in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-21-2009 7:01 PM by Harry2008. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-21-2009 4:49 AM

Advice needed

I'm considering buying my first Bang & Olufsen televisions and would like to hear your opinion and advice. A I see it I', faced with two-three main options. Base case is to buy a new Beovision 10-40" or alternatively to buy a used (2-3 yrs) Beovision 7-40" or a new Beovision 8-4"

Is there any limitations or opportunities I should be aware of when choosing between the two?

• 12-21-2009 5:14 AM In reply to

Re: Advice needed

I faced a similar choice a few weeks ago and eventually decided on a new Beovision 8-40.

I like the styling on the BV8 as it reminds me (not sure why) of a 'normal' TV, not a generic panel.  It's also the cheapest in the range and that made sense for me as I'm not a massive TV viewer or into the home cinema experience.  In essence I saw it as the nearest replacement for my defunct MX7000, albeit with a bigger/modern screen.

I'm very happy with the choice; the picture is excellent even in standard definition and the sound is quite good too.  On the downside, I'm not too sure about the rubbery texture of the case material as it attracts dust and has a sort nap to it which makes it look like its marked if you touch or clean it.

Peter's owner's report of the BV-10 tells you all the details you need to know.  I believe he concludes that it's a superb picture but has limited sound, mainly due to the physical limitations of the speaker system.  I believe that the chassis is the same as the BV-8, but of course it uses a backlit LED panel.  It costs £2500 more than the BV-8, so it's down to personal opinion as whether that's worth paying for differences in screen and styling.

The BV-7 has a more advanced internal processing system (Beosystem 3?) which provides a full home cinema platform.  A new one didn't make any sense in my personal circumstances at £10k.  A second hand one probably costs the same as a BV-10 and at that price I felt the BV-10 made more sense - more up to date screen technology, great design and of course it's new with longer warranty etc.  A new BV-7 is due out which may push down the price of the second hand ones making them more attractive.....

AP

• 12-21-2009 8:03 AM In reply to

If, as seems to be the view, the BV10 has limited sound performance then I'd say that's ruled itself out unless you plan to use external speakers.

If that leaves the choice between the BV7 and the BV8 I'd have to go for the 7 - I know it costs a whole lot more but the sound is great and it to me it looks like a B&O TV should. The BV8 is OK but to me it looks what it is, the economy model.

Having said all that, I have a BC6 which most people on this forum will say is too small, is not that affordable and is badly lacking in the screen tech specs department!

• 12-21-2009 9:33 AM In reply to

The sound performance of the BV10 is not that bad! As stated, it is good, but not in the same league as the Beolab 7. Compare it to a normal TV and you will be very impressed. You will also be very impressed by the thin design and the picture, which at present is in my opinion the best 40" available in the B&O range.

• 12-21-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

i bought the BV10 as well. Sound is quite impressive if you compare it to the "normal"  flat screens out there. However, compared to the speakers supplied with the BV-7 it is certainly less. However, I have combined it with external speakers (for the 5.1 experience) which compensate more than adequate.

If you want your screen to take less space, I should consider to go for the BV-10 (eventually wait till late spring for the 46" version) and use the money saved on the BV-7 to buy some additional speakers.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)