in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-30-2011 7:24 AM by sergi0. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-23-2009 12:43 PM

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Beomedia 1 and upgrading

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my Beomedia 1. 

Firstly taking the memory up from 256MB to 1GB, then changing the disc from a 160GB IDE to 500GB SATA (using a PATA-SATA converter) and also using a Gig Ethernet PCMCIA card to improve dthe network connection.

Has anyone had any success with a network card upgrade? I put the card in, configured, but it would only run at 100Mbps.

Filed under:
  • 12-23-2009 1:19 PM In reply to

Re: Beomedia 1 and upgrading

The simplest of answers (question) would be: Is the rest of your internal network capable of handling the 1000mbps? (e.g.) If the card is connected to a 100mpbs switch... it will be a 100mbps connection. Can you provide more details on your network?

I assume you are running at least CAT5e which itself is only rated to ~350-500mbps? 6e can be rated at ~650-1000mbps. Though, I don't know how trusted those ratings can be... Some say 5e can actually handle 1k over shorter runs.

++++edit++++

I believe the next rev of "beo-linking" is to run on CAT7... might as well make the leap in anticipation...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-24-2009 6:37 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

:)

My house is wired for GigE with switches. A PC connected to the same connection links at 1Gb. Note the throughput is different from the rated connection due to framing, packet overhead etc.. but it should still connect with the 1Gb protocol regardless of the traffic unless the drivers in the cut-down WinXP doesn't support it.

I just wondered whether anyone had success with a 1Gb connection - and if so, if they had to do anything to the Beomedia to support it. 

With regard to Cat7, well it is rather thick cable - and relatively expensive - and also tricky to install. I wired 5 years ago, and not keen to pull it all out of the walls for quite some time, so I'll be sticking with ML cable if I can.

• 12-24-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

I'm afraid the most needed upgrade on BeoMedia 1 is the prehistorical processor, and this upgrade is probably also the most difficult, isn't it?Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-24-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Quite.

It would be ideal to pull the ML card drivers out of the embedded WinXP as well as the beomedia app (which strangely, i quite like), then put them into a better spec'd machine..

• 12-25-2009 5:09 PM In reply to

• Frankyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-05-2008
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Did you make it to upgrade the memory and the harddisk,and does it work perfectly?

I want to try it too.

Gr, Frank.

• 12-26-2009 3:24 AM In reply to

All I can say that it NO benefit to upgrade RAM memory to 1 GBSad

I have done it, no extra performance

This product is dead end....

Maybe only way is to move MLcard and clone HDDto another computer.

I had this idea couple years ago but someone said that It maybe be some trouble when updates

comes from Struer. It will check serielnumber online. I dont know but try it. BM1 is not worth any

money more.....sad it isSad

• 12-26-2009 7:09 AM In reply to

mr_anders_son:

I had this idea couple years ago but someone said that It maybe be some trouble when updates

comes from Struer. It will check serielnumber online.

Do not worry about that. As B&O has stated NO updates will come for BM1 from now on…..

Super Angry Super Angry Super Angry Super Angry Super Angry

-Dimitris

• 12-26-2009 7:41 AM In reply to

But although I too find my Beomedia I frustrating at times (video wise), The actual functionality of it is really not all that far from what Beomaster 5 delivers.

I, for one, having a BV9, would much rather see a further development of the Beomaster 5 to closely emulate the look, ultility and navigation of the Beosound 5, but render the BeoSound 5 screen look on my BV9 .

Off course, I would use my Beo 5 remote to help simulate the rotating dials of the BeoSound 5.

How 'bout it?, Struer?  Having to get up and move over to the small screen of the Besound 5, just to navigate music, photos and Net radio is just not an attractive lure for me, at this time.

Barry

• 12-26-2009 7:44 AM In reply to

bsantini:

How 'bout it?, Struer?  Having to get up and move over to the small screen of the Besound 5, just to navigate music, photos and Net radio is just not an attractive lure for me, at this time.

Barry

on it´s way.....Wink

• 12-26-2009 2:56 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

DrDimitris:

mr_anders_son:

comes from Struer. It will check serielnumber online.

Do not worry about that. As B&O has stated NO updates will come for BM1 from now on…..

Super Angry Super Angry Super Angry Super Angry Super Angry

Dimitri,

Ellinas sigoura einai o product manager gia na parei tetoia apofasi  Laughing

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2009 2:57 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Guys sorry for the Greenglish.

Just a Greek joke for such decisions from product managers!!!!

Merry Christmas 

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

• Frankyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-05-2008
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

But I  still doesn't have an good answere about the hardisk upgrade.

can I upgrade the harddisk to 1GB?

is it possible to clone the hdd?

Thanks in advance

Frank.

• 12-26-2009 3:09 PM In reply to

Indeed Spiros… Big Smile

-Dimitris

• 12-26-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Frankly spoken I'm not a computer expert but I see no reason why this shouldn't work. After all BM1 is just an average PC based on Windows XP and a software that handles the Windows Media Player.

I think it should be possible.

Frank it's just a few screws away and a good cloning software. I guess that the Hard disc should not be that expensive so it may be worth the experiment!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-26-2009 9:39 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

I put a 1GB memory card into the BM1 and it IS faster on running video. This is because the memory buffer for video will less likely  be paged out to disk if the machine is up to something.

Next is the disk upgrade. I'm putting in a PATA to SATA converter and a 500GB disk I have lying around. 

• 12-27-2009 5:17 AM In reply to

• Frankyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-05-2008
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Oké,

let my now if you do it and its working good.

Thanks

Frank

• 04-29-2011 2:32 PM In reply to

Hi Guys

The world of RAM seems fraught with danger!....is this OK to try in my beomedia 1 as I need to try something to see if it is capable of rendering video without stuttering!!

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=0FE098C8A5CA7304

Thanks

Mark

• 04-30-2011 7:24 AM In reply to

considering it is the same kind of ram in term of specs, it should not have any problems.

regarding the possibility of cloning the harddrive in order to load the image on another computer, no problem EXCEPT that you may certainly have some work to do in order to boot the B&O XPe  from it.

I am thinking buying a BM1 in order to to this hack. The BM3 is the same kind of hardware, a little better, but far from any ATOM setup, which are far away in term of performance as any regular processor.

I do not work for B&O, but I am sure they work on a new BM, probably using this kind of hardware (Sigma Designs 8642) with network streaming possibilities.

I am the owner of a DUNE HD Smart B1 (http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/current/134-dune-hd-smart-b1.html) and I realize that the work for B&O to make a setup like that is not as difficult as it looks. They prove to have made some nice work with BM1 and BM5 in term of hardware integration and software developement, so they clearly have the capabitilies and human ressources to make such a universal box.

Keep in mind that it is a new world from B&O : it is the computer one. Clearly, it needs other competences than the one needed in audio/video techs.

sergio

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)