in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-20-2010 4:14 AM by SKApretto71. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-27-2009 7:42 AM

BV7-40 MkIII - a few quick queries

Hi all

I've been searching the forum for a while, but haven't found all the answers I'm looking for.  Thought it'd be quicker just to ask!

1. First off, is there any real pressing reason that I should buy the MkIV new, considering it's likely to be around £3k more?  As far as I've found from searching, the picture isn't significantly better - and the addition of Bluray doesn't interest me that much, especially considering the mode of operation from the Beo4!  I have a PS3 on the rare occasion I actually want to watch a Bluray.  I like the idea of saving my cash now, and upgrading to the latest and greatest when it really is significantly better!

2. I know most Beovisions have a sort of 'auto-aspect' adjustment feature on SCART inputs (e.g. when a 4:3 picture is playing, the screen shows it in a 15:9 box and cuts some of the top and bottom off).  Does this operate on the BV7/BS3's HDMI inputs as well?  My parents' have the BV7-32, and it doesn't operate this on the DVI input (nor does Format 1/2/3 make any difference to the picture shown).

3. In a similar vein, do the HDMI inputs allow for the PUC menu overlay when you hit menu?  Again, on my parents' 32, Sky HD on DVI will just show the Brightness/Color/Contrast menu instead.

4. If anyone's using Sky HD - what are you using to get the Dolby Digital signal from the box to the TV?  The HD box only outputs DD from the optical output, and there is no optical input on the BV7.  An optical->coax S/PDIF converter?

5. Are any of the HDMI sockets taken up internally on the MkIII, like on the MkIV?  I have 3 HDMI sources at the moment, and if I were to buy a Beosound5 at any point, I would assume I would need a 4th.

Thanks in advance.  Think that's enough for now, though I'm sure I'll think of some more!

Charlie

Filed under:
  • 12-27-2009 10:17 PM In reply to

Re: BV7-40 MkIII - a few quick queries

csmager:

Hi all

I've been searching the forum for a while, but haven't found all the answers I'm looking for.  Thought it'd be quicker just to ask!

1. First off, is there any real pressing reason that I should buy the MkIV new, considering it's likely to be around £3k more?  As far as I've found from searching, the picture isn't significantly better - and the addition of Bluray doesn't interest me that much, especially considering the mode of operation from the Beo4!  I have a PS3 on the rare occasion I actually want to watch a Bluray.  I like the idea of saving my cash now, and upgrading to the latest and greatest when it really is significantly better!

2. I know most Beovisions have a sort of 'auto-aspect' adjustment feature on SCART inputs (e.g. when a 4:3 picture is playing, the screen shows it in a 15:9 box and cuts some of the top and bottom off).  Does this operate on the BV7/BS3's HDMI inputs as well?  My parents' have the BV7-32, and it doesn't operate this on the DVI input (nor does Format 1/2/3 make any difference to the picture shown).

3. In a similar vein, do the HDMI inputs allow for the PUC menu overlay when you hit menu?  Again, on my parents' 32, Sky HD on DVI will just show the Brightness/Color/Contrast menu instead.

4. If anyone's using Sky HD - what are you using to get the Dolby Digital signal from the box to the TV?  The HD box only outputs DD from the optical output, and there is no optical input on the BV7.  An optical->coax S/PDIF converter?

5. Are any of the HDMI sockets taken up internally on the MkIII, like on the MkIV?  I have 3 HDMI sources at the moment, and if I were to buy a Beosound5 at any point, I would assume I would need a 4th.

Thanks in advance.  Think that's enough for now, though I'm sure I'll think of some more!

Charlie

Charlie,

here are my answers:

1- The best would be to compare the two TVs side by side. I own a BV-7 MkIII and saw the MkIV and I don't think the differences are

very significant. The new sets have a 120hz refresh rate and the panels are supposed to have slighter better blacks. You have to judge by

yourself.

2- If the signal from the HDMI input has a  480i/480p vertical resolution, the aspect can be adjusted correctly. For 1080, the adjustments from

the TV are far more limited and one should use the settings on the cable box/decoder instead.

3- The PUC overlays are properly displayed with HDMI inputs.

4- If the Sky/HD box has an HDMI output, the sound should be streamed with the video. Otherwise, a converter will be required. 

5- No, there are no HDMI sockets taken internally. For the North American version, the digital tuner doesn't use any HDMI connection.

Best regards,

Jean

• 12-28-2009 5:37 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

Re the Sky HD - I realise the sound should be streamed with the HDMI, but Sky have only managed to stream stereo.  It's totally stupid, but the only way to get DD out of the box is via optical.  Surprisingly, they still haven't fixed this.

Now I've just got to find someone who's selling a MkIII...

• 04-20-2010 4:14 AM In reply to

• SKApretto71
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Europe - Italy - Tuscany - Fucecchio
    • Posts 66
    • Founder

Hi,

here in Italy Sky HD decoders comes with both coaxial and optical output for Dolby Digital output. May be there are newer versions you can ask for even in your country, mine is the one with DVB-T available through USB connection.

For BV7-40 mkIII just saw some of them on sale through Lifestyle-AV web site :-)

---

Raffaele "SKApretto n.71" Sgherri

I like Chrome and spread it!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)