in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2009 9:02 PM by BeoNut1. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2009 6:54 PM

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I think this is very good news!

Dear Gang,

I know this product has been mentioned on this site before, but it's now out of beta testing and is shipping (apparently just in the past day or two).  It's called "RedEye" and it's by a company called ThinkFlood.  I picked-up on it via one of the Apple rumor sites (MacDailyNews) that I was perusing today, and it looks like it might be just the thing we've been waiting for in terms of an easy, user-programmable remote that utilizes the power of the iPhone / iPod Touch to fully control B&O equipment.

I'm in the process of putting together a BV-7 55" set-up (haven't actually gotten one yet, but am designing my set-up).  As an Apple guy who uses Apple TVs in addition to cable boxes, I like B&O's PUC and the ability to control these and other devices via IR blasters.  However, I'm finding myself in somewhat of a quandary as I'd like to use just a Beo 4 and an iPod Touch to control everything, but I'm ticked that the Blu-ray player in the BV-7 is a pain in the buttocks to control via the Beo 4.  Likewise, I'd like to actually control a separate Blu-ray/DVD/Netflix player, and I can't seem to figure out how to do this other than going the Beo 5 route and meandering through all that programming stuff.  As someone who lives far from the nearest B&O store, I find the Beo 5 programming route daunting and unnecessarily arduous (I guess I'm just too use to the Apple way of things).

If this new software/hardware called RedEye gets B&O codes soon, this could be the answer to my prayers - I could control my B&O A/V set-up as well as the Apple TV, cable box, additional Blu-ray/Netflix box, etc. all via an iPod Touch and all with easily programmed sequences to turn on my unique stuff.  I actually called the company this afternoon and though they didn't give an exact time frame for uploading the actual B&O IR codes, they implied that it'd be in the next month or so.

What do you guys think?  Is my excitement unwarranted?

Mark

Mark D
  • 12-03-2009 7:15 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: I think this is very good news!

Looks interesting.
    Here is a LINK to their site for other members.
    I believe that there are other manufacturers who make a Wi-Fi to IR box too.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-03-2009 7:23 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

I was of the impression that the frequency of the signals used by B&O remotes are very different form other remotes.  Is the ability to transmit B&O compatible signals built in to the RedEye hardware?

Sverre 

• 12-03-2009 7:34 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yes Sverre B&O are different frequencies than most equipment, but  they are working on it. Apparently their hardware is able to broadcast B&O frequencies.
    Found this in thewir FAQs

Which devices does the RedEye support?
    The RedEye supports devices that utilize traditional infrared technology, but not those that use Bluetooth (such as the Sony PS3 or Nintendo Wii).

We know of one exception to the above, and it is temporary: Bang & Olufsen devices. The issue is that our infrared learning unit does not operate in the frequency range that some B&O devices us. However, our infrared LEDs can handle those frequencies, so with B&O codes in our database you will be able to control those devices. We should have B&O devices in the database within the next few weeks. (top)

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-03-2009 9:02 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I wonder if we could get Keith Saunders to help these guys?

I know I'm being redundant, but for us Apple / B&O guys this could potentially be the bomb if implemented correctly.

M

Mark D
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)