in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-27-2009 5:25 PM by mfirst. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-26-2009 3:24 AM

A8's or Form 2's?

Hi,

I'm having a look at new headphones, as I want to move up from the headphones included with my Zune 30. I've decided after looking at the design and specifications of headphones in the price range I have to get the A8's or Form 2's. However, I'm not sure which ones would be more suitable. So I have a couple of questions.

1. What have better bass reproduction?
    2. What is the warranty like, as in if something happens what would be the procedure?

And just a general overview of the headphones in general compared to each other would be great.

Thanks for you help.

• 12-26-2009 3:47 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Re: A8's or Form 2's?

My brother have had the form 2's for an eternity and I don't like them. The square shape of the speaker part just doesn't feel right on my ear. The A8's are my favourite headphones and I have had these for 9 years. I had them changed once, as the plastic parts in the bottom of the part that goes behind your ear broke off. B&O gave me a new pair, no questions asked.

I'm sure you soundwise can find a better pair for the same price, but I love my A8's Smile

• 12-26-2009 4:13 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Toubro:

My brother have had the form 2's for an eternity and I don't like them. The square shape of the speaker part just doesn't feel right on my ear. The A8's are my favourite headphones and I have had these for 9 years. I had them changed once, as the plastic parts in the bottom of the part that goes behind your ear broke off. B&O gave me a new pair, no questions asked.

I'm sure you soundwise can find a better pair for the same price, but I love my A8's Smile

I agree the A8's are better than the Form 2's. I would also add however that they aren't brilliantly comfortable if you wear glasses and that the sound isolation is quite poor - if you intend using them for travelling etc. I find in ear types to be much better for listening to your music while keeping the background out.

I used to wear my A8's in the office too, while working, and they are a bit of a faff if you need to keep taking them off and refitting - the in ear types are easier for that too.

All this may sound quite anti, but I do prefer the sound of my A8's to my Form 1's and would happliy listen to them at home where it's (hopefully) quiet and I won't be needing to remove them at regular intervals.

For out and about-ness however, I now prefer in-ear types ................ Sennheiser CX550's are quite good.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-26-2009 5:32 AM In reply to

A8s used to have a problem with the cord but any so affected were always simply replaced by B&O with no questions. The newer ones are less likely to be affected. Agree with Puncher - you need to try them on to see that they are comfortable. I use mine a lot as does my daughter. She has Form 2s for her computer and uses these a lot as well. I have better headphones for home use though - Sennheisser HD600 and Grado RS-1. 

• 12-26-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

I have both the Form 2's and A8's and use the Form2's more, I find the midrange silightly more acceptable but to be brutally honest they are both very poor options compared to other headphones on the market.  Would be nice if B&O offered a true high end headphone product.

• 12-26-2009 6:09 AM In reply to

Hello

A8 :)

Beosound century Beocenter2 Beolab2 Beolab3 Beolab8000 Beolab6000Black Beolab4000 Beovision Avant 32 DVD RF MX7000ML MX4200ML MX1500 Beolink1000 Beo1 Beo4 Beo5 Beosound1 Beosound6 Beocom2 Beocom6000 Serene BeoPort A4 A8 A9 LC1 LC2 Kabinet 2168 Black line FORM1 Beotime Beotruck.

• 12-26-2009 6:19 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter :

A8s used to have a problem with the cord but any so affected were always simply replaced by B&O with no questions. The newer ones are less likely to be affected. Agree with Puncher - you need to try them on to see that they are comfortable. I use mine a lot as does my daughter. She has Form 2s for her computer and uses these a lot as well. I have better headphones for home use though - Sennheisser HD600 and Grado RS-1. 

To Peter's point, when I say "listen at home" I mean to my iPod, I wouldn't propose A8's as your main headphones if you listen a lot to your system at home. I would agree with him the the HD600's are the best headphones I've heard (I've never listened to the Grados).

Interestingly (for UK member anyway) I notice Currys has installed a heaphone listening facility in some of their stores where you can compare several headphone from the same source. I would bank on the "hifi-ness" of the setup but I was amazed to see some HD600's last time I was there - I didn't think Currys went that far "up the tree", so to speak. Anyhoo, you have to be a fool to buy them there as they were charging full RRP!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-26-2009 7:08 AM In reply to

I get that they prob aren't the best options for the price, but I have gift cards for David Jones (Australian Department Store) that doesn't stock many brands (for headphones), and the best quality brands they have are Apple In-Ear, B&O and BOSE. I'd rather not get the Apple ones as I use a Zune and would be paying for useless features and BOSE in my opinion are even more overpriced than anything else. So thats why I'm looking at the B&O headphones.

• 12-26-2009 11:22 AM In reply to

I think for the price they are very good. For use with your MP3 player, they are excellent, as long as they fit! I remember Steve who originally set up the site simply could not get his to fit in his ears! 

• 12-26-2009 11:23 AM In reply to

Hi,

Having both Form 2 and A8s, from a purely functional point of view, I would suggest using the Form 2 at home and A8s on the go.

The Form 2 is extremely fragile, bulky and inadequate for outdoor use, whereas you can go anywhere with the A8s on your head, they won't drop, and when not in use, you can put them safely in their leather pouch, they weigh only 8 grams and not 68 gr,  and you don't have to rearrange your hair after each album.. Big Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-26-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

The Form 2 is probably only for someone who must have B&O at all costs!

I would say go for the A8's or possibly the Sennheiser PX100 or PX200 which are available here in the UK at most 'Department Store' outlets alongside the Bose, Apple etc.

Simon

• 12-26-2009 6:48 PM In reply to

So it looks like I'll get the A8's. Thanks for your help!

• 12-27-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

wait a minute!

I had a pair of A8's and wanted very much to like them - but Hated them!

These types of in the ear sets (like the ones supplied with ipods, etc) only fit certain types of ears.

For the vast majority of people, they fit great - but they dont fit (actually the problem is that they dont stay in my ears at all - always falling out)

Try them first to see if they fit your ears - if so, then ok - but if they dont fit well (like in my case) it will drive you crazy.

Finally sold them on ebay.

Beautiful ear pieces, but not for me - I guess I could get plastic surgery.......

-michael

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)