in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-15-2007 11:04 AM by Peter. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-15-2007 9:54 AM

Is this also in Europe ?

Large flatscreen TV rockets to top of Most Wanted list

Seven out of 10 American households either own or want to own a flatpanel TV, according to a new survey from Hitachi Home Electronics America. The study reveals that one in five American consumers own a flatscreen TV, while 52 per cent are interested in buying one. 

The most desired screen size is between 50-60 inches, with 64 per cent looking to step up in screen size from what they currently use.  Despite a high interest in HDTV, 66 per cent of buyers admit to being confused by the technology.

http://avzombie.com/blog/2007/06/14/large-flatscreen-tv-rockets-to-top-of-most-wanted-list/

• 06-15-2007 9:59 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Is this also in Europe ?

There's a lot of people who would like to own a TV that big, but I wouldn't say it's 7/10. In a lot of English homes, a 32" is the biggest you would realistically want to go. I know in our house, we would only just get away with a 40" in the lounge... 

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-15-2007 10:48 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I think lots of people just think that "big is good" and buy a large flat TV, but they forget to consider the viewing distance to the TV. I know one guy who just got a 50" Samsung plasma TV. He was very proud to show it, but when I asked him if it was comfortable to watch it when sitting only 2,5 m away from it, he replied that "plasmas are that good nowadays, that the distance doesn't mather anymore"...Laughing

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-15-2007 10:54 AM In reply to

I wonder who's paying for this "free" commercial on e.g. AVzombie kind of sites ; I guess the AV flatscreen industry itself......? if we talk a lot about it, many people may almost concider it obligatory to purchase a really big screen and follow the leader to a new hype wich will give the customers a chance to spent their money again, this time on a chinese restaurant aquarium-sized screen.

In america a lot of things are bigger than in europe; I guess a big screen in a big house can appear nice, but on our often smaller walls 40" will be a good size imho; otherwise there won't be any wall left to put your [B&O] speakers in front of..............:-)

50-60" [or even bigger] black hole on / in the wall ? and watch tele in the neighbours house to make a decent watching distance possible from the screen to your chair.

It's obviously all a matter of [good] taste, so I guess we will eventually follow the "fashion", for me ; I'll keep my avant and enjoy it......

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 06-15-2007 11:04 AM In reply to

Having said that, playing with a Wii on a really big screen could be fun! Just bought one for Eleanor - it is hilarious! ( A Wii, that is!)
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)