in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-14-2011 11:21 AM by AJStokoe. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-15-2009 6:50 AM

Broken CD player on Beocenter 9500

I have a lovely Beocenter 9500 and recently, whilst playing a CD it cut out, the motor could be heard to be spinning ever faster then it stopped and the sliding door opened.  I took it to my local B&) Centre (Exeter) and they have quoted £850 to repair it.  This involves a new CD player, circuit board and belt drive.  I am shocked.  It seems the original CD player is not available so they are replacing everything with an more recent unit.  Can anybody offer advice - alternative supplier, cheaper repair, second hand units etc??  Thanks, Tony

• 12-15-2009 7:34 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Broken CD player on Beocenter 9500

Hi Tony & welcome to BeoworldSmile

I'm not in the slightest surprised at the quote your local B&O store gave you. Most dealer service centres simply change whole sections/modules as they really don't have the expertise to work at component level. It is difficult to give an exact diagnosis without having it on the bench but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a simple capacitor failure or similar which would cost pennies to buy.

Our resident Beoworld guru with these machines is esteemed member "joeyboygolf" who I am sure will be able to offer much better advice than I could. There are several very good repair shops "darn sarth" who would be able to sort this out at a much better price than what you have been quoted if it is indeed a simple component failure (which I strongly suspect).

Sounds silly but have you tried cleaning the lens on the laser (always start with the simple things first)? A little alcohol such as Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud is the thing to use - NOT methylated spirit though as it is far too aggressive.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-15-2009 7:57 AM In reply to

Hi Chris and thanks for the warm welcome, 

I've encouraged that you think the problem not serious, I'd keen to get the unit repaired so will wait for a reponse from 'joeyboygolf' and seek him drop him a message if nothing happens.  It would be fantastic if it was something as simple as dirt on the lens and I'll take your advise on that too.

Best, Tony

• 12-15-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

Hello Tony.

Kind words indeed from Chris, now I've got to live up to them!

Chris is quite correct in his analysis of the fault and of most B&O service centres - the price they quoted was diabolical and probably designed to drive you away.

You could try cleaning the laser lens which, in many cases, is enough to cure the problem, at least temporarily.

Long term, the problem is almost certainly aged electrolytic capacitors on the CD Servo Board. Replacement of said capacitors usually brings the CD system back to as new specs and to that end I believe that member Dillen has produced a capacitor kit to cure the problem.

Armed with the kit, any suitably qualified electronics technician should be able to restore your pride and joy.

I am not privy to the price of the kit but I would be surprised if it were much more than £20 inc. delivery. Add 2 or 3 hours of fitting time especially if the tech is not familiar with the job.

Regards Graham

• 12-15-2009 9:12 AM In reply to

To help such a technician, the full 9500 service manual has been scanned and is on site. You need to be a silver or gold member to access it.

• 12-15-2009 10:27 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

Hello Tony.

Kind words indeed from Chris, now I've got to live up to them!

Chris is quite correct in his analysis of the fault and of most B&O service centres - the price they quoted was diabolical and probably designed to drive you away.

You could try cleaning the laser lens which, in many cases, is enough to cure the problem, at least temporarily.

Long term, the problem is almost certainly aged electrolytic capacitors on the CD Servo Board. Replacement of said capacitors usually brings the CD system back to as new specs and to that end I believe that member Dillen has produced a capacitor kit to cure the problem.

Armed with the kit, any suitably qualified electronics technician should be able to restore your pride and joy.

I am not privy to the price of the kit but I would be surprised if it were much more than £20 inc. delivery. Add 2 or 3 hours of fitting time especially if the tech is not familiar with the job.

I can't compare B&O's response to what may have been similar 'service' from the other brands, but isn't it an awful indictment on the quality of customer service from B&Oand/or dealers? They are a premium quality brand charging premium prices and as such surely the service one should expect is that of the highest quality possible.

A little off subject I know but in the early 70s when I was really in to 'Hi-Fi' I had a belt driven turntable and an SME/Shure arm and cartridge combination. Anyway the belt snapped so I wrote to the UK manufacturers enquiring about a replacement. They wrote back asking for a few old pence plus postage and they would send me out a new belt. The stamp on their letter almost covered the cost of the belt!

At the same I had a large and quite expensive Sony reel-to-reel tape deck which had a plastic dust cover. By accident I stood on the cover whilst it was off the tape deck and broke the corner so I wrote to Sony enquiring if a replacement was available. Shortly after I received a new cover 'with compliments' from Sony at no charge.

Things like this you never forget.

• 12-15-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

kokomo:

At the same I had a large and quite expensive Sony reel-to-reel tape deck which had a plastic dust cover. By accident I stood on the cover whilst it was off the tape deck and broke the corner so I wrote to Sony enquiring if a replacement was available. Shortly after I received a new cover 'with compliments' from Sony at no charge.

It's easy for them since they can get it back from their professional products line...

Sony special screw

-mika

• 12-15-2009 11:01 AM In reply to

• Orava
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-25-2009
    • Finland
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

I just repaired, Beocenter 9000 CD. Changing caps did not help, so I found used CDM4/19 transport, and put it's laser unit to 9000's CDM2/10. And it works beautifully.

Of course must check adjustments to make it perfect.

ps. these transports are found for ex. older Philips players.

• 12-15-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

tournedos:

LaughingLaughing Love it!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-15-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

tournedos:

Priceless!! And it's plus VAT!

Regards Graham

• 12-15-2009 11:13 AM In reply to

Orava:

I just repaired, Beocenter 9000 CD. Changing caps did not help, so I found used CDM4/19 transport, and put it's laser unit to 9000's CDM2/10. And it works beautifully.

I'm on a steep learning curve here, I'll need to get my 9500 back from the B&O workshop (which won't happen till after Christmas now as I'm about to go away for a few weeks), and have a good look at it, you guys have given me several options now - clean the head - replace the capacitors - replace the CD transport.  I'll start with the easy option!

• 12-15-2009 11:21 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

Jandyt:

tournedos:

Priceless!! And it's plus VAT!

Yes. And it is not a fake, but a genuine printout from the online spare parts ordering system, pricing for installations that are not an accredited Sony service. I have no first hand part with this event, but apparently Sony in Finland didn't quite like it being published, hence the censored fields...

-mika

• 12-15-2009 1:20 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

AJStokoe:

Orava:

I'm on a steep learning curve here, I'll need to get my 9500 back from the B&O workshop (which won't happen till after Christmas now as I'm about to go away for a few weeks), and have a good look at it, you guys have given me several options now - clean the head - replace the capacitors - replace the CD transport.  I'll start with the easy option!

Be aware though that the BC9000 uses a completely different CD unit to your 9500 so don't go looking to use the same unit as mentioned by Orava. I'm still pretty sure that it is a capacitor problem though as the CD unit in the 9500 is pretty robust.

Chris.

PS Mika - love that screw.....Laughing

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-16-2009 4:23 AM In reply to

• Orava
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-25-2009
    • Finland
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Hi Cris

Just curious, what mechanism is used in 9500?

• 12-16-2009 5:00 AM In reply to

I have heard that CDM2 and CDM4 laser units were interchangeable but I have never had the need to do it as of the 30 or so units that have needed CD repair from me, it has always been the C2103 capacitor that has been the culprit.

I believe that several European members as well as Auric in the US have reported success with swopping laser units from Philips branded CD players or indeed have purchased new laser units from Philips spares suppliers.

I think that the point that Chris was making is that it is not possible to lift the complete CD mechanism from a BC9500 and plant it in a BC9000 and certainly not cost effective even if it were possible.

Regards Graham

• 12-16-2009 6:16 AM In reply to

• Orava
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-25-2009
    • Finland
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Yes, not planning Anything like that, just curious...

I have cd5500 wiht same fault as AJStokoes BC9500. I have changed cap to this also, didn't help. Unit has been lying on the self now for some time, because I don't have working scope. This uses also same radialswing laser unit.

• 12-16-2009 7:30 AM In reply to

Orava:

Yes, not planning Anything like that, just curious...

I have cd5500 wiht same fault as AJStokoes BC9500. I have changed cap to this also, didn't help. Unit has been lying on the self now for some time, because I don't have working scope. This uses also same radialswing laser unit.

You must be exceedingly unlucky to have 2 CD units with blown lasers! I have always found that it is the capacitor has been at fault.

Are you familiar with the school of thought that says that only the original make and type of 33 microfarad capacitor will work 100% in this application.

There are numerous post on this subject in the Workbench area of the forum.

Regards Graham

• 12-16-2009 8:06 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

You must be exceedingly unlucky to have 2 CD units with blown lasers! I have always found that it is the capacitor has been at fault.

I had a blown laser in my BC8000 as well. The trouble in that case was that somebody had been there already before me, replacing some other caps (and forgetting to solder a couple of them!!!) and doing god knows what...

-mika

• 12-16-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

• Orava
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-25-2009
    • Finland
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

Are you familiar with the school of thought that says that only the original make and type of 33 microfarad capacitor will work 100% in this application.

There are numerous post on this subject in the Workbench area of the forum.

Yees, but, cause I haven't found those blue1's, I tried several different types, no go. I don't belive it's laser issue here, something else.

• 12-16-2009 4:03 PM In reply to

Sorry to come in as "tail end Charlie"on this topic,but if the disc motor can be heard running fast before rejecting play,it may be a power supply problem rather than servo.An easy fix if you can do "fiddly" soldering ?

Always a good investment to replace the caps on the servo board,particularly if they are the little blue jobs.The black type seem to last quite well.

There were two types of cd transport used on the '9500.The earlier one used a "bombproof" induction type motor,and the later one was direct dc drive.The later mech seems to have been more troublesome.The various mech's and servo boards are not interchangeable.

Just my "two pennuth".

Regards,

Nick

• 12-17-2009 4:08 AM In reply to

solderon29:

Sorry to come in as "tail end Charlie"on this topic,but if the disc motor can be heard running fast before rejecting play,it may be a power supply problem rather than servo.An easy fix if you can do "fiddly" soldering ?

Always a good investment to replace the caps on the servo board,particularly if they are the little blue jobs.The black type seem to last quite well.

There were two types of cd transport used on the '9500.The earlier one used a "bombproof" induction type motor,and the later one was direct dc drive.The later mech seems to have been more troublesome.The various mech's and servo boards are not interchangeable.

Just my "two pennuth".

Regards,

Nick

This is a new possibility!  I'll add it to my list of things to investigate.  I'm not at all technical and wouldn't attempt to fix the unit myself, so I'll need to find a repairer (NOT the B&O centre) to look into the caps, power supply etc.  At least I now know that the unit can be repaired without replacing the whole innards.  As I mentioned previously, I'm now away until mid January, and won't be getting the Beocenter back from Exeter until then. If anybody can recommend a repairer, in the South West or London areas, I'd be grateful

Tony

• 04-14-2011 9:25 AM In reply to

• Rex
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Hello, can you please give me some advice.  I have an 9500 which I cannot part with.  The CD failed recently.  When you try to play a disc, unit makes a clicking sound and the door opens.  When the laser failed there was a very strong electrical smell.  I took it to B&O repairs and they said the circuit boards had already been re-done, and it was the spindle motor that has failed.  They tested it with a battery. Do you have any idea where to source one of these?  I have a CDX CD player.  Is it the same spindle motor in this unit as the 9500?  (I was thinking of taking it out and using it for parts).  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  There are no other service centers in Melbourne to get a second opinion!!  The guy at the shop has repaired many of these units with CD failure (I was told).  It would be a shame to not be able to get it up and running, as out of allmy B & O kit, including the new stuff, it is still my favourite piece of toy!!  Thanks so much.  Regards Rex.

• 04-14-2011 11:21 AM In reply to

Hi Rex, I got my 9500 CD player fixed by Tim Jarman at Beocentral.  He didn't need to replace the CD drive, though they are available and I got one quite easily for £90.  Best to contact him at Beocentral for advice - http://beocentral.com/

Good luck, Tony

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)