in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2009 9:53 AM by flx. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-22-2009 10:40 AM

• flx
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Belgium (Tienen area)
    • Posts 25
    • Gold Member

New B&O project - some questions before buying

Hello everybody,

After a longtime passive user of this forum and B&O adapt (my parents use it since 1986); my wife and I are finally in the market for a full B&O home installation. Nevertheless I would like your advice on some things.

I will start with my "needs/habits":

- I would like a simple, hasslefree, foolproof system with extra's such as a timerfunction and roomlink capabilities.

- In total I have about 250 cd and I'm using I-tunes (& ipods) since a couple of years and buying my music online.

- Most of the time I listen to the radio or recently bought I-tunes songs and CD's.

- The Main room is a closed 5m by 10m (part living and dinning room) (see plan as attachment)

- Main room TV: the Beovision 10 (not the BV 7 40 which was on my first quote, reason: cheaper and I will never use the Beosystem 3 options)

- Question 1: What do I hook up as audio system ?

- the beosound 4 (or Beosound 3200)?

- includes timerfunction

- apparently capable of listening to different sources in different linkrooms (is this confirmed ???)

- nevertheless pretty

- simple radio, cd (and Memcard function)

- capable of connecting to Beomaster 5 (operated either through the BV10 or on the BS4, right ?)

- and still works perfectly when BM5 would it decide to breakdown or freeze up, or when the internetconnection is lost

- No MOTS

- Can I connect a BS5 to this as well?

- Beomaster 5 + Beosound 5

- timerfunction ??? Not available or maybe through an software update ? Or just use Beotimes?

- hasslefree ???

- eye-catching

- MOTS

- Question 2: My current idea is to go for the BS5 (and BM5) with the option adding a BS 4 or BS3200 in the future. I guess than mainly because of it esthetics or does it have extra possibilities). How would or can both work together in a ML systeem and which to make the master with what consequenses?

- Question 3: What Loudspeakers connected ?

- Beolab 4000 (4 times to create surroundset up)

- I like the design very much as they are unobtrusive and pretty

- ICE power - but enough ??

- linked with a Beolab 2 for bass

- cheaper

- Beolab 3 (4 times)        

- I would assume enough ICE power

- less unobtrusive

- plus the Beolab 2 ?

- more expensive , worth it ?

In the linkrooms I would have mainly BV8's or BV6's (Kitchen, study, masterbedroom) and a BL3500 (bathroom).

The HD content would be coming from a separate Kathrein SAT-receiver with 500GB HDD, a TVIX and a Blurayplayer

Please advice , any input is most welcome !

Seasons greetings and happy 2010.

• 12-22-2009 1:02 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Re: New B&O project - some questions before buying

My opinions, really quickly, you should consider the Beosound 5 / BM 5 combination, you already use a computer for all your musical needs, just get BS5 / BM5 on the job. As for speakers, I think the Beolab 3 is the best speaker value B&O has in its current range. Prior to acoustic lenses, the BL4000 was the best value. I would invest in a BL2 (it makes the sound much rounder and more vibrant), though for the main listening area. Maybe a pair of BL4000s in a link room listening area as well. Ask your dealer to throw in Masterlink cable and some distributor boxes for free. Cheers! Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 12-22-2009 1:23 PM In reply to

I think you will only need a Beotime. Laughing Laughing

Good luck to your setup. The more experienced members here will assist yoiu better than me. I currently have BL8000's for fronts BL4000's for rears, and i will add a BL2 (or the new sub that is coming up). I am happy with my setup so i think you will be also....

Good luck

-Dimitris

• 12-22-2009 1:24 PM In reply to

well if you use itunes to organise all your music, i highly suggest you to use tv , which is a great product!it's not expensive and userfriendly,you can use it with your beo4!

Apple tv use genius(like MOTS) and it's fully integrated with you library,it's fantastic

and with the money you save,because you have a lot of CD's, buy a beosound 9000 which is beautiful on ebay!

PS i know, your dealer will be a little disappointed,but  on ebay you can save a lot of money, especially on product dated like BL3 and BS9000, just take a look at the sponsor of this site or ebay to have an idea of what you can save!

Well i spent over 23000€ on B&O for my home theater setup,and in my humble opinion, especially if you are looking on dated product, every time i give a look  on ebay,i feel a little frustrated.

this is my opinion,maybe money for you is not a problem,

PPS:you don't have a very happy position to place the beovision 10 :)

• 12-22-2009 3:04 PM In reply to

I like the BS 3200 because of the aesthetics.  I started with a BeoCenter 2300 years ago, which is now in storage.

The problem is that as you are also considering a BM5+BS5, the BS 3200's storage and music management capacities would be redundant.  In addition, you would have a little-used device (the BS 3200) with a time bomb inside —the hard disk, which can either go whiny and buzzy or break down at any time, with expensive results.

As I knew my main repository of digital music would never be the BS 3200 (instead I use a BeoPort hooked to a Mac Mini), I decided to skip on BS 3200.  Instead I was fortunate enough to find a new BS 3000 sealed in its box.  The BS 3000 is identical to BS 3200, without the hard disk.

With BeoSound 3000, it is not possible to listen to more than one audio source in various rooms at the same time.  As I have no video sources, I don't know if it is possible to listen to one audio source in some rooms and one video source in other rooms.

One major downside of BS 3000/3200 is that in an age of BM5/BeoPort systems that can store tens of thousands of songs, having a dim 8-character display as interface feedback is cumbersome.  I think other, more modern devices from B&O have bigger screens which better enable Beo4 music playback selection.

With regard to the timer functions, I had always a hard time managing timers on my various linked devices, which include a BL 3500.  For alarm clock purposes, I am much more at ease with the BeoTime.  The BeoTime can also put to sleep equipment after a while, just like a timer.

• 12-22-2009 5:31 PM In reply to

I had a demo of Beosound 5 from the Lincoln store and I really couldn't see the point of it at all if you already have a computer and a TV.

As one of the posters has already said I'd go for an 'old style' music system for the CDs.   Somewhat controversially I wouldn't touch the BS9000 with a barge pole as its functionality is superseded by the multiplay functionality of the digital media you have.  It's a pity the Beocentre 9500s are getting a bit long in the tooth....

A beocentre 2 with its DVD functionality alongside an Apple TV or Beoport solution on the back of your BV-10 would be my recommendation.

Edit - just noticed you said you'd got a blueray player.  Don't know much about these - if they play CDs well enough do you need a separate B&O audio system at all?

• 12-23-2009 12:27 AM In reply to

For speakers I would probably choose Beolab 3's as well. Not sure if I would add a Beolab 2, which produces too much boom for my taste. It works well with movies, but it's not really suitable for listening to music in my opinion. I would wait for the new sub.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-23-2009 12:41 AM In reply to

According to the UK Price List, going rate for a BL 3 + 2 = £4,800, whereas a BL 9 is £5,800. If you're going to go that route, why not spend the extra £1,000 for the superior sound performance (in all aspects except house-rattling movie bass) and (IMO) beauty... Cool

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 12-23-2009 9:53 AM In reply to

• flx
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Belgium (Tienen area)
    • Posts 25
    • Gold Member

Wow, thanks so much for the advice !

- The suggestion to get BL9 instead of BL3 because of only slight price difference is not the case for Belgium, The BL3 are 3.500 EURO per two and a pair BL9 are 7.600 EURO (that more than double or the price for two pair of BL3's). Plus I don't really have the place to put them (I want something wall mounted).

- I think I'll wait for the new sub as well (those BL3 give a pretty good sound already)

- The suggestion of E-bay: I would dare maybe for linkrooms (a BV 7-32 instead of an BV8 for the same price) . I don't know about buying loudspeakers, you never now how they were used. But I think I rather buy a dealer approved Second Life deal.

- Apple TV: I don't see the added value to e.g. a Dvico TVIX or a Lacie MultiMedia HDD, as Internet and Internet Radio comes through the BM 5? Or would it source my Itunes to the link rooms and be remote operated from there or do I need an apple TV in each room ?

- I don't want my tv to dominate the whole room, there it hangs in the corner next to the fire place where it can be "hidden" when unused.

- The open question remains: How would a BS3200 and BS5/BM5 would act together ? Master/Slave and what can I acces in the link rooms ?

- What about the BV10? Is it capable of sourcing video to the linkrooms ? Eg the blu ray from the living to the BV8 in the master bedroom ?

MErry Christmas everybody and may all your B&O dreams come out

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)