in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-15-2009 12:16 PM by Peter. 70 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2009 9:09 AM In reply to

Re: BeoVision 10 - an owner's view.

mbee:

Everytime B&O release a new speaker; people complain of a lack of bass... Then the speakers are being used, and people notice a bass improvement... Maybe that's the case with all the brand new BV8 : they have to be run to improve bass reproduction...

I know what you mean but this is not really about bass. I have a BL2 which does bass. This is what used to be called presence - have a listen for yourself at a showroom. The sound just doesn't envelope one. I suppose I am used to my Avant in which the sound is excellent so I am spoiled, but my LX has better sound too. The picture is exceptional though.

• 12-04-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter for sharing this with us !

Quoi de mieux qu'un BeoLab 2 ? 2 BeoLab 2 !

• 12-04-2009 1:56 PM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

what i want ( and probably a fair amount of potential bno tv buyers too i reckon ) is the connections of the bv 7 , the looks of the bv10 at the price of the bv8

one can dream..

And the sound from BV9.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-04-2009 2:08 PM In reply to

The 9 is only mono - I want the sound from a 7.2!  An Avant would do though!

• 12-04-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

i'm still waiting for the new avant

i know it took the crt 50+ years to evolve into what that became , but you'd think at the progress of technology we'd be able to come up with something more impressive than the bv10

it doesn't even have a built in source

popgear is grate™

• 12-04-2009 6:25 PM In reply to

Is it true that the wall bracket for the 10-40 will be the same as for the 10-46?

• 12-05-2009 2:35 AM In reply to

No idea!

The BV10 is a good set - the picture is excellent - I look forward to the professional review. I would say it is the best picture offered at present by an LCD in the range - it even has a couple of advantages over the adaptive lighting of the BV7-55 in my view. Edge bleed will no doubt be mentioned but to my eyes is not an issue. I feel that a software solution to the sound could be possible with a slightly different mix in surround systems. Still playing with the set up! It is actually quite a good replacement set for my Avant - the bigger picture and reduced profile are excellent. It is also in my view the best looking set in the range.

• 12-05-2009 3:17 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Peter,

Have you got the full package (AR screen, other colored cloths, another remote) ?

• 12-05-2009 3:45 AM In reply to

I didn't want another coloured cloth, it has AR and DVB-HD as standard and did come with a Beo5 , though I have returned this as I already have one. Mine also has the motorised floor stand.

I don't want people to think I am unhappy with this set - I am not - but I wanted to do an honest appraisal for those considering a purchase so they could proceed with some knowledge.

• 12-05-2009 3:45 AM In reply to

it's probably designed to go against a wall so as to reinforce the speaker sound

out in free space i'm not surprised it sounds thin

popgear is grate™

• 12-05-2009 3:52 AM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

it's probably designed to go against a wall so as to reinforce the speaker sound

I was thinking about that this morning! Smile It would be nice if someone could verify this.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-05-2009 4:29 AM In reply to

• santi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-08-2007
    • Barcelona
    • Posts 170
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Peter for such a good review. I was not expecting the lack of PiP function, it is important for me. Do you think that will be solved by a software upgrade?

Santi
  • 12-05-2009 6:45 AM In reply to

Agree. I would miss PiP too. Thanks to Peter for the helpful review. Any replacement for the Avant for me has to have as good or better stand-alone sound so BV10 can be discounted. I have LX tv's also and know just how good these sound.

A  BV7 - 40 will be my replacement a few years down the line unless that is B&O make a larger BV6 (my favourite B&O LCD). In the meantime I will enjoy the stunning SD picture. My Avant produces a better picture with greater depth and colour quality from the nearby analogue transmitter (2 more years to go) than via a Thompson Sky box which is dull and flat by comparison.

David

• 12-05-2009 7:28 AM In reply to

The only thing about that is that the port exits at the rear. And the wall mount is designed to angle the set away from the wall, unlike the Beolab 3000/5000 which are firmly attached.

• 12-05-2009 8:01 AM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

One other piece of news - the original wall bracket has been found to be unsuitable for purpose and has been redesigned. If you have one already, expect a visit from your dealer. Seems to have been caught before any untoward incidents.

Hi Peter,

I got mine installed yday. Dealer told me that the wall bracket is already the modified one and hence in Luxembourg they had to wait longer for the new bracket to arrive in the shop. It was the first wall bracket they did install so it took them quite some time.

I'll try to post pictures over the weekend and give my impression. It will though not be as harsh as yours as it's my first B&O TV and compared to what I had before (an 2001 Sony CRT 32 inch), this sounds absolutely fabulous to me. But I can confirm that listening to it in the shop and at home (this morning) , bass doesn't come out strong. 

Given it's my first B&O setup, my comments are probably less of a help to long-time B&O owners. For the potential future buyers I can say that half a day B&O experience is enough for me to never come back! And my wife thinks the same. The design, build quality,  sound, user interface, integration etc are really great. If you value those attributes, there is nothing else to buy, not even Loewe!

Patrizio

• 12-05-2009 8:06 AM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

beocool:

Flappo The Grate:

I was thinking about that this morning! Smile It would be nice if someone could verify this.

Will try and go to the shop early next week with a couple of my CDs and compare vs theirs on the floor stand and vs the BV8. As mentioned in my previous post, too early for me to give more details, as it did arrive yday.

• 12-05-2009 8:15 AM In reply to

That is really helpful. The more opinions the better as far as I am concerned. I realise I am being quite harsh but that is because I am used to excellence and it is this standard by which B&O should be judged - one should remember that this is a £6000 TV!

• 12-05-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

hi petz and congratulations iam really looking forward to hearing your views and hopefully some pictures to.

when i saw this tv for the first time in the store i thought that the image was really impressive i did like the sound quality although the bass wasn't as deep as other b&0 tvs i have heard.

i have owned tvs with sound quality nowhere on a par with b&0 full stop.

i thought that the overall range and clarity of the sound was incredible for a tv with such a slim cabinet.

once again congrats.

• 12-05-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

A few pictures! I am a lousy photographer, so apologies!

First one in situ - Beolab 2 next to it for scale.

BV10

• 12-05-2009 9:22 AM In reply to

This is not a thick set!

• 12-05-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

The speakers...

• 12-05-2009 9:32 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It DOES look good here. Very nice indeed. You have a beautiful place by the looks of it!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-05-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

In their test of the BV8-40,Flatpanelshd state that B & O has increased not only the driver complement in it's loudspeaker,but has also incorporated a larger power supply,and increased the voltage being supplied to the speaker array.

The review is well worth reading.

• 12-05-2009 2:45 PM In reply to

david707:

Agree. I would miss PiP too. Thanks to Peter for the helpful review. Any replacement for the Avant for me has to have as good or better stand-alone sound so BV10 can be discounted. I have LX tv's also and know just how good these sound.

A  BV7 - 40 will be my replacement a few years down the line unless that is B&O make a larger BV6 (my favourite B&O LCD). In the meantime I will enjoy the stunning SD picture. My Avant produces a better picture with greater depth and colour quality from the nearby analogue transmitter (2 more years to go) than via a Thompson Sky box which is dull and flat by comparison.

David

I think this is a wise choice David. I have owned the Mark III 7-40 since November 2007 and while I didn't like it at first (my heart was always set on the BV5) it has grown on me a lot and more than that, it has shown its potential as the true replacement for the Avant, at least in my opinion. We have the DVD 32" Avant in our family home and I have often made comparisons between the two. SD picture quality is better on the Avant although the 7-40 with a high quality digital broadcast does show SD very well. When it comes to high definition on the the 7-40 the picture really is superb and beats the Avant picture hands down. It is equally superb on the BV10 but the 7-40 has to win over as the Avant replacement based on sound, DVD player, picture processing and build quality. It has a really solid feel to it. I think the BV10 is a good TV for a certain market but its not the Avant replacement market. I am looking forward to the day when television broadcasts are all in HD with much better cameras than they use now. I think there is more to come from all HD TVs, particularly those from B&O. By the time you are ready to buy David you could be paying very little for a Mark III or higher 7-40 and this would represent excellent value for money. Of course you need to buy a Mark III at least to ensure you have the BeoSystem 3 picture processing capability.

• 12-05-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

Peter :

I don't want people to think I am unhappy with this set - I am not - but I wanted to do an honest appraisal for those considering a purchase so they could proceed with some knowledge.

Full marks Peter for a truly critical review.

It will be interesting to hear from Petz and others whether wall mounting does improve the sound/bass. If there is a fundamental sound difference between wall and floor mounting I can foresee a supplementary speaker/ soundbar  being brought out for fixing at the rear of the screen on the floorstand (or DIY versions!)

Listening to different sound qualities is subjective and you are always influenced by what you have heard immediately before. I moved an Avant (superb sound quality) and put in its place a BC1 pending further house rearrangements/upgrades. The immediate impression was that the BC1 had inferior bass to the Avant. However, now that we listen to the Avant and BC1 in completely different locations, the BC1 now seems to have superb sound quality in its own right! (They're all very good relative to other TV manufacturers!)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 2 of 3 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >