in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2009 5:30 PM by ouverture. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2009 4:10 AM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

The BeoWorld Interview with Lars Flyholm..

Well, here we have it - the BeoWorld Interview with Bang & Olufsen CEO Lars Flyvholm Yes -  thumbs up

One and a half hours of talking condensed into one thread - that was hard work!  Lars was a great interviewee and his passion and belief for the brand is as strong as ever.  Here we go..

ooOOoo

BW - You’re settled into your job now and seen some changes in the company already.  How, personally, do you feel things have changed since you took up your position based here in the UK?

LF - The biggest thing I’ve seen is the fact we (at Head Office) are much closer to the distribution (our dealers) than we ever were, with a much more open and honest dialogue between us.  We’ve built a much closer relationship with our dealers, and whenever a problem arises they feel they can approach us quickly and directly.  This is a major step forward for both ourselves and the dealer network. 

Another change that’s happened is Struer are now getting more of a ‘sense of urgency’ when a problem arises.  Kalle (Hvidt Nielsen, CEO) has brought in a much closer link between departments throughout the whole organisation.

BW - I do remember many dealers referring to Struer as ‘The Ivory Tower’ in the past..

LF - Yes, we do now realise that our distribution needed more support and dialogue, and we need three essential elements – amazing products, customers and distribution. If one of those three is missing, you don’t have a business.  We need the strongest possible distribution network to enable this, and we need to be very close to them.

I also try to personally answer as many compliments and complaints from customers as possible and meet as many customers at events as possible.  It is important for me to get this direct feedback and vibe from our end-customers, and it gives a great impression that there are real people behind the brand which I think is really important for customers these days.

BW - In the UK and Benelux, how do you feel that you have made a difference yourself?

LF - Apart from the above, we‘ve unfortunately had to do a lot of internal re-structuring but these hard times have created a really good team spirit that’s being transferred to our dealers. This open and honest relationship, although still developing, is something we need to keep working on. 

BW - Are there any areas you feel you still haven’t made a difference?

LF - Well, especially in Struer, we see problems that are not only UK and Benelux specific, but worldwide.  We must then address these issues in order of priority, which can sometimes seem like we are ignoring an area, country or even an issue. We are not ignoring anything at all, but we need to work on addressing problems as quickly as possible with an immediate reaction, even if it’s not an immediate solution, from Denmark.

BW - Do you see any imminent issues that need addressing that are approaching or are happening now?

LF - We’re observing a real momentum at the moment, and we need to really get the psychology right. When a salesperson goes from simply being ‘happy that someone is entering the store at all’ to seeing customers coming into their store to view great new products, they can really being positive about the brand and make some real sales again.

We’ve been really happy with the new products we’ve launched, and we need to keep this momentum going by realising people are willing to spend on great products and it is actually OK to be pushing for sales. After all, we’re a company in the business of making money like all companies and selling as much as possible - as well as making our customers happy.

BW - The dealer network, especially in the UK, has really shrunk lately - will this planed increase in sales mean more new stores in the near future?

LF - Admittedly, the dealer network has shrunk (much more in the UK than Benelux) – but only two weeks ago we opened a brand new store in the Netherlands and there is certainly more of this planned in that region. In the UK we don’t anticipate any new stores opening in the next 6-12 months..  We are currently focused on making sure the distribution we have already get through this time, keep the momentum and then come out of this in a strong position.

After this we can then look at areas where we feel we’ve lost ‘points of sale’ that are important – but the longer term strategy is having stores that are more capable of demonstrating integration and how you can involve B&O products with other systems and products throughout the home.

BW - Would that then mean a ‘multibrand’ environment would be more suitable where you could demonstrate B&O products working with other brands?  You could demonstrate Bang & Olufsen’s superiorities when placing them next to other companies offerings, surely?

LF - As you know, we do have multibrand stores – especially in Benelux.  However, my view is that the customers get the best attention and focus when they are in a dedicated dealership. By integration we mean with bespoke lighting, home automation and things like iPod integration - and for instance some people would like to hide their TVs – (although at Bang & Olufsen we really cannot understand this!!) and demonstrating how this can be done, and controlled via the B&O remote is another part of the future expectations from our customers. If you walk into a Bang & Olufsen store today it’s very difficult to demonstrate these concepts, so that’s certainly something we would like to work towards which could lead to physically bigger stores.

BW - What do you see the biggest issues facing B&O as being – is there a new idea or concept that’s about to come rolling over the hill into view that will make all the hard work and development over the last few years at B&O pointless?

LF - No, I don’t see anything like that coming imminently – but technology has moved extremely fast recently and I don’t see this changing at all. Of course, some of the reasons behind these ‘technology changes’ are not always in the interests of the customer and you must ask if these are just changes to generate more revenue for the manufacturers. This is of course a constant challenge we face and ask “is this change a real benefit to the customer or just another case where we have to educate our sales team that this is not necessary?” This will always be the case though and will probably become even more prominent during harder times.

OLED of course is one of the technologies that is happening out there as well as other things - but we are constantly monitoring these and when it comes to a point where it ‘makes sense’ – we will of course start working with that technology in our concept development..  However, more imminent is the transition from traditional CD driven media into things like the BeoSound 5.  This is where we can really add something.

BW - How do you think B&O should, or will, tackle these issues?

LF - One thing that Bang & Olufsen must do, and it is something that we have done for 84 years - look at things through the customers eyes and ask ‘does this really give something useful to me, and is it a solution to a day to day problem that I haven’t really thought about?’

We are one of (if not the only) company that takes that approach, look at technology that way, and allow ourselves to do this.  We cannot afford to go down the path of the bigger manufacturers and have to handle our development path with our unique approach at the very front of our minds. 

To me, BeoSound 5 is a perfect example. The product, in principle, addresses two main issues that are out there. We need to access our music, and this does it very well – but beyond that we wanted to make our music come alive. We listen to the same music day after day because ‘we do’ – but here is the best option to let you enjoy your music again. We created a product to solve this issue, and this is something we must keep doing.

BW - How do you see the current product line-up?  What would you remove and what would you add if it were up to you?

LF - Personally, after 18 years in the company, I think we have the best product portfolio ever! I have heard myself saying that a few times before, and I have – but I really feel that now. With the latest additions making it even more complete – the BeoVision 10 has been extremely important, as has the fact it has come at the same time as the BeoVison 7 – 55 and the ‘BeoTime’ – the latter a good example of the Bang & Olufsen values. And it’s accessible - something you stop and look at and something that introduces you to the brand at a completely different price point than you normally would have seen.

What would I add?  Well, there is no doubt that the area around BeoSound 5 and indeed music audio / hard drive has a very real transformation happening and we do not feel that ‘audio’ will disappear. The medium is changing, but that doesn’t mean we should change the way we listen to music. 

BW - Being very honest – what do you think are B&O’s weak points?

LF - Without doubt our current ‘weak point’ is building brand awareness. We’ve seen so many times people making purchases who have never seen Bang & Olufsen before. They simply stumbled across it and then became loyal and devoted customers. We need to make people aware of who we are, what we do, and how we think – and as soon as you do that people really understand what B&O is all about.

The Sunday Times mailshot you highlighted on BeoWorld was a huge success, and we’d love to do something similar in the future. People who weren’t aware of the brand were introduced to us and we saw many completely new customers, which is great!

Another thing we could look at is product placements.  We’ve had a great success selling the A8 earphones and similar items in the Apple Stores in the US, and this is constantly introducing people to the brand. 

BW - What is your favourite current B&O product, and why?

LF - his is a really difficult question!  I have a ‘favourite’ in each category, but to narrow it down to one..  Well, there is one product I don’t have at home (well, there are many I don’t!) – but one I would like to have, and that is BeoLab 5.  To me, this is the one product that does something amazing for me.  Of course, there are others in the current range of course – but if I had to choose just the one – it’s BeoLab 5.

BW - What is your favourite past B&O product, and why?

LF - I started at B&O in 1991, and to me the first ‘new product’ I really encountered would be my favourite – and this is the BeoSound 2500/Ouverture.  I admit I am mixing personal preference with the ‘business impact’ I experienced at the time – but that was the start of something completely new for Bang & Olufsen and has set the standard for many years. We still have the 3200 in the range, which is testament to just how good that concept was.

BW - Customer service –  many B&O dealers seem to be lacking in this according to BeoWorld Members and although the worst have naturally fallen by the wayside – what are the aims of the company to improve the ‘B&O experience’ and make every B&O customer purchase ‘Special’ as you would expect when buying a Premium Product ?

LF - One thing we are really focusing on is the ‘quality experience’ you get when you buy Bang & Olufsen.  We make these great products and provide a distribution network, but it’s the ‘moment of truth’ when a customer walks into a store – and this is where it’s supposed to happen. Of course, you also need after-sales service, but the whole thing starts when a customer walks into the store.  It’s really a matter of ‘people’ and something you are always going to struggle with, but if we can really focus on making sure we have the best possible Dealer Principals / Franchisees to make sure this happens, we are on the right path. We need the best possible people to make into ‘part of the family’ and this is very high on our agenda.

BW - Product wise - are B&O more focused at the moment on developing their own components and software levels than ‘buying in’ from other manufacturers to save money?

LF - Well, whatever we do – we always try and achieve the best results. However, at the moment we are looking to ‘lead from within’ and although we look to work with the very best technology partners we need to have the best people managing this from within our organisation.  If you outsource too much, sometimes you can ‘lose control’ of what you were trying to achieve.  We want the best – so we choose the best to lead our teams and develop our concepts as well as then choosing the partners we need.    Although I’m no expert in this field, I personally believe that in order to do the best job you really need the best people in your own team to lead from within your organisation.  When you have too much outsourcing, the management levels needed for this is huge and you end up spending so much time managing you lose control of the real aim.  We now have many people that are from the ‘software world’ that can do this – and this, we feel, is where we need to be.

BW - Beo5 Programming – a contentious issue..  Will you make the configuration tool freely available to the public, or do you still consider it a potential problem if people ‘have a go’ and, in laymans terms, mess it up.. ?

LF - From my own information certainly, there are no concrete plans yet – but my personal wish is that we will be able to. My own thoughts are that we will make some kind of limited access or ‘opportunities’ to more basic options such as logos, channels etc – and this was actually thought through at the initial stages of development. However, I don’t know of any firm plans yet  - as, being honest, with everything else on the agenda this is not the highest priority. We know this may be annoying for some people, but as a total business this is not the first priority – but I hope this will happen soon.

BW - People have said that the BeoSound/Master 5 software development path is reactive as opposed to proactive. Would B&O consider actually asking customers what they want in advance and then developing it?

LF - This is a fair question, but the answer is actually ‘this is what we are doing!’  When we wrote the BeoSound 5 software we had around 50-100 ‘ideas’ and development plans, but whilst some of them were priorities initially these were overtaken by more immediate demands.  We do listen to all of the feedback, but the list of issues we initially thought were important have changed so regularly we try and address the most important issues at the time first.  Sometimes we can react to things first that come from the side than those that come from the front!

BW - Again, the age old question..  You cannot deny that a great number of people own Apple as well as Bang & Olufsen and desperately want them to integrate more. What are B&O doing to address this, if anything?

LF - Well, today you can indeed have an iPhone that can control part of your system – and this is now possible through the ‘ML Gateway’ we have developed. However, we don’t have a team of ‘Apple Integrators’ sitting there waiting.   We do have people that are looking at ‘what’s out there’, and although we of course look at Apple we look at the bigger picture and look at other brands too.  However, in the past we were almost classed as being reluctant to integrate with Apple, but now the change has come and we say ‘Apple – Yes’ but also focus on other manufacturers too.  Of course, holding back on Apple was wrong – but also throwing ourselves into Apple is not the core focus.

BW - Any plans for MasterLink via Ethernet?!

LF - What we are seeing now as a ‘cable for the future’ is CAT 7.   We don’t have a ‘replacement’ for MasterLink yet – but we know that from a cabling point of view (legally) will be the solution for a proper cable network.  This is the cabling solution we are now suggesting.

BW - Are there any plans to release ‘flat panel’ speakers to compliment the beautiful new BeoVision 10?

LF - Nothing imminent I’m afraid! We have the BeoLab 6000 and 8000 that can be mounted on the wall next to BeoVision 10 beautifully.  In fact, the BeoLab 6000 when wall mounted is pretty much the same depth as the BV10 anyway!  That said though, requests for ‘flat panel’ loudspeakers are something we are hearing a lot – but I really don’t know if it will happen in the future.  We would only do it if we really felt it added something to the portfolio and also to the business.

BW - Are there any exciting new products in the pipeline you can reveal as an exclusive to BeoWorld?!  If not an exact product – what product lines or concepts are being focused on?

LF - Well, I couldn’t help laughing when I saw the word ‘BeoWorld’ and ‘Exclusive’ together! (laughs) as nothing seems to be an exclusive anyway.. it’s always on BeoWorld before we get this chance.  Obviously, I cannot really say anything specific about new products, but I can tell you that we see lots of opportunities within the Audio segment in the same line as the BeoSound 5. 

BW - You may have noticed these were slightly more direct questions than most!  BeoWorld members tend to be like that! – What are your general thoughts on BeoWorld at this moment?

LF - As always, I think it’s an amazing testament to the brand that we have! I’m constantly amazed also at the time and energy people dedicate to Bang & Olufsen and I’m really proud that we as a brand have such dedicated and passionate people.  I love to visit the site and see what comments have been made and although sometimes I admit to getting a little frustrated when I disagree with points (or occasionally when something is just incorrect), I really enjoy seeing people spending time on their passion – and many companies would be envious of this kind of dedication to their brand and products. I think BeoWorld is doing a great job!

BW - How do you see the relationship between B&O and BeoWorld at the moment, and what do you think could improve it?

LF - I think our relationship with BeoWorld is great.  We see it as a very real element of our customer base, and perhaps we could improve this with more polls and questions about products. We realise that BeoWorld members are very knowledgeable on the whole, and we can take these views into account when looking at other input from other groups! 

BW - In what way do you think BeoWorld could contribute to the future success of Bang & Olufsen, and do you think listening to ‘enthusiasts’ wishes is the way forward?

LF - Any input that is presented in a balanced way is most definitely a positive. I know for sure there are a lot of people in high positions within Bang & Olufsen that are spending time on BeoWorld.  I can tell you that I myself ‘copy in’ threads and send them to the relevant departments in Struer!  We do listen.

BW - Would B&O ever consider consulting BeoWorld for opinions on a product whilst in development, and would you see this as a good or bad idea?

LF - I would say ‘maybe’, but this would really depend on the product or products. If we did something on an ‘invite’ basis for a number of people at a time then I would say ‘why not?’  Although it wouldn’t be our only source for decision making, it would certainly be a great insight into a definite target group!

BW - Would B&O be interested in Beoworld promoting dealers on the web by helping support events and having prize draws in dealers or web camera events at dealers?

LF - Although this could be something for the future, I’m not really sure that all of the dealers would use it – and I’d like this to come from Bang & Olufsen if possible. I see lots of opportunities like this though!

BW - Back to your own job rather than B&O policy! In your own words, how would you describe the market in the UK and Benelux in a ‘snapshot’?

LF - Well, my instant feelings are like there has just been a big storm – and now everything has gone quiet, with the sun just starting to shine through the clouds!  It’s been a very difficult year, and everybody knows that -  with a lot of changes internally plus the marketplace changing as well as the product portfolio. We are now at the stage where the storm is over, and whether another one is coming nobody knows – but now the sun is coming through and we must keep the momentum!

BW - Where would you like B&O UK/Benelux to be in 3 years, and indeed the company – and what challenges face you in getting there?

LF - Obviously we are a company that needs to make money, so I’d say stronger sales and a stronger distribution. More stores? – yes, maybe, but I’d like to concentrate on the quality of our stores – but the general aim is for our customers to meet the expectations we are building.

BW - Finally, what are your own thoughts on your achievements since was last spoke?

LF - As far as my own achievements go – it’s best someone else talks about that (laughs) – but my own feeling for the company has not changed at all since I joined many years ago.  It’s great to feel you are developing every day, and although I’ve spent many years worldwide in different departments this position has given me a great understanding and also a feeling that the company is really learning from the recent decisions.

People on BeoWorld may know that I used to be part of a ‘Product Strategy Team’ I’ve been sat in meetings with the most amazing concepts being presented to us where we all said ‘Yes!’ – but then had to look at our resources, skills and competencies and realised we just couldn’t do it. The ideas were great but we just couldn’t make them.

However, with Kalle (Hvidt Nielsen) coming in with new ideas and approaches, as well as re-constructing the R&D side where we will have the correct platforms, we can now take those concepts and ideas out of the cupboard and look at them again. I do know a couple of the ideas are now back on the table and we don’t have to start from scratch – and that makes me feel really positive.  It was very frustrating for me to see these products, and whilst identifying that we really needed them weren’t able to go ahead with them.

BW - Well Lars, thank you very much for answering our questions, and we wish you continued success in your position!

ooOOoo

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-18-2009 5:18 AM In reply to

Re: The BeoWorld Interview with Lars Flyholm..

Wonderful interview and came across, as in real life, as a really nice guy. Clearly he is not going to spill the beans on new products like the Beosound 5 lite (oops) but informative and friendly showing how far management at B&O have come. I hope all at B&O have a great Christmas!

• 12-18-2009 9:15 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thanks Lee for taking the time to do the interview, and transcribe it.
    Nice to see that our (Beoworld) links with B&O continually get stronger and stronger.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-18-2009 12:28 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Very nice to know that Bang & Olufsen employees visit this forum and see the positive AND the negative comments from customers.
    I think this should help them to distinguish their very good "Made in Denmark" products from the inferior goods "Made in China" by other companies.

If the Beosound 5 was "Made in China" I would never have bought it!

Thank you for the interview!

• 12-18-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

Excellent interview.. I had the chance to talk to Lars when the BV10 was launched in Belgium and he's really a very hand-on and down to earth person! Clearly reflected in the interview.. 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 12-18-2009 4:19 PM In reply to

Great interview Lee.

Look forward to the share price recovering a bit next Monday (but maybe not as only three shareholders have admitted to being on this forum!)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-19-2009 3:49 AM In reply to

Thanks Lee for putting your time and effort in this interview. I had an excellent read this morning. I've never met Lars Flyholm, but he seems a good man for the job!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-19-2009 8:33 AM In reply to

looks like he could be just the ticket

it's not what you put out it's what you hold back that matters

ask steve jobs

bno a few years ago seemed to have their finger in every pie imaginable and sadly didn't really have anything particularly impressive in any of them

less is more etc etc

popgear is grate™

• 12-23-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

he gets a big thumbs up from me

BW - What is your favourite past B&O product, and why?

LF - I started at B&O in 1991, and to me the first ‘new product’ would be my favourite –  the BeoSound 2500/Ouverture

Nice one Lars   :-)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)