in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-27-2009 12:42 PM by solderon29. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-21-2009 10:26 AM

• Henkd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2008
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

MX 5500 audio distortion

I have a problem with the audio of my MX5500

When switched on all is ok except that audio is not good, very loud distorsion through the internal speakers

When I mute or put the sound externally via an AV amplifier it is gone.

Switching the TV off gives sometimes the same loud noise, fading away in loudness.

I have replaced the 'video and sound switching board' because R160 has been too hot.

No changes however, should I replace the two TDA and the 3300u capacitors or look elsewhere?

Suggestions?

Filed under:
  • 12-21-2009 12:04 PM In reply to

Re: MX 5500 audio distortion

Greetings.Do you mean a loud crackling type sound when you switch on or off?

It could be the sound output chips as you say,but it's unusual for both to go.

A common cause of this noise is poor grounding of the crt metal rim.Clean the gold coloured s shaped hooks that anchor the earthing band,and where they connect to on the crt.

N.B. Don't go inside a tv unless you are confident.There are dangerous voltages present even when the set is disconnected!!

• 12-21-2009 12:12 PM In reply to

• Henkd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2008
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I will see to it.

Its hard to describe the noise, but it is not only when switching on/off, it is allways there, also if the unit is on internal speakers.

Don't worry I have repaired this tv several times.

• 12-27-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

• Henkd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2008
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

I have cleaned the gold coloured hooks, they where quite dusty.

Seems the works at start-up, but after a while the 'craking' noise is back.

As I replaced the 'Video and sound switching boards' it must be someting on the main board.

Any sguggestins or hints are welcome.

• 12-27-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

As cleaning the crt grounding clips seems to have made a difference,could it be that the connection is poor further along?Check the crt base connector,they are notoriously troublesome.Clean the crt pins (carefully)and check the grounding is continuous through to the main chassis.

I've had this problem where it was caused by a noisy chip on the av board,but you say you replaced this board.(The one with the scart sockets)

If the noise is not there when you listen via the headphone socket,it has to be due to the speaker relay RL1.Tapping the relay will prove this.

Otherwise,it's worth checking the caps etc in the muting circuit,eg C64,D29&30,C71,70,61&62.

Regards,

nick

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)