in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-24-2009 7:25 PM by Stephen Neale. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-20-2009 12:21 PM

Christmas greetings and some thoughts on Beoworld

Christmas greetings and some thoughts on Beoworld

Back in April I caught the most virulent strain of the Beovirus – the vintage collecting one.  I now have a Beogram 4004, a Beogram 1700,  a Beomaster 4400, 2 Beocord 5000s and a pair of Beovox S45.2 s  all in beautiful Rosewood. Recently I’ve added a Beocenter 9500 and a pair of CX100s.

In the last 9 months, I’ve rediscovered vinyl as a source of recorded music, leant how to repair a sticky pickup arm lift/lower on the BG1700, and tried my hand at soldering (rubbish) and renovating veneers (better).

I’ve met Tim Jarman, visited Lee in Eastbourne (6 points and a wopping great fine for my speeding indiscretion on the way there, too) and discovered Axel’s beautifully re-tipped MMC cartridges. 

And all this is mostly down to you Beoworlders.  Without the site I wouldn’t have done any of the above.  I certainly wouldn’t have my BM 4400, which was a wonderfully generous gift from Peter.

In this highly acquisitive, self-centred world, it has been something of a revelation to discover such generosity and thoughtfulness as exists amongst members on this site.  It has actually changed me and my behaviour.  I think I may be a better person as a result of my experiences.

So to you all, a very Merry Christmas and thanks for helping me be less cynical about the world.

Cleve

• 12-20-2009 1:17 PM In reply to

Re: Christmas greetings and some thoughts on Beoworld

Merry Christmas Cleve!

Vintage B&O and vintage Saab.................. was it the Saab that got you those points?

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-20-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

What a heartwarming story! Yes -  thumbs up Great to hear that your experiences have made such an impression! Have a merry Christmas!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-20-2009 1:40 PM In reply to

Merry Christmas to you Cleve!

A great story and glad to hear that someone else can get into collecting B&O as quickly as I did :)

Your 2400 now has new dial lamps, courtesy of the kit you sent me, and a new hinge is on its way from Martin in Denmark. Once that's fitted I'll send you some pictures!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 12-20-2009 2:10 PM In reply to

vikinger:

Merry Christmas Cleve!

Vintage B&O and vintage Saab.................. was it the Saab that got you those points?

Graham

Graham,

Can't really blame the car - but yes it was!  Too easy to be cruising at over 100, even in a '94 9000 CSE with 135,000 miles on the clock. 

I could blame B&O - I was hurrying to pick up the Beomaster 4400 Peter had left with Lee!

Cleve

• 12-20-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

beautifully said

the people here are as fabulous as the products themselves

may you all have a wonderful and safe Christmas season for yourselves and you loved ones and friends

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-20-2009 4:52 PM In reply to

Similar story here Clevie. I joined Beoworld about a year ago and bought my first pieces in January.  Since then I have added a few more pieces and not added others mostly based upon the opinions and experiences of more seasoned B&O entusiasts who belong to this site.

• 12-21-2009 9:34 AM In reply to

Hello

And merry cristemas to you all from Denmark....!

/Uldall

Beosound century Beocenter2 Beolab2 Beolab3 Beolab8000 Beolab6000Black Beolab4000 Beovision Avant 32 DVD RF MX7000ML MX4200ML MX1500 Beolink1000 Beo1 Beo4 Beo5 Beosound1 Beosound6 Beocom2 Beocom6000 Serene BeoPort A4 A8 A9 LC1 LC2 Kabinet 2168 Black line FORM1 Beotime Beotruck.

• 12-21-2009 12:36 PM In reply to

BeoWorld is more than the sum of its parts. It has been my pleasure to e-meet so many interesting people from all over the world that share the same passion. It makes the world seem a much smaller, happier place! Happy Holidays to all!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-21-2009 3:28 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Thank you Cleve on behalf of the whole moderating team for your kind commentsSmile

It is people like yourself (of which there are many on here) which make the running of Beoworld such an immense & continuing pleasure.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-22-2009 6:59 AM In reply to

I would just like to add my thanks to all the Moderators and members of Beoworld. Without this site my home would be free from clutter and not full of old stereos that I dont really need! Every one on here seems if friendly, generous and helpful.

Many thanks Beoworld and Merry Christmas to every one.

• 12-24-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I couldn't agree more with the expressed sentiments regarding Beoworld and it's contributers, moderators, etc.

I've found that I go through phases where I peruse the Beoworld website several times a day and then phases where I check it every few days, but I've always come back to this crew as it is without-a-doubt the nicest forum that I've encountered on the web (and I'm a member of quite a few forums).  When the hurricanes ravaged the southeastern USA four or five years ago, the old Beoworld site was, at that time, up and running and I'll never forget that when I found a "hotspot" with working WiFi (which was hard to do as we were without power for a couple of weeks), I realized that I'd been inundated with messages from members of Beoworld inquiring as to how I was doing.  I sat in that Starbucks (the only available, working WiFi in town at the time) and remember being truly humbled that so many cared enough to write me (i.e. someone they'd never met in person).

I think the promise of the internet's ability to keep us "wired-in" and connected to others has almost become an empty promise as, in many cases, the internet serves as a poor substitute for direct human interaction.  Heck, in many instances, it can even distract from more meaningful, direct human interaction.  Yet, a few places on the web, in my experience, transcend this and live up to the original promises and expectations of the "information highway" in terms of enabling meaningful interaction (rather than hindering it) between peoples.  I'd humbly contend that Beoworld lives up to that original promise and that this is a rare quality amongst websites / internet communities.  I'd also suggest that this is due to a genuinely good crowd of people.  I'm proud that I'm a member of Beoworld, and I appreciate all the kindness (usually in regard to answering my dumb questions) that you guys and galls have extended me over the years.

I realize that the thriving metropolis of Mobile, Alabama (tongue-in-cheek) isn't exactly a "destination vacation" for those traveling to the USA, but please know that if any of you are ever over this way, you have a place to crash, have a glass of wine, and listen to my humble B&O stuff.

Merry Christmas to all!

Mark Douglas

Mark D
  • 12-24-2009 4:59 PM In reply to

This site has always been a friendly and amusing place and this is entirely down to the members. Lee and his team of moderators, of which I am honoured to be a member, can provide the place, but it is the generous spirit and will to help of the members that marks this site out.

I wish each and everyone on this site a very Happy Christmas and look forward to our next year.

• 12-24-2009 6:34 PM In reply to

Peter :

This site has always been a friendly and amusing place and this is entirely down to the members. Lee and his team of moderators, of which I am honoured to be a member, can provide the place, but it is the generous spirit and will to help of the members that marks this site out.

I wish each and everyone on this site a very Happy Christmas and look forward to our next year.

Well said Peter!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Simon

• 12-24-2009 7:25 PM In reply to

Merry Christmas every one, only been a member for a short while, i have really enjoyed reading up on a lot of subjects on the forum, some amuzing and some very interesting. Been a pleasure to be a member and look forward to many more years.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)