionality/control using a Beo4? ...or something more? I have an available projector, but not Runco nor Sim2.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-30-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

I believe that the SIM2 and Runco may be the only projectors supported in the US Avant/BeoSystem 1 PUC. 

The SIM2 is controlled for "on" and "off." Also the Sim2 HT250 has a 12V trigger to lower and raise the projector screen.

The Runco is turned "on" by the PUC but it is not turned "off." You can get around this by setting the Runco to turn itself off after 5 minutes of no signal. The Runco does not have a 12V trigger to control the screen. Therefore, you need a separate trigger box for screen control. B&O tech support has documentation on how to do this.

• 12-30-2009 9:49 AM In reply to

Also, your projector must have a 15-Pin VGA input and support 1080i via the VGA input. 1080p is not supported and would therefore be a waste.

• 12-30-2009 10:40 AM In reply to

Curveball: I use a Logitech Harmony *GASP - I know* remote w/ my Avant. I plugged the Runco, SIM2, and my projector into the compatibility check. All came back as fully supported. Might this bypass the issues w/ the PUC... opening up the door to ANY projector using a programmable remote to include Beo5?

I will go ahead and experiment when I get a chance, and let you know what I find.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-30-2009 11:14 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Curveball response:

Yes, in theory.  Set up the projector in the Avant/US as either a Runco or a Sim2 and have at it.  One thing I'd be curious about though...it is implied that in supporting these projectors B&O took into account the internal video processing being done by the projectors themselves and when doing so, the Avant/US modifies what processing it does so as not to conflict.  So I'd like to know if you see any visible differences on screen between the 2 selections.

BeoJeff's initial anserw is pretty well spot-on.  I would add that later software/firmware versions of the Avant/US are also compatible with Sim2 HT-300's and 350's as well.

Solving other issues...with a few pieces from Lutron, the Avant can directly control the screen itself, if needed, and can also trigger automated lighting and drapery while making the transition from video to cinema and back again.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-30-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

Also, your projector must have a 15-Pin VGA input and support 1080i via the VGA input. 1080p is not supported and would therefore be a waste.

Actually this will depend on the projector...true with the Sim2's and the Runco, because the VGA input is the one called up when the Avant turns the projector on.  In the 'experimental' cases being discussed here it would also be possible to use a Component Video input as well.  You will need a VGA to RGB/H-V cable set though.

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 12-30-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

I assume the Avant would have to go the dealer to get these software updates?  Or I wonder if they could come to my house? 

Chris

• 12-30-2009 11:33 AM In reply to

Russ,

I would point out that the VGA to RGB/H-V cable will work for RGB/H-V (5 cable inputs) but will not work with standard Component with only the red, green, and blue cable inputs. You must use those extra black and white cables to total 5 cables. Converting to the standard Component cables is not enough and will not work. I've tried it. Please let me know if you've been successful converting to only red, green, and blue cables.

The only way I've been successful converting to just the 3-cable standard component video is by using an external scaler, which yields less than favorable results.

• 12-30-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

Achilles:

I assume the Avant would have to go the dealer to get these software updates?  Or I wonder if they could come to my house?

Chris,

I am sure Russ can comment on this... I believe they have a service suitcase and can do this in your home. Are you within a reasonable proximity of a dealer? I, unfortunately am not ~4 hours.

FWIW, my Avant is still on an early SW release so I am really excited to find out just what I can and can't do! I just logged into my Logitech account and added my projector and a "Movie" activity. I will DLOAD the config and see what happens this afternoon. (Wouldn't it be nice if B&o had a similar utility for the Beo5? I would own one.)

Also, it is nice to have a US Avant (8490) specific thread... sometimes I feel like I am on an island!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-30-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

Yes they are close to me.  I will call them and inquire about it.  It sounds like I should go with a Sim2 projector.  I will be able to play blu-ray movies on it right?  I don't know if blu-ray is 1080i or 1080p or whatever.  If I dont have the current software, will the ht-250 do that resolution?

chris

• 12-30-2009 7:44 PM In reply to

I believe that the Sim2 HT250 was one of the first projectors added to the PUC. 1080i is always supported with blu-ray.

Regardless, you might find a PUC update useful if you have an older software version. The more recent software updates added PUC support for most major blu-ray players and Apple TV. Also, Zektor component switch boxes were not supported with the early software versions.

FYI, if you have one of the earlier Avants and use it with an Apple TV, beware that you might encounter the dreaded "banding" and magenta hue on the Avant's screen. This can be avoided with just about every other device by using the S-Video connection; however, the early Avants have problems of banding and magenta hues with the component input. The Apple TV lacks an s-video connection.

• 12-30-2009 10:44 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

Russ,

I would point out that the VGA to RGB/H-V cable will work for RGB/H-V (5 cable inputs) but will not work with standard Component with only the red, green, and blue cable inputs. You must use those extra black and white cables to total 5 cables. Converting to the standard Component cables is not enough and will not work. I've tried it. Please let me know if you've been successful converting to only red, green, and blue cables.

The only way I've been successful converting to just the 3-cable standard component video is by using an external scaler, which yields less than favorable results.

Quite true Jeff, but I made the comment with regard to unsupported projectors, for informational purposes only.  If one has a projector which provides RGB/H-V but not VGA then you have an option.  If you're trying to use a projector with an Avant/US which has neither VGA or RGB/H-V then obviously you will wish to reconsider....

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 12-30-2009 10:53 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

burantek:

Achilles:

Chris,

I am sure Russ can comment on this... I believe they have a service suitcase and can do this in your home. Are you within a reasonable proximity of a dealer? I, unfortunately am not ~4 hours.

Also, it is nice to have a US Avant (8490) specific thread... sometimes I feel like I am on an island!

The Avant is intended to be serviced in the field.  Depending on a number of factors you may be able to get away with a simple software flash update, in other cases 2 E-PROMS must be changed, and then the Avant gets 'flashed'.  Before having the service scheduled, be sure to discuss precisely what you have, and where you wish to end up, so that the technician comes properly prepared.  Neither operation is terribly difficult, or too time consuming, but you don't want to have to go through it twice.  

In the Avant/US' hey-day an E-PROM swap and flash would cost around $300, so don't be surprised if you're charged something like that...and in Burantek's case a travel charge as well. Stick out tongue  BTW Burantek I currently have 2 of 'em...imagine how I feel!

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 12-31-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

it's a shame the UK Avant's are not able to play with projectors [:'(]

• 12-31-2009 11:37 AM In reply to

Hi all,

Finally had a chance to play...

Dumped the config to my Logitech, viola... worked! Everything fired up, but wouldn't switch to FORMAT0.

I tried manually using both the Logitech and a Beo4... No luck! My Avant is fine with 1, 2, and 3 -but it is as though 0 does not exist.

I went into the service menu and stumbled upon the HOME THEATER SETUP screen... all settings are 0. I have no reference whatsoever to what these values should be having gone thru both the user and ref manuals.

Any ideas?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-31-2009 12:29 PM In reply to

I am an impatient guy! Laughing

I went ahead and set the HTS settings to 1-0-1 and IT WORKS! Monster picture on the wall -looks fantastic! However, I am only getting sound out of the Avant and not the surround, but I will keep playing!

UPDATE...

The obvious... The surround needs to be setup in FORMAT0 mode just like when you setup for normal TV viewing!

Right now... Everything works perfectly!

Conclusion: Using a programmable remote (to include the Beo5) you should be able to hook ANY projector up with the inputs that you want. I am running ancient SW, ancient PUC... none of it matters. BTW, this would also include any home automation such as drapes, screens, lights, etc...

Very Happy! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-01-2010 10:09 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Congrats Jeff!

I am afraid that I can't help with the device codes for the projector at the moment.  They aren't where I thought they are on our web site.  But if you have a picture you're happy with, what the heck!

Happy New Year!

Russ

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 01-01-2010 10:59 AM In reply to

Thanks Russ...

No big deal about the codes. This was more of a "proof of concept" challenge for me. I could sit there all day and fiddle with the HTS settings in all sorts of combinations if I wanted. What better picture I would get would be probably be miniscule (I believe)... put that on that back burner for now. What makes me wonder the most is the value of the PUC and updates. So, stupid question: it seems on the surface that most of this is to retain functionality with a Beo4 and control through your chosen BV. While I do use Beo4(s), I use Logitech(s) 99% of the time. Everything I have thrown at them has worked as expected. For those that wish to remain "B&o only" then I am confident one could accomplish the same with a Beo5, though not as easily.

@[Achilles]: Whatever you decide... I think you will be happy. As users who have gone the projector route with their Beo setups may attest -it is really slick. Once the projector is on and warmed up enough to project -selecting FORMAT0 closes the e-curtains on the Avant and opens them on your wall/screen. On selecting it again to switch back to the Avant, the reverse happens. If I decide to move forward and incorporate this... the work left would be to establish the best picture settings as mentioned, dialing in any audio delay settings, and nailing down timing points for warmup and transitions.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-01-2010 11:18 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Geeked [8-|] Re: Avant TV with projector

Jeff

before we leave the topic entirely, I'll throw this out to the crowd:

Is this too much, do you think?

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 01-01-2010 11:35 AM In reply to

Russ:

Jeff

before we leave the topic entirely, I'll throw this out to the crowd:

Is this too much, do you think?

NEVER! Laughing

Though you know how I feel about second Avants... maybe we should talk again! Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-01-2010 1:08 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I am entertaining an enquiry into the silver one this afternoon.  I'll let you know if it still needs a home!

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 01-01-2010 3:44 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member