in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-15-2009 12:16 PM by Peter. 70 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-05-2009 4:38 PM In reply to

• santi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-08-2007
    • Barcelona
    • Posts 170
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoVision 10 - an owner's view.

Peter :

Another feature missing is the P-i-P function - not a huge miss if I am honest.

Peter,

There is no PinP at all? not even between scart sources or HDMI sources alone? meaning not mixing analog and digital sources?

This happens with BV7MK1 (don't know with upper versions), there is only PinP between analog sources.

Santi
  • 12-05-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

Not there at all and not in the manual.

Interestingly, whilst playing today, the sound quality is a bit better in Speaker 1 than Speaker 5! I think the centre speaker is just too prominent and it loses the lower registers in Speaker 5 so sounds overly bright. I think some of this is my set up as the front speakers are quite widely spaced.

• 12-05-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Guys the BV7-32 was B&O's replacement for the avant > the only problem was that they were ignorant at the time that it's now a neccesity for people to have bigger screens (bigger is better it seems, but IMHO anything bigger in a normal sized living room, leaves the screen as the focal point of the room and that jusy akes the room a bit anti-social doean't it)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-05-2009 6:22 PM In reply to

The BV10 on the floorstand is almost exactly the same height and width as the Avant. Cerainly no more dominating and even less so when wall mounted.

• 12-05-2009 8:22 PM In reply to

Peter :
    Interestingly, whilst playing today, the sound quality is a bit better in Speaker 1 than Speaker 5!

Does it have balance between the centre speakers and any attached speakers ?

I have "lowered" the strength of the centre speaker on my BV8 ....

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-06-2009 3:50 AM In reply to

It is the same chassis - you can make the connected speakers louder but not the centre speaker quieter. Domehow it just doesn't have the oomph that the Avant did in surround. If playing the Lord of the Rings DVD, the explosion as Sauron's finger lands is just not as dramatic. I'll keep playing!

• 12-06-2009 3:55 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

Guys the BV7-32 was B&O's replacement for the avant > the only problem was that they were ignorant at the time that it's now a neccesity for people to have bigger screens (bigger is better it seems, but IMHO anything bigger in a normal sized living room, leaves the screen as the focal point of the room and that jusy akes the room a bit anti-social doean't it)

Depends on the scenario. I have a TV room which is used for watching movies, using the PS3 and so on. The TV is the social event in that room. In my bigger kitchen/living room, I have a much smaller 26" TV which doesn't dominate.

People on this board make me laugh. Even the BV7-32 has a very decent picture, when you give it an excellent source. Sky HD (SD or HD) gives a superb picture on nearly any 2009 B&O TV. This 'Avant replacement' thing is a bit of a joke. On one hand people say the TV shouldn't be the focal point, but then are anal over picture quality!

• 12-06-2009 4:28 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

moxxey:
    On one hand people say the TV shouldn't be the focal point, but then are anal over picture quality!

I don't think that is a contradiction.

Let's say you mainly use your livingroom for other activities than watching tv, maybe you spend one hour each day watching. The rest of the day you want the tv set to be as non-dominant as possible. Does this mean that you don't have the right to be a critical viewer during that one hour that you use your tv?

edit:

On the other hand, I now read what you wrote about having a separate tv room, and I think that's a great solution. I still think it's ok to demand good quality for the smaller livingroom set though :)

• 12-06-2009 5:02 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    On one hand people say the TV shouldn't be the focal point, but then are anal over picture quality!

Exactly right!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-06-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

Tv is in a corner of our sitting room - we have one area to watch TV and the other end is more music orientated with instruments - a piano and my daughter's cello and trumpet along with a different music system. So TV certainly doesn't dominate but is there when we want it. Only disadvantage is that you have to squeeze past to get to the whisky cabinet - probably not such a bad thing!

Sound is getting better - I have been fiddling with the setting on my speakers and boosting the bass response on the 2 and the Pentas has added in a fair bit of the missing presence. LOTR can once again rattle the house as well! The top end of the BV10 is, if anything, clearer than the Avant and this could distort one's perception. I will be very interested in the sister review of the BV10 compared to that already seen of the BV8-40. 

• 12-06-2009 6:21 AM In reply to

Thanks for your nice review. Having ordered a BV10 I get a bit conserned about the sound of the set compared to my Avant. However I never use the Speaker 1 option, and my main consern is how the BV10 will work as a centre channel speaker in surround 5.1. Most 5.1 movies or music conserts use the centre channel to reproduce the voices and the other front speakers to music and effects. There are usually not much bass through the centre speaker, so I´m more conserned about the lack of mid range capabilities. Can it reproduce voices as clear and real as todays Avant... Of course it doesn´t have the same capabilities as the BL7-4, but that speaker costs more than half the price of the BV10.

My BV10 is going to be wall mounted. Hopefully no more delays. I wonder about the changes of the wall mount. We´ll see! 

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 12-06-2009 7:39 AM In reply to

hi peter when watching lord of the rings how does the picture look with the cgi effects of this film?

it must look really incredible and with the soundtrack this film has it must feel like your at the cinema in your house i would like to hear your feedback thanks.

• 12-06-2009 10:32 AM In reply to

thavn:

Thanks for your nice review. Having ordered a BV10 I get a bit conserned about the sound of the set compared to my Avant. However I never use the Speaker 1 option, and my main consern is how the BV10 will work as a centre channel speaker in surround 5.1. Most 5.1 movies or music conserts use the centre channel to reproduce the voices and the other front speakers to music and effects. There are usually not much bass through the centre speaker, so I´m more conserned about the lack of mid range capabilities. Can it reproduce voices as clear and real as todays Avant... Of course it doesn´t have the same capabilities as the BL7-4, but that speaker costs more than half the price of the BV10.

My BV10 is going to be wall mounted. Hopefully no more delays. I wonder about the changes of the wall mount. We´ll see! 

I think you will find voices are fine - very clear. I think it is better with Dolby Digital and DTS and less impressive with Dolby Pro-Logic. I suppose that is fair enough! I am sure you will like your BV10.

• 12-09-2009 3:40 PM In reply to

can i ask if you have any problems with clouding on the screen? its very clear on mine for example credits on the screen after a film or during programs with a dark shot! adjusting the contrast seems to help a little. cheers tom

• 12-09-2009 4:01 PM In reply to

Slight artefact with white letters on a black background but not really noticeable unless you go looking - the BV7-55 does something similar. Remain very impressed with the picture quality with all sources and coming around more to the sound now I have altered the speaker settings. I still think the centre speaker has too much weight in a surround set up but playing with it has toned this down a bit. 

Quite a bit slower to react when switched on compared to the Avant, which is not that quick itself. 

• 12-13-2009 2:33 PM In reply to

I got my BV10 on friday. After a weekend of mounting and listening I must say I am pleasently surprised with the sound. I have compared the sound with my Avant, and I think it matches the Avant without big problems. A little less bass, but the sound is overall more clear and real. I was a bit sceptic after Peters review, but I am very happy with the sound.

As far as the picture is conserned I am VERY surprised about the nice picture from the SD channels. Maybe due to the 200hz panel?? HD is of course very nice. But to test the full-HD panel we saw "The Dark Knight" on BD last night. What can I say; it is stunning! Lots and lots of details, black is black.

The BV10 is a wonderful TV. It has a very nice picture, good sound, and it is beautiful when off as well! Tha last thing is actually very important to me. Most of the time the TV is off, and it is still very nice to look at!

Thavn

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 12-13-2009 2:57 PM In reply to

• fraberg
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 40
    • Gold Member

Hello 

Heard anything around BV 10-46 ???

When can we see it stores ?

• 12-15-2009 5:01 AM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

Which remote did you get with your BV10,

Beo 4 or 5?

BV10

• 12-15-2009 5:38 AM In reply to

Mine came with a Beo5 but, as I already had one, I gave it back and was credited. I actually am still using a Beo4 though! Clearly getting set in my ways!! Big Smile

• 12-15-2009 12:00 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Peter.Smile Sorry I have not replied earlier (Eastbourne etc)
    Thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into this thread.
    Although I will not be buying a BV10 in the near future, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this.
    I wonder if your center speakers are 'running in', and will continue to improve.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-15-2009 12:16 PM In reply to

No, but getting used to it. Nice set though and recommended thoroughly for picture quality. Playing with the Penta settings and the speaker balance has improved it, but has not totally eliminated my concerns. Congratulations on the 10,000 by the way!

Page 3 of 3 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3