in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-27-2009 7:45 AM by beojeff. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2009 2:26 PM

HDMI Expander

Hi Beoworl............
    I have a 7-55 TV where I have used all 4 HDMI connections and all 6 AV connections, the setup is:
    AV1 - Set top box (HDMI) + PUC
    AV2 - Beomaster 5 (HDMI) + SP/DIFF for sound
    AV3 - Internal DVB-HD (HDMI)
    AV4 - Internal DVD/Blueray (HDMI)
    AV5 - DVR (Video In)
    AV6 - Wii

My plan is to keep both the Settop box and DVB-HD, and I have disabled the Internal Analogue TV Tuner.
    I plan to buy a Tvix 6600 that I would like to connect with HDMI, but how does this work in real life?
    My dealer does not know how the HDMI Expander works in real life, and also, how to use the PUC connections to the devices connected via the HDMI Expander?
    Can somebody help here?

There is something about B&O.....

• 12-18-2009 3:18 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: HDMI Expander

The recommanded Gefen HDMI switch is controlled by the PUC. Connect the HDMI out of the switch to a HDMI input of your BV7. Assign this port to "Expander". As far as I know the four inputs of the switch can be controlled by different PUCs. Maybe this helps:

http://195.173.140.100/Beoworld/HDMI_Expander_Guide.pdf

Oneremote also offers Beo HDMI expander. www.oneremote.dk

Hope this helps

Stefan

• 12-19-2009 3:08 AM In reply to

Is it the same HDMI expander working with BV 10?

Marc.

• 12-19-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Yes.

Stefan

• 12-19-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

I have read the manual, but I am still in doubt. In the AVx connection in the TV I also use the PUC and SP/DIFF. So, if you add a HDMI extender, can you then still use the PUC and SP/DIFF, and if yes, to what HDMI Extender Input port would it then work on? Can you configure each port on the extender whether it uses HDMI only, PUC, SP/DIFF etc like in the TV menu?
    I have tried to put all my boxes away.

• 12-20-2009 10:53 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

beolion:

..... Can you configure each port on the extender whether it uses HDMI only, PUC, SP/DIFF etc like in the TV menu?

I`m not sure, I don`t have an HDMI expander, and the manual is not very clear on this, but it wouldn`t make much sense, if this would not be possible....

Maybe someone who got the related sw can have a look in the connections menu....

Stefan

• 12-20-2009 11:16 AM In reply to

It's actually a bit simpler than that. When using an HDMI expander, there is a place on the BS3 or tv menu for you to select that an expander is being used. If there is not an option for that in your menu, you need a software update. Once you indicate on the menu that the expander is present, you will now have additional HDMI ports to select from when setting up your external devices on the menu. For example, instead of being able to select from HDMI A, B, C, and D; you will now be able to select from HDMI A, B, C1, C2, C3, C4, and D. You still use the external device set-up on the tv menu to select the appropriate PUC device and whether or not HDMI is also being used for audio. This is all already built-into the B&O TV or BS3 setup menu. It's not done at all through the expander. The B&O TV or BS3 automatically switches to the appropriate HDMI input on the Gefen expander.

Now, here's the part that might be confusing. Regardless of how many HDMI ports you now have available, you are still stuck with only 6 AV ports on the BS3 or B&O TV. You merely have from 7 HDMI ports to choose when assigning the HDMI port to one of the 6 B&O AV ports. Again, this is all done via the B&O external device setup menu. This means that you will have at least one HDMI port that is not being used.

These extra HDMI ports could still be useful if you have need for those extra HDMI ports. You can connect those "unused" external devices to the "unused" HDMI ports and then when you DO need to use those devices, they are already connected. You would not need to physically switch the cables. You would merely need to re-assign one of the 6 B&O AV inputs to that device and appropriate HDMI input via the external device setup menu. Still rather cumbersome. However, it seems feasible that a macro could be created on the Beo5 to do all of that with the touch of one button and switch it back at the touch of another button.

• 12-20-2009 4:30 PM In reply to

Hi Beojeff

Thanx a lot for your answer, exactly what I needed to know. I can see in my TV that the internal DVB-HD does not use an AV connection, so I still have AV3 available for i.e. the Tvix player connected via the HDMI expander. Great, this might be very useful.
    And I can not figure out what else to be connected, so this might be the last connections to be made..............Big Smile

• 12-20-2009 6:18 PM In reply to

• SVB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2009
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Anyone got a link to where the Gefen HDMI expander can be purchased in the UK?

Thanks - S

BV10 - BL9 - BL6000 - BL2 - BS9000 - BL4000 - BL3500 - BL2000 - PC2 - BL4000 - B-Passive x 3 - BV1 - BS3000 - BL4

• 12-20-2009 7:17 PM In reply to

beojeff:
    there is a place on the BS3 or tv menu for you to select that an expander is being used. If there is not an option for that in your menu, you need a software update. Once you indicate on the menu that the expander is present, you will now have additional HDMI ports to select from when setting up your external devices on the menu. For example, instead of being able to select from HDMI A, B, C, and D; you will now be able to select from HDMI A, B, C1, C2, C3, C4, and D.

is this only a BS3 platform function?

so that it is available for BV7s but not BV8s?

(also not for BV10 ???)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-21-2009 5:21 AM In reply to

Could you also move the Wii to the CAMera input to free another socket?

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 12-21-2009 7:06 PM In reply to

elephant:

is this only a BS3 platform function?

so that it is available for BV7s but not BV8s?

(also not for BV10 ???)

No, this works on the BV-10 as well. The BV-10 has 2 standard HDMI ports, so by using the HDMI extender, you end with 5 HDMI ports in total. It works quite well, as long as all information is transferred via the HDMI cable which is normally the case.

• 12-21-2009 8:27 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I almost hesitate to aske, but what about on a BV8-32"?

Mark D
  • 12-25-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

Does anyone have a link to the specific product (HDMI expander) that can be used?

• 12-26-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

This is the item you're looking for:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4560

I found the best deal for mine by searching for it on Amazon. I got mine new for $199 US on Amazon.

• 12-26-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

Great, but I still have some open questions, how do you toggle between the different HDMI ports on your Gefen? My Gefen will be placed 10 meters away and connected to my 7-55.
    And if you use the PUC controller in the TV, how can you then control the device connected to the Gefen when the PUC is 'taken'?

• 12-27-2009 7:45 AM In reply to

On the BeoSystem 3, there is a mini-rca stereo jack labeled "IR 1+2." Using a Y-splitter (B&O part #7229212), the IR control from this port is split into 2 IR control ports: one corresponding to the "left channel" connection of the stereo port and the other corresponding to the "right channel" connection of the stereo port. You connect an IR flasher to the gold-colored port of the Y-splitter. Placing the IR flasher in front of the Gefen expander's IR eye, the BS3 will automatically change the HDMI port to the corresponding C1, C2, C3, or C4 port assigned to an AV device. If you find that you need to use the gold-colored port of the Y-splitter to also control a TV screen, then you would use a different type of Y-splitter to also connect to the gold port. This type of Y-splitter would then just be the common type easily found at an electronics store to be able to connect 2 headphones to an iPod. The Y-splitter from B&O as part#7229212, however, is very different in that it allows you to separate the "left" and "right" channel connections of the jack to have 2 totally separate IR controls. I know - very confusing.

As I am only familiar with the BS3, the BV7 connections could be quite different. It might be the case with the BV7 that the Y-spitter is not needed. I wanted to supply you with the above information just in case.

Also, on the bottom of the Gefen box, there are pins to change the Remote Channel. The pins might be covered by a sticker, which was the case with mine. You must assign the Remote Channel to "Channel 1." You do this by making sure that the farthest 2 pins on the right are pushed in the down position.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)