in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-15-2009 12:16 PM by Peter. 70 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (71 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2009 12:33 PM

BeoVision 10 - an owner's view.

I have now had my BeoVision 10 for nearly a week so feel able to put some thoughts to paper - or ether!

Arrival

It actually beat me home as I was working a Saturday surgery and had dropped in on one of my poorly patients on the way home. It was deliverd at fitted by Terry Carr who used to be part of B&O Newcastle but who is now self employed but contracts to the local stores. As an aside, he is also qualified to service B&O - he had a Beogram 4000 and a 4002 on the go as I was talking to him. He and Kevin arrived to fit the set and also moved the Avant into the study and the AV9000 upstairs (thank you very much!) The Avant had been moved and the AV9000 unplugged by the time of my return. Kevin spent a good time setting up the cables for the BV10 first and only when he was happy did they bring it in. As usual with B&O sets, it was on a pallet and we disassembled this outside the house. I had opted for the floor stand so this had already been assembled and it was then a matter of moments to attach the bracket to the back of the BV10 and then fix it to the stand. The cables were neatly attached under the removable cover and run through the sock to the wall. A much neater job than I had managed with the Avant and very unobtrusive. After a little trouble tuning the digital tuner (it was determined to use the Teeside transmitter) all the stations were present and after a hand over, I was left with it.

First Impressions

The visual footpint when looking at the set is very much the same as the Avant. Very similar height and width but obviously a cleaner profile as the front is almost completely flat with only the very slim speaker cover interupting the glass screen. The black cover almost disappears in the setting I have the BV10 in and this is very pleasing to the eye. When in stand by, there is a small red LED at the bottom of the set, below the speaker cover and this turns to green when the set switches on. It then disappears so not to be obtrusive - a nice touch.

The frame is polished aluminium with BANG & OLUFSEN written on the top - not obtrusive. The corners are quite sharp - you would not want to poke you eye with one and the back of the bezel is also a little sharp. Worth knowing with kids around. The bezel itself looks a lot thinner than it actually is - quite an attractive feature. The floor stand is that from the BeoVision 6-26 only slightly modified, so it is the whole base that rotates, not the pole.

Impressions are of a well made set, heavy and certainly quite a looker in my eyes.

The Picture

Excellent in a word! Very good colour, good blacks and a fine ability to cope with fast moving objects. To my (poor) eyes, it is the equal of the Avant when used on digital sources and the HD sources possibly offer that little bit more. I do think that this is however largely down to the quality of the broadcasts as I had noticed an improvement of picture on the Avant when using the SKY HD box (a Samsung by the way...)My twelve year old daughter, with much better eyes, thinks it is great and just as good as the old one!

Pictures on the DVB-HD tuner were fine though the signal strength is not great and some channels can become blocky. Unfortunately this is unlikely to improve unless the tree preservation rules change and I get a bigger chain saw. I did not try the analogue tuner as there seemed little point! I will try the V8000 through it though and will report back!!

The Sound

The sound, the sound! Compared to other TVs, not B&O, it is fine. Indeed it is remarkable for the thin design of the set. However compared to the Avant or LX6000, it is disappointing. So much so that I am considering getting another pair of speakers and seeing if they can be used as a centre speaker instead. I am getting used to it but it does not have the warm body of sound that the Avant and LX offer and which make those TV sets  realistic channels to play Hi-Fi through. I would say that it is less impressive than the BeoVision 8-40 as well. This is certainly the Achilles heel of the BV10.

Operation

The manual comes with instructions on how to work the set with both a Beo4 and a Beo5. To a B&O novice, the Beo5 could well prove to be the way to go - nice backlighting, clever buttons and a neat design. To a B&O geek, use a Beo4. Much easier and you don't need to look at the remote. It works with a Beolink 1000 as well! Highpoints include the magic curtains, nice menus and clear channel identifiers at the top of the picture - no separate display area but fine. I mainly use Sky HD so the programme guide is that of Sky, but the built in EPG is clear and usable. I would bemoan the lack of a decent hard disc recorder but Sky HD integrates perfectly. To powewr link rooms, a RF amplifier is required and this surprised me by offering a far better picture in the link room than the RF distributor in the Avant. I imagine it is a stronger signal as the Avant had needed considerable fiddling with and altering of the link frequency to obtain a watchable picture on my LX6000 whereas the picture now is excellent. Fooled me initially as I had to retune the LX but the memory kicked in eventually! A big disadvantage though is the lack of a proper timer in the BV10. There is a sleep timer which will switch off the set after a predetermined time but the BV10 cannot act as a master in a Beolink system. The options are either to use an audio product with a timer - I use the BeoCenter 2 - or get a BeoTime. There is also no PIN system - an omission that points to the origins of this TV. The chassis is that of the BV8-40. Another feature missing is the P-i-P function - not a huge miss if I am honest.One comment from the main user is that it takes a long time to turn on!

Summary

I believed this set could be the answer to what to get to replace an Avant. Instead it has shown itself to be a very capable set ideally suited to wall mounting and offering superb picture quality. For someone used to the sound of an Avant or better, this is not a replacement. An excellent bedroom set and it will work reasonably in a surround set up. The BV10-46 needs more sound quality though. Or the abilty to bypass the fitted speakers. Ultimately this is a set I have bought with my own money and I am satisfied - it does not however take me to a new level - I still may get a Beovision 5!!

• 12-03-2009 12:33 PM In reply to

Re: BeoVision 10 - an owner's view.

Pictures will follow!

• 12-03-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

Thank you Peter. Very well described!!! Enjoy your new TV. Waiting for some photos...

-Dimitris

• 12-03-2009 1:00 PM In reply to

Peter, thanks for sharing your experience in such an elaborate way. I'm still very interested in getting a Beovision 10 in a year or so, but sound is a big issue for me. When I looked at the Beovision 10, I liked it a lot. It was part of a surround system with 4 Beolab 6000's and a Beolab 2. Perhaps the dealer was trying to hide a shortcoming in the sound area. I will have to listen to the TV itself before I make my final judgement.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-03-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

hi peter i enjoyed reading your review on the bv10.

what do you think of the motion handling on films does it provide you with a sharp noise and blur free image on a good hd source?

• 12-03-2009 1:32 PM In reply to

beocool:

Peter, thanks for sharing your experience in such an elaborate way. I'm still very interested in getting a Beovision 10 in a year or so, but sound is a big issue for me. When I looked at the Beovision 10, I liked it a lot. It was part of a surround system with 4 Beolab 6000's and a Beolab 2. Perhaps the dealer was trying to hide a shortcoming in the sound area. I will have to listen to the TV itself before I make my final judgement.

As Beocool also states, is it my view or not, that apart from the eagerness on everything new, in terms of B&O TV's we shall keep a ''cool head'' and wait?

So many upgrades are coming so often , and mostly without the option to be upgraded youreslf. Imagine the differences on BV7-40 MK I and MK IV. It is so unfair......

As i am one that has already been ''deceived'' (i own a BV7-32 MK II) i now prefer to wait.....

-Dimitris

• 12-03-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

One other piece of news - the original wall bracket has been found to be unsuitable for purpose and has been redesigned. If you have one already, expect a visit from your dealer. Seems to have been caught before any untoward incidents.

• 12-03-2009 4:03 PM In reply to

Congrats Peter, but I got to correct you there... there has been accidents. My dealer said that some poor B&O installer had his foot crushed by a falling BV10 due to the wall bracket. I think that after he poor guy gets better, we will have the first person on earth that will actually hate a BeoVision :)

Peter :

One other piece of news - the original wall bracket has been found to be unsuitable for purpose and has been redesigned. If you have one already, expect a visit from your dealer. Seems to have been caught before any untoward incidents.

• 12-03-2009 4:39 PM In reply to

• Neil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 34
    • Gold Member

Peter,

I'm intrigued by your insistence on receiving DVB from Teeside (Bilsdale?) instead of Pontop Pike. Is this out of choice or by necessity? Thank you for a most interesting review.

Regards,

Neil.

• 12-03-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

Excellent review Peter!

Thanks.

And sadly as you pointed out the achilles heal is the sound, that was the no-go for me. I'm surely more happy with my BV5. I was probably expecting too much, as I expected it to sound like my BV5...

Still, it is an awesome TV, with a wonderful picture and looks! Yes -  thumbs up

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-03-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

Neil:

Peter,

I'm intrigued by your insistence on receiving DVB from Teeside (Bilsdale?) instead of Pontop Pike. Is this out of choice or by necessity? Thank you for a most interesting review.

Regards,

Neil.

It wasn't me! It was the set! We got around this by only connecting the aerial when it was scanning the Pontop Pike stations - the signal is just not great from anywhere - lots of trees! The signal from Teeside is possibly the strongest but the resulting pictures were unstable at times. Pontop Pike are OK most of the time. I dare say they will be better still when they boost the signal.

On the wall bracket - I meant no customer injuries! The one at the launch seemed to have had a slight bump itself! I imagine dealers are expendable! Laughing

• 12-03-2009 5:18 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Peter,

Is the sound comparable to an MX7000 for instance?

beoaus

• 12-03-2009 5:52 PM In reply to

• Neil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 34
    • Gold Member

Peter,

Right, got it now! However, increased transmitter power following DSO is proving to be a mixed blessing. The problem of receiving the "wrong" transmitter increases dramatically as service areas expand and overlap. (As many viewers in the Granada area are now finding-- Welsh channels appearing instead of English!)  The best way to overcome this is to manually tune the DVB receiver to each wanted multiplex, but I am unsure if this is possible with B&O, and of course has to be done every time a retune is necessary. Seems like a good way to promote satellite to me!

Neil. 

• 12-03-2009 6:31 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Teesside Peter, Teesside :)

• 12-04-2009 1:46 AM In reply to

Apologies! Big Smile

• 12-04-2009 1:50 AM In reply to

beoaus:

Peter,

Is the sound comparable to an MX7000 for instance?

beoaus

No. An LX6000 is superior and a larger MX would be better also. Have not done a comaprison with a small MX as don't have one. The AV9000 is better , and that is a mono MX6000.

• 12-04-2009 2:25 AM In reply to

Had a demonstration in a shop, and I was really shocked by the sound - no bass at all.

Picture was gorgeous.

• 12-04-2009 2:38 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    I was really shocked by the sound - no bass at all.

Justification for the new "tulip" sub-woofer(s) ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-04-2009 3:17 AM In reply to

Actually it is not just no bass, it also seems to be the balance of where the sound comes from - I use a Beolab 2 and Pentas so there is no lack of bass potential - setting the system to Speaker 4 sorts the bass obviously, but speaker 5 seems to send too much to the centre speaker and the bass is just not there. I am going to play with the speaker type and see if that makes a difference. Fiddling with speaker levels makes little difference.

• 12-04-2009 4:47 AM In reply to

Peter i have ordered my BV10 and currently have a beocenter 2 bl8000 and a bl2

What do you reckon is the best speaker setting  for watching tv and dvs

many thanks from the sunny canary isles

malcolm welborn

• 12-04-2009 5:54 AM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

Thanks Peter for your review,

I´m waiting for mine to arrive in a week or two. I´m changing from a BV5 MK1, I just hope I do the right thing.

But I want to fly in to the HD-world so, and my BV5 is still my best B&O buy ever,

so I just have to look for a new wall to hang it on.

BV10

• 12-04-2009 7:48 AM In reply to

so the bv8 has better sound ?

popgear is grate™

• 12-04-2009 8:37 AM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

so the bv8 has better sound ?

In my view, yes. The picture of the BV10 is a fair bit better. Still playing with speaker settings to find the best balance. I wonder if the sound might improve when wall mounted. It would be interesting to do a frequency response analysis on the 10 though. Sounds like a chunk of lower midrange is missing to me. Maybe one for puncher!

• 12-04-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Everytime B&O release a new speaker; people complain of a lack of bass... Then the speakers are being used, and people notice a bass improvement... Maybe that's the case with all the brand new BV8 : they have to be run to improve bass reproduction...

• 12-04-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

what i want ( and probably a fair amount of potential bno tv buyers too i reckon ) is the connections of the bv 7 , the looks of the bv10 at the price of the bv8

one can dream..

popgear is grate™

Page 1 of 3 (71 items) 1 2 3 Next >