in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-10-2010 11:30 AM by teb9k. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-25-2009 3:51 PM

• teb9k
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-25-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 9000 CD transport issue

Hello, don't know if anyone has had this problem before or not. I have a type 2523 Beosound 9000. Everything was working perfectly until it needed servicing at an authorized service center for a radio problem. It was fixed but went immediately into storage 3 years ago. It sat vertically in its' original box during that time.I just took it out, set it up and radio works fine. But when CD sledge tries to move to or past CD position 2 or 3 it is hanging up with what seems to be some kind of obstruction. It usually shuts itself down when it gets stuck OR sometimes it manages to clunk through those spots and will play a CD. When it does get past those points and on to CD 4,5 or 6 everything is smooth as silk. It's only somewhere around the 2 and 3 positions that it has the binding up problem. Very strange. When it was shipped to me they only had the styrofoam sleeve between the glass and the top plate. Nothing else that I can see around the CD transport(sledge) area. I have the service manual and ran CD tests 71 and 73 which checked out ok, although it still ka-chunked its' way thru those two spots. Barring taking it apart or sending it in for service again I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this? (BTW, I use it in the near horizontal position sitting on a table with the 2053 bracket and the springs are set to the correct factory default position). Any help appreciated.

Regards, teb9k

• 12-26-2009 5:50 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 9000 CD transport issue

As an aid to diagnosis, I would release the sledge (details in service manual) and move the sledge manually to try and get a feel for where the problem occurs.

Regards Graham

• 12-26-2009 12:41 PM In reply to

• teb9k
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-25-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Graham. I actually did that when I ran 71 and 73. The two areas were again somewhere near CD 2 and 3 positions. I'll try it again and see if I can observe exactly where the problem is. Quite annoying to say the least. Hopefully it's something relatively simple to fix.

Regards, Terry

• 12-26-2009 1:27 PM In reply to

Can you get a feel for whether the "notchiness" eminates from under the main bed or somewhere in the wire cable area?

First check that the CD mech is level with the main bed. It is possible for the mech to be bent down and require adjustment. Should be parallel to the bed when viewed from the end of the unit. 

If you remove the back covers you can view the cables, motor and pulleys. Mechanically it is a relatively simple device with quite complex electronics.

Regards Graham

• 12-26-2009 5:19 PM In reply to

• teb9k
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-25-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

The CD mech appears to be level. I think the notchiness is coming from somewhere in the channel in the wire cable area since there is only a probelm in the CD 2 + 3 areas. Tomorrow I'll tackle removing the back covers per the service manual and take a look.

Regards Terry

• 12-27-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

• Kiwi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Hi Terry,

Had the same problem as you described. B&O serviced it and replaced the PCB which is driving the motor for switching from CD1 to 6.

Hope this helps ...

• 12-27-2009 1:34 PM In reply to

• teb9k
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-25-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Hi Kiwi,

Hmm, interesting. One would think ti would be a mechanical problem, but maybe not based on your experience. Would you happen to know which PCB number it was ?

Regards Terry

• 01-10-2010 11:30 AM In reply to

• teb9k
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-25-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Hello. As a follow on to my last post, I decided to take the plunge (risk) and put the unit in TM 72 to release the sledge, disconnected the mains, removed the glass lid, the ribbed top back cover, and the entire plastic top back cover. This gave me a better view of what might be under the top plate obstructing the transport movement between CD 2 and 3 area. Well, sure enough there was a small flexible aluminum self-stick clip stuck to the bottom of the top plate between the top area of CD 2 and 3. The wheels on the sledge were clearing it but the mounting screw for the wheel was binding up on it. I couldn't find any reference to this clip in the service manual, it wasn't holding any wires or cables, so I was able to pry it off and get it out of there. Voila, sledge now moved smooth as silk. I reassembled everything, ran TM 71 and 73, and then ran unit in random CD mode for a few hours.

End result...my 9000 is now back in business!! (The unit had been serviced previously for a different issue, so I don't know if they put this clip there in error or it somehow managed to magically attach itself from elsewhere in the unit while in transit or storage....who knows)

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Regards, Terry (happy camper now)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)