in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-05-2010 6:31 PM by Razlaw. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2009 7:18 PM

Beo 5 or not? with Sony BDP-S550 and Dish

I am thinking of buying a Beo 5. The main reason I want one is to hopefully have better control of a Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray and Dish DVR than with the Beo 4. Anybody have any experience with these products with a Beo 5?  Is it worth getting a Beo 5? 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 12-08-2009 9:09 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beo 5 or not? with Sony BDP-S550 and Dish

Razlaw,

I don't have an answer to your question, and I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have similar questions about the Beo 5 - namely can it's programability get around some issues like the extra button pushing required when operating the Blu-ray player on the BV-7 with the Beo 4 or execute multiple commands (with third party devices like the ones you mention) so that the user only has to press one button to do something like turn on the TV and start the Netflix player?

Mark D

Mark D
  • 12-09-2009 2:33 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

I use the BDP-S550, and it is easier to navigate with the Beo5 since you have all the commands visible on the Beo5's display. But unless you see a need for the Beo5 in general, I wouldn't get the Beo5 just for the BDP-operation... You simply hit MENU on the Beo4 and have all the commands on-screen.

Roger

• 12-09-2009 11:39 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

First the good:  I really like my Beo5.  I use it to control a Toshiba TV, a Motorola cable box/DVR and, of course, my B&O audio.  I have a single button programmed to turn everything on, and have full control of all the devices.  Controlling my Sony DVD is a future project.

Now the bad:  I didi all the programming myself.  This required some investigative work and some knowledge of XML.  My dealer said we don't support this so you are on your own.  The devil is really in the details - according to Keith Saunders, it can control pretty much any IR device as long as you have the codes.  There is a method to convert Phillips Pronto codes to Beo5 codes, but getting these Pronto codes can be difficult, and not all the codes you find on various internet sites are correct.

But there is hope:  Keith can get codes (he gave me the Toshiba TV codes - thank you Keith Smile), and if you're completey stuck, he can do the programming for you (for a very reasonable fee, imho).

Self programmed, I think the Beo5 is actually a good value.  Compare the price of a Beo5 to some of the upscale universal remotes (Phillips Pronto, etc.), and it's NOT that expensive... and you get a nice design and better materials (imho).

One unknown in my book:  A fairly recent release of the configuration software/firmware broke the ability to create macros that include 3rd party products (i.e. people who upgraded found that their "turn everything on" button no longer worked - or actually cause the Beo5 to hang).  I'm not sure if they have fixed this or if a workaround has been found.  I asked this question on the Beo5 forum a couple days ago, but nobody has responded yet.

Stan

• 12-09-2009 11:58 AM In reply to

Razlaw,

I think it's almost a necessity for a video system these days. Having all the options laid out on the screen is not only easier for you, but much easier for everyone else as they don't need to know what the green button does or whether to hit menu and then a number. 

Additionally it can display your favorite channels as icons which, with hundreds of channels to scroll through, it more useful than the guide. It can also store favorite radio stations on your BeoSound by name.

And with a B&O system like yours, there's much less (if any at all) custom programming to be done. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-09-2009 1:12 PM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

I love mine.

I have only one remote control on my table. I use it to control all my B&O sources, a Tvix 6500, a Clarke Tech Sat Receiver, lights, blinds and curtains, my air conditioner and my Roomba 560 Smile

Can't live without it Stick out tongue

Quim

• 12-09-2009 2:41 PM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Razlaw,

I stayed with the Beo4 for controlling all my equipment (connected to a BV9). But I can understand your frustration. I have a BDP-S350, which has the same remote as your BDP-S550. I did some serious reassignment of buttons and now I am quite happy with the way I can control my blu-ray. I added functions that weren't available thru the puc definition supplied by B&O and reassigned some functions to other keys on the Beo4.

My dealer gave me the puc definition files of the Servce tool and I supplied him with a modified definition file when he did a software update to the BV9. I did some work for the puc definitions of all stbs (Sony BDP-S350, Technisat Digicorder HDS2, Pace Sky Box) to ensure that a key has the same function on every stb (if possible).

If you want, I can give you more details and send you the puc definition file.

Martin

• 12-09-2009 4:27 PM In reply to

Roger:

I use the BDP-S550, and it is easier to navigate with the Beo5 since you have all the commands visible on the Beo5's display. But unless you see a need for the Beo5 in general, I wouldn't get the Beo5 just for the BDP-operation... You simply hit MENU on the Beo4 and have all the commands on-screen.

Roger

Are you able to turn the BDP on and off?  Does it turn on and off at source change?

• 12-09-2009 4:28 PM In reply to

msinn:

Razlaw,

I stayed with the Beo4 for controlling all my equipment (connected to a BV9). But I can understand your frustration. I have a BDP-S350, which has the same remote as your BDP-S550. I did some serious reassignment of buttons and now I am quite happy with the way I can control my blu-ray. I added functions that weren't available thru the puc definition supplied by B&O and reassigned some functions to other keys on the Beo4.

My dealer gave me the puc definition files of the Servce tool and I supplied him with a modified definition file when he did a software update to the BV9. I did some work for the puc definitions of all stbs (Sony BDP-S350, Technisat Digicorder HDS2, Pace Sky Box) to ensure that a key has the same function on every stb (if possible).

If you want, I can give you more details and send you the puc definition file.

Martin

Yes....please.....could you give me more details?  Sounds pretty technical and complicated what you did? Am I understanding you correctly that what you did would require the dealer to install the modified PUC into the BV7?

• 12-09-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

Sorry for another question.....Does the Beo 5 control the Blu-Ray and Dish DVR directly or through the ir?  If controlled through the ir does that mean the only devices and functions that can be controlled by the Beo 5 are those that are in the PUC table?  In other words if I wish to add a new device that is not in the PUC I would need new software on the BV7 AND the Beo 5 reprogrammed?  

Our dealer is 3 hours away so new software on the BV7 is not an easy thing to do. Shipping a Beo 5 or taking it in when we travel to the dealer is easy.

• 12-09-2009 6:38 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw,

You probably saw this mentioned last week, but one of the iPhone / iPod Touch remote control applications has just come out of "beta" and it will have the ability to program "macros" in a supposedly simple way that will integrate B&O devices with third party devices.  Of course, it won't have B&O IR codes for another few weeks according to the company that has designed this hardware and software owing to the B&O IR codes being different than most other devices.

I think, though, that this could be the answer for those of us who are trying to do what you're suggesting with the Beo 5.  Here's the company's website (it has some YouTube videos that are worth watching as they show their stuff in action):

http://thinkflood.com/

Personally, I'll purchase a Beo 5 or this other combined software/hardware/iPod Touch depending on which shows itself the most flexible at turning on the BV7 with other devices (like an Apple TV, Netflix player, etc.).

Mark

Mark D
  • 12-09-2009 6:41 PM In reply to

Thanks. I have considered the Thinkflood product. Looks very interesting.

• 12-09-2009 8:13 PM In reply to

Having used a Beo 4 for nearly 10 years, I've grown acustomed to some of it's quirks controlling 3rd party products. I too have a Dish DVR and also a Sony BDP-S350. Pressing GO then up arrow for chapter up is no big deal, but I'm used to it. My wife, however has never been able to use the Beo 4. Evertime she wants to use the DVR or watch a Blu-Ray I would have to "help".

All that changed when I got the Beo 5. DVR functions are especially easy using the Beo 5. I find it easier but most importantly my wife LOVES IT!  And to answer another part of you question Razlaw it does control through the IR of the system 3/BV 7 and also will control power on/off

• 12-22-2009 9:29 PM In reply to

My wife was going to buy me a Beo 5 today as an early Christmas present. However due to uncertainty from the dealer about what it could and could not be programmed to do, I told her no.  

• 12-22-2009 11:48 PM In reply to

What's the uncertainty?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-23-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

I am unclear as to whether certain functions would work better with a Beo 5 than with a Beo 4 and also am unclear as to whether functions not present on the Beo 4 can be added to the Beo 5.

Here are my questions.

1. To fast forward or rewind our DVR I press GO and ARROW Left or Right. If I do not press these at exactly the correct speed, it does not work. Also, sometimes pressing GO twice to stop a fast forward or rewind does not work.

2. Can additional buttons/functions be added such as our DVR has a button to skip forward in 30 second increments and a button to change the format of the picture.

3. Also, our Blu-Ray will only turn on with the Beo 4 when turning the entire system on from stand-by. I would like it to turn on at a source change as well. It is also not possible to turn the Blu-Ray player off with the Beo 4.

4. I also read in here somewhere it might be possible to add a button on the Beo 4 to open the Blu-Ray player on the BV7?

Thanks!

• 01-04-2010 11:20 PM In reply to

On our BV7 we are using an older Sony model number to control the Blu-Ray. Is the BDP-S550 now available to be added to the PUC?

Thanks!

• 01-05-2010 4:07 AM In reply to

When considering any product to purchase, you will determine if it fits your requirements and also if you actually like it. If you like the product or not has to be a purely personal judgement. When it comes to meeting your requirements, different people place different priorities on those requirements. For members who have grown up with the Beo4 and use it every day tend to say, I do not really see the benefit of changing to the Beo5, yet those who do purchase a Beo5 and have been using a Beo4 previously often (normally) find that their partners love it and cannot understand why someone would want a Beo4.

So, whilst everyone offers their views on Beo4 vs Beo5 based on their own experience, whats normally more difficult for a purchaser to determine, "Is is right for me ?" from a technical viewpoint in particular

In this thread quite a few questions were raised which I have listed below:-

1. Can it's programability get around some issues like the extra button pushing required when operating the Blu-ray player on the BV-7 with the Beo 4 or execute multiple commands (with third party devices like the ones you mention) so that the user only has to press one button
    2. One unknown in my book:  A fairly recent release of the configuration software/firmware broke the ability to create macros that include 3rd party products (i.e. people who upgraded found that their "turn everything on" button no longer worked - or actually cause the Beo5 to hang).  I'm not sure if they have fixed this or if a workaround has been found.
    3. Does the Beo 5 control the Blu-Ray and Dish DVR directly or through the ir?  If controlled through the ir does that mean the only devices and functions that can be controlled by the Beo 5 are those that are in the PUC table?  In other words if I wish to add a new device that is not in the PUC I would need new software on the BV7 AND the Beo 5 reprogrammed?
    4. To fast forward or rewind our DVR I press GO and ARROW Left or Right. If I do not press these at exactly the correct speed, it does not work. Also, sometimes pressing GO twice to stop a fast forward or rewind does not work.
    5. Can additional buttons/functions be added such as our DVR has a button to skip forward in 30 second increments and a button to change the format of the picture.
    6. Also, our Blu-Ray will only turn on with the Beo 4 when turning the entire system on from stand-by. I would like it to turn on at a source change as well. It is also not possible to turn the Blu-Ray player off with the Beo 4.
    7. I also read in here somewhere it might be possible to add a button on the Beo 4 to open the Blu-Ray player on the BV7?

Below are my answers in the same order they are listed above:-

1. The simple answer is "YES" it can. The Configuration Tool provides the ability to "Macro" or link commands together. You can also add a mix of  B&O or 3rd party commands within the same screen. For example, you are controlling a STB directly (not using the PUC) and you wish to adjust the volume of the Beovision, then no problem. Equally if you have a non B&O TV and STB you can do the same.
    2. You comment is true, B&O really shot themselves in the foot with that mistake, but there were/are workarounds which still allowed macros to work. The problem was in the Configuration Tool software and not the Beo5 firmware.
    3. I did not totally understand this question. When a 3rd party product is added to the PUC library, a corresponding XML file is created for the Beo5 which sends commands to control the PUC and therefore that 3rd party product. If a 3rd party product is not available in the PUC library or you wish to control it DIRECTLY i.e. not using the PUC then an XML file will be needed for that 3rd party product. This DIRECT XML file contains the IR which is transmitted directly from the Beo5 to the 3rd party product. PROVIDED you have the 3rd party Infrared codes, then an XML file can be produced for 99% of 3rd party products on teh market.
    4. Yes, I often have that problem as well. For most third party products which are DIRECTLY controlled by the Beo5, they do NOT have this problem. There are limitations when using the Philips RC5, RC6 or RCMM protocols which are self clocking binary strings which can cause STB's to hang or not function after a second press of the same remote button. This is because these protocols use a toggle bit (bit 3) for every button press which on the Beo5 works for RC5 reasonable well, but the other two protocols need a workaround solution. The NEC and Sony protocol protocols which many 3rd party products use do not have any issues of this nature.
    5. The short answer is "YES"
    6. This can be done with the Beo5 if you do not use the PUC, but provide direct control from the Beo5
    7. The only things you can add to the Beo4 are sources/commands in the LIST function.

Regards Keith....

• 01-05-2010 8:25 AM In reply to

Thank you Keith for the excellent answers. Reading your answers I realized one of my questions had a typo. I meant to ask if a button can be added to the Beo 5 to open the BV7 DVD. I mistakenly typed Beo 4 in my question.

• 01-05-2010 6:03 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Keith,

I feel guity for asking (seeing your long, informative post above), but could you point me to information about the workarounds you mentioned in 2. above:

"You comment is true, B&O really shot themselves in the foot with that mistake, but there were/are workarounds which still allowed macros to work. The problem was in the Configuration Tool software and not the Beo5 firmware."

I'm in the planning stages of some additional Beo5 programming and would like to upgrade to the new firmware and config software, but I *must* have macros with 3rd party commands.

Thanks in advance,

Stan

• 01-05-2010 6:31 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

1. Below are my answers in the same order they are listed above:-
    1. The simple answer is "YES" it can. The Configuration Tool provides the ability to "Macro" or link commands together. You can also add a mix of  B&O or 3rd party commands within the same screen. For example, you are controlling a STB directly (not using the PUC) and you wish to adjust the volume of the Beovision, then no problem. Equally if you have a non B&O TV and STB you can do the same.

Is there any dealer in the US who knows how to do this?  "You can also add a mix of  B&O or 3rd party commands within the same screen" 

I want to buy a Beo 5 but need a dealer who can do this!  

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)