in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-14-2012 12:47 PM by beocool. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2009 2:01 AM

jacob jensen telephone 10

while waiting for the new beocom 5 , i found this :

http://www.jacobjensen.com/index2.php#/int/news/latest/jj_telephone_101/

oh no .

now i understand how tiger woods felt .

i think i will take both .

• 12-18-2009 3:22 AM In reply to

Re: jacob jensen telephone 10

godotz:

while waiting for the new beocom 5 , i found this :

http://www.jacobjensen.com/index2.php#/int/news/latest/jj_telephone_101/

oh no .

now i understand how tiger woods felt .

i think i will take both .

Have got the earlier (square shaped base with keyboard) version of this phone (as seen in the last series of the Apprentice on the reception desk.)

Have got it wall mounted. Great phone, but it's very easy for someone to think that they've hung up by putting the receiver back, but in fact to leave the phone off the hook (thus stopping all incoming calls on all phones.) Wonder if they've managed to design that problem out with this latest version?

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-18-2009 4:11 AM In reply to

What a beauty... I like this one much more how the new Beocom 5......

A typical Jacob Jensen. I wish B&O goes back to this designhouse.

• 12-18-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I think it looks really boring, but we all have different taste.

Have you seen it in the flesh?? One of the older wireless JJ phones seems to be made of the cheapest plastic. It was such a disappointment, the way it felt, and the plastic looked really cheap compared to the pictures. I don't know if this model though.

• 12-18-2009 1:11 PM In reply to

I agree. I like the super sleek Jensen designs and had desperately wanted a weather station many years back when it first came out and was difficult to find in the US. Then I held one in my hand and it was the most disappointing thing ever. Without B&O's manufacturing behind him his projects look better in photographs. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-18-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

IMHO, that seems outdated for me...

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 12-18-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

I agree with you Trip.  We have the alarm clocks that could be incorporated with the weather station lineup,  I ordered two and was very disappointed in the quality when received. Very cheap materials...... ALL plastic and fell apart quickly.  I would not even consider buying one of these phones.  

• 12-18-2009 2:00 PM In reply to

It's a real shame. It seems that lots of people eagerly anticipated his new designs and were disappointed with the quality of the actual product. I can't help but to think that a similar weather station (maybe with a volume module!) would have made sense as a B&O piece. Then it would have had the fit and finish you'd expect.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-18-2009 2:38 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

I can't help but to think that a similar weather station (maybe with a volume module!) would have made sense as a B&O piece. Then it would have had the fit and finish you'd expect.

Or maybe with two-way remote control with a status display module to fit the rest! Oh, but... nevermind Wink

-mika

• 12-18-2009 2:46 PM In reply to

I have a lot of the Jensen products , including watches, weather station, kitchen scale, smoke detector, and wall clock.

I agree the build quality is disappointing, especially for the weather station & the phones, made of 100% cheap plastics that wear after a year.

However, the smoke detector and the metal accessories (scale, watch) have a much better feel. The watches are made by Max Rene in Switzerland.

Nevertheless, apart from the "plastic issue", the Jensen phones are far more convenient for professional use: I brought my BeoCom 4 at the office, had to take it back home after 3 weeks: no one could use it, except me, people kept dropping it when trying to put it back on its base, no one knew where to press to answer a call and..there was no speaker for conference calls!

I brought the T80 at work one month after it was released, and since then it's been on my desk, everyone is happy with it, all the staff can use it, it has the same menu layout as all mobile phones, modern ring tones (the B&O ones made people laugh, to say the least, some of them wondering how such an expensive thing could ring like a phone taken from Miami Vice or Charlie's angels..), you can see the keypad in the dark (because at least on the Jensen phone, the keys are backlit), the batteries can easily be replaced, you can choose different ringtones for different people in the phonebook etc...

The end of the story is: I brought back the BeoCom 4 at home, where it serves best, bought an Earset 1 this year, and couldn't live without them..Stick out tongue

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-18-2009 3:40 PM In reply to

Yet to see the smoke detector in person, but it's good to hear that it's a different story than the other products.

The watches, I agree, are very nice and I didn't consider them in the same category as the telephones and small electronics. 

I may need to track down one of those smoke detectors now!

• 12-18-2009 4:03 PM In reply to

To add to my previous phone comments above, I have to admit that one of the problems with the Jensen handset is that it is very light (mostly plastic) and that may be part of the problem when hanging it up/ failing to hang it up. You might think that a lightweight handset would be good for something you've got to hold to your ear, but in an odd way it isn't: it's the old problem that quality is associated with weight........ bit like Beo4 versus plastic remotes.  Maglite torch or Beotime without batteries..... no feeling of substance, but once those batteries are in........ what a high quality item it feels (and is!)

(With the JJ phone all the extra weight is in the angled table-top supports.)

(Might try dismantling that handset and slipping some lead inside!)

Graham

• 12-18-2009 5:56 PM In reply to

• bossbrad
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-02-2009
    • Colorado, USA
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

The 90's called... they want their phone back.

• 12-19-2009 3:50 AM In reply to

bossbrad:

The 90's called... they want their phone back.

LaughingLaughingLaughing I just imagined Homer Simpson saying those words! Yes -  thumbs up

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-19-2009 5:50 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

I agree about the build quality

I'm not that keen of the design either, it looks like it's from 1989

I love what Jacob Jensen (the man) did for B&O, but I find today's Jacob Jensen Design (the company) a very uninspired design company. It's like their current designers (remember that it's not JJ who designs their current products) try to follow his old design ideas from the 80s.

• 12-19-2009 10:19 AM In reply to

When B&O continues a design for 20 years you call it timeless, when JJ continues his typical design it is so 90'sSad

JJ's design are imo beautiful and he made the most beautiful B&O's.

He gave the complete B&O-range a familydesign.

Now you can't tell wat is the look of B&O. Is it round (Beolab 3)? Or square (Beosound 9000)?

A JJ design stays a JJ design. That JJ not self make the designs is not a problem. JJ did also not self designed the Beocenter 9000. Nobody seems to have a problem with that....

• 12-19-2009 11:57 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

pentalex:
    A JJ design stays a JJ design.

In a way you can say that his design is easy recognizable, on the other hand you can say that he does not have the power/skill to renew himself and is therefore caught in one design type.

When B&O continues a design for 20 years, it's for a particular model, not for all the models.

I love B&Os product line up, because the products does not look like each other, but the different speakers and AV systems can still be mixed without it looking odd.

• 12-19-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

I agree with Pentalex.

I find myself strongly drawn toward forms that have a strong pedigree and that's something JJ did so well that many of DL's best designs draw directly from his lines. 

Think of cars like the BMW 3 series, the Porsche 911 and other that advanced in centimeters of the course of decades toward perfection versus VWs or GMs that pop out an entirely new form factor every few years and push name plates that vanish and reappear almost at random.

I like that a designer sees his charge as the improvement of a form or function and does not take each task as a challenge to re-invent the wheel. I'm not against new form factors, but of all the TVs, loudspeakers, audio systems, etc. the original form factors sprung from the challenges of the shape of the technologies housed within.  

• 02-14-2012 8:21 AM In reply to

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with some later experiences.

I have a Jacob Jensen wall/ desk phone together with a pair of JJ dect phones (with a 1200 Beotalk).

Quite often answering a dect phone, even if close to the base station, fails to stop the other phones ringing and the Beotalk will cut-in. This is an intermittent fault and can usually be resolved by hitting the green button on the dect handset rather than waiting for an auto connection on picking up the phone.

Today, most annoyingly, the display on one of the dect phones has gone completely blank, although you can still phone out by direct dialling rather than displaying the full number in advance. The phone has lasted all of 18 months. Sad

Graham

• 02-14-2012 12:47 PM In reply to

vikinger:
    The phone has lasted all of 18 months.

A quality item, then... Pretty sure the production was outsourced... Stick out tongue Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)