in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-30-2009 5:22 PM by Raindog. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2009 1:30 PM

Help with humming noise with Beogram 1001

Hi there,

I'm only new here after purchasing a Beogram 1001 on ebay.Smile I also purchased a cheap din socket/RCA adaptor to connect to my amp (Arcam Alpha 8 with phono stage). Now, the problem I'm having is I'm getting a very load humming sound, that only disappears when I move around the din socket lead that's connected to my amp. It can play away beautifully at times with no humming sound at all, but the slightest movement can cause the noise to return. The turntable also didn't come with an earthing lead i.e. a lead that connects my amp to the turntable. Should I be using one of these? And/or is my cheap din socket not really suitable (only €3)? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

• 12-28-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

Re: Help with humming noise with Beogram 1001

You need to run a wire from the metal casing of the DIN plug to the earth on the amplifier.

• 12-28-2009 3:32 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot Peter. Sorry but I'm only new to turntables and vinyl - so can I use any wire as I didn't get any earthing wire with the turntable? And is there a special way I'm supposed to connect the wire to the metal casing of the DIN plug? Apologies for my stupidity here as this is my first TT. Thanks again and much appreciated.

• 12-29-2009 5:01 AM In reply to

• Stoney3K
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Eindhoven, NL
    • Posts 91
    • Silver Member

Raindog:
    Thanks a lot Peter. Sorry but I'm only new to turntables and vinyl - so can I use any wire as I didn't get any earthing wire with the turntable? And is there a special way I'm supposed to connect the wire to the metal casing of the DIN plug? Apologies for my stupidity here as this is my first TT. Thanks again and much appreciated.

Any wire is good.

You can also use a metal piece of the turntable's case, and attach the wire there. Preferably out of sight and near a screw, of course. ;)

• 12-29-2009 5:39 AM In reply to

Just jame a bit of wire between the casing and the socket and then you can attach the other end to the amplifier - you will then only need a short length. Not a stupid question at all - one that has fooled many of us in the past! Smile

• 12-29-2009 12:24 PM In reply to

• scuba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-28-2008
    • Posts 48
    • Bronze Member

Hi i you visit your local hifi store you can buy adaptor cable whit female 5 pin DIN to 4 male rca plugs (you only use two of them) and a ground wire,the B&O 5pin DIN cable have a built in ground wire and whit only 2 rca plugs in the other end ,the ground wire in the DIN cable want have contact whit your amp.

Jon

• 12-29-2009 1:36 PM In reply to

Thanks a million Stoney, Peter and Jon. I'm after connecting the piece of wire successfully now and Leonard Cohen never sounded so good.Smile. The humming noise is totally gone. Thanks again and very much appreciated.

• 12-30-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

Hi again guys. Would it be ok to tape on the grounding wire (where it's attached to din socket metal casing) with some insulation tape? It's hanging on ok at the moment, but slipped off yesterday. I thought I could remove the cover on din socket and slide my wire in there but this isn't  possible. I could tape it on with some insulation tape if that would be ok? Cheers again..

• 12-30-2009 11:59 AM In reply to

All you need is an electrical contact - no matter really how you achieve it.

-mika

• 12-30-2009 1:18 PM In reply to

Agreed! You can of course solder it in place as well. 

• 12-30-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

Thanks again guys! I'll stick a bit of tape around it for the time being anyway. I might even know someone that could solder it for me too - it would be neater. Cheers!Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)