in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-26-2009 4:36 PM by macjonny1. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-23-2009 8:49 AM

To BS3 or not BS3, that is the question!

OK Here's my situation and any that can help would be appreciated.  I'm in the US and have the following equipment, and I'm trying to build my surround setup.  I have 2 sets of wall-mounted BL 6000s and am working on getting a pair of 4000s for the center channel and a BL2 when I can afford it too.  I have a BC 9500 that I currently only have powering the front BL 6000s of course.

I have a new Samsung LED TV, which I don't plan on replacing, as it is brand-spanking new, and very nice.  I'm also keeping the BC9500 no matter what I do and will feed the audio-out from the BC9500 to whatever receiver I get.

I recently procured a used Beosystem 1 locally but it was damaged during shipment and isn't working.  I have tried hooking it up to several computer screens, projectors, and two TVs and can't get the service menu to come on even.  Plus, it is really a beast of a machine anyway and I don't need it for video switching as my TV has better video inputs.  Mainly was going to use it to process multi-channel surround and hook up my TV audio out to it.

My question then (if I can't get this beast up and running) is if it is worth the $7800 US to spend on a BS3 when I don't have a B&O panel.  I've read all the posts about it and it seems most would suggest that it isn't worth it.  I know I can get a receiver with pre-outs that would work but there will be some clicking on and off of the surround channels at times when they don't get enough of a signal? 

To summarize:

1)  Is the BS3 worth it when you don't have a B&O panel?  And would it be hard to get up working due to compatibility, etc?

2)  If I get a receiver with pre-outs, any recommendations?

3)  Any solution (not including modifying my equipment electrically) to the clicking on and off of the speakers with non B&O equipment, and how annoying is it?

THANKS ALL and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

• 12-23-2009 2:28 PM In reply to

Re: To BS3 or not BS3, that is the question!

Or if no one has an answer I will take donations of your unwanted BS3!  Big Smile

• 12-23-2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• LarsJensen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 65
    • Bronze Member

Since you plan on keeping your BC9500 no matter what and since you are already more than half way to a full B&O surround I would suggest you buy the BS3 given that it will work with your Samsung monitor.

This is the only way you will get a nearly trouble free integration with both your audio and video setup being able to use your speakers without a lot of work around that will never fully work.

If you buy the BS3 all you would need is the MCL/ML converter and your BC9500 and BS3 would be fully integrated.

In your position I would buy the BS3 no doubt.

/Lars

• 12-23-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

Thanks Lars!  After reading all of the posts it does look like trying to integrate everything will result in a pile of cables and more remotes.  I like Apple products with their simplicity and it sounds like I should just head that direction with a (almost) full B&O setup.

By the way, I think it is actually a Beolink converter that would integrate the two together.  Aux and powerlink from BC9500 in to the Beolink converter and masterlink cable connecting the Beolink converter and BC3.

• 12-23-2009 5:08 PM In reply to

• LarsJensen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 65
    • Bronze Member

I get the same impression from reading all the other post. Spending that extra money up front will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

You are absolutely right about the converter.

Good luck with project and happy holidays.

/Lars

• 12-23-2009 5:12 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I know you said you're happy with the Samsung but, if you're happy to spend that amount of cash, wouldn't replacing it with a BV8 or even a BV10, and integrate your system that way, make more sense?

All that money for a set of masterlink and powerlink sockets seems expensive for audio switching only (and it still can't decode HD audio internally) - if you do buy the BS3 can you then turn off the picture processing of the Samsung and use it instead? - it doesn't seem likely.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-23-2009 5:21 PM In reply to

• LarsJensen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 65
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

I know you said you're happy with the Samsung but, if you're happy to spend that amount of cash, wouldn't replacing it with a BV8 or even a BV10, and integrate your system that way, make more sense?

All that money for a set of masterlink and powerlink sockets seems expensive for audio switching only (and it still can't decode HD audio internally) - if you do buy the BS3 can you then turn off the picture processing of the Samsung and use it instead? - it doesn't seem likely.

Good point and good alternatives – though the Samsung may be a lot bigger 40”.

To the best of my knowledge most Samsung will do pixel mapping when connected through vga, hdmi or dvi.

/Lars

• 12-23-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

Puncher,

I actually got the Samsung 7000 series LED 55" for $1900 US which is an incredible deal, and that included tax and everything.  I would of course lose the color management but to be honest the audio is more important to me as the Samsung picture is really good.  Plus, it is impossibly thin.  Don't get me wrong I'd trade it for a B&O but I'm also 2000 miles from the nearest B&O dealer!

I'd want to check in to the BS3 combination with the Samsung before buying the BS3 of course.

• 12-23-2009 6:23 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

macjonny1:

Puncher,

I actually got the Samsung 7000 series LED 55" for $1900 US which is an incredible deal, and that included tax and everything.  I would of course lose the color management but to be honest the audio is more important to me as the Samsung picture is really good.  Plus, it is impossibly thin.  Don't get me wrong I'd trade it for a B&O but I'm also 2000 miles from the nearest B&O dealer!

I'd want to check in to the BS3 combination with the Samsung before buying the BS3 of course.

So where do you live Alaska?  That's the only place I can think of two thousand miles from a dealer in the US.  May be there is a dealer in Russia that would be closer?  :-)

Also any time you hook up a B&O processor to another manufactures TV you end up with a processor processing video and feeding it to another TV's processor.  Even if you have HDMI inputs you may not get a proper full screen image.  With the Beosystem 1 you would have had video image issues for sure.  I imagine some one shipped you a BS 1 by UPS which probably broke a board or connection in the chassis which is very fragile.   That processor needs to ship very carefully.  

• 12-23-2009 6:48 PM In reply to

Thanks Expoman....Actually it is about 1000 miles I live in Washington. 

Yes they did ship UPS and you are probably right.

I was looking at the Samsung Manual and noticed there is a section on "setting up your TV to be a computer screen."  I'm wondering if this is how one could set up the TV to not do it's own adjustments.  Here's a quote from the section:

"Auto Adjustment
    Use the Auto Adjust function to have the TV automatically adjust the video signals it receives.
    The function also automatically fine-tunes the settings and adjusts the frequency values and
    positions."

• 12-23-2009 9:08 PM In reply to

I would say that it would be worth it even to wait for the BV10-55. I can't help but to think (and I'm a dealer!) that the BeoSystem 3 is overkill. You'd have to spend money to adapt the BeoCenter 9500, and you wouldn't get the full benefit of the picture engine. Not to mention that many of the capabilities (projector out, etc) are wasted even in a "complete B&O" setup. I'd move the Samsung to another room in a year or so and put what will be a very competitively priced BV10 in its place.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-23-2009 10:57 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

macjonny1:

Thanks Expoman....Actually it is about 1000 miles I live in Washington. 

Yes they did ship UPS and you are probably right.

I was looking at the Samsung Manual and noticed there is a section on "setting up your TV to be a computer screen."  I'm wondering if this is how one could set up the TV to not do it's own adjustments.  Here's a quote from the section:

"Auto Adjustment
    Use the Auto Adjust function to have the TV automatically adjust the video signals it receives.
    The function also automatically fine-tunes the settings and adjusts the frequency values and
    positions."

It depends on the resolution that the TV supports for the PC.  I have seen some that only 640 X 480 for PC.  The Panasonic sets do this and it makes things not fit.  The Beosystem 3 expects 1920 X 1080 which is not a standard PC resolution.  The Beosystem 1 likes 768 X 480 which also most TV's do not set as a PC resolution.  The best solution I have seen is to use a Beosystem 1 connected to a Zector HD switch box to switch the HD video signal directly from the sources to the TV.  As long as all your sources support component video (Red Green Blue) This works the best because you avoid the Beosystem video processing.  I agree that both systems are overkill in your set-up but the Beosystem 1 is a better choice given the low prices they can be purchased for and they work with your other gear.  Email me if you have further questions on the Zector unit. 

• 12-24-2009 2:50 AM In reply to

It looks like it does support 1920x1080, horiz frequency 67.5khz, vertical frequency 6khz, pixel clock 148.5Mhz, +/+ sync polarity (H/V).

There are also 21 other resolutions supported in PC mode (not the 768x480 however).  So, hopefully that is good news with the BS3 if I go that route.

• 12-24-2009 2:52 AM In reply to

Trip you are killing me.  Looking at your other posts I thought for sure you would say for me to not get a Denon or whatever receiver and have another remote, etc!  Big Smile

• 12-24-2009 2:52 AM In reply to

Trip you are killing me.  Looking at your other posts I thought for sure you would say for me to not get a Denon or whatever receiver and have another remote, etc!  Big Smile

• 12-24-2009 5:34 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

macjonny1:

I think Trip saying pretty much the same as me - not to buy a Denon (or whatever) but to spend the BS3 money on a BV10 (or BV8) and used that to process and distribute your audio and integrate your system.

The BS3 route means another box, additional cabling and you may not use a huge portion of it's internal capabilities (if you can't bypass the Samsung's internal processing) - it could end up being just a (very expensive) audio switch.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-26-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

Thanks for all your replies.  It has given me a lot to think about for sure. 

One last question about the BS3.  I don't know as much about the different models of the Beovisions, but if I got the BS3 and then upgraded to a B&O TV, aren't there some models that don't include the BS3 with it?  I understand the bewer Beovision 7s include it but couldn't I use the BS3 now and save money on a future B&O TV by not having to buy the module later?  If all of the B&O TVs being sold now include the BS3 processing then please educate me!

THANKS!

• 12-26-2009 4:25 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

The only TV that includes the same Beosystem 3 is the Beovision 9.  The Beosystem 3 in the Beovision 7 is integrated into the chassis of the TV and not removable.  The Beovision 9 just has the Beosystem 3 attached to the back.  

• 12-26-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

OK so for the new Beovision 7s the BS3 wouldn't be of value, but for the BV9 you could get away with not buying one and save some money.  I'm assuming the BV10 doesn't have one either as it doesn't do 7.1 sound only 5.1

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)