in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-02-2009 5:12 AM by Toubro. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2009 8:56 PM

Beolabs turning on/off.... harmful?

Since I connected my BL8K/2 to my new pre-amp all is good.

However, whenever I mute or pause the sound for a bit - the speakers will turn off (yes, I know part of how they work)

Is this constant on/off bad for them?

Is there a way that I can prevent them from going off even if there is no audio signal going to them?

-michael

• 12-02-2009 3:34 AM In reply to

Re: Beolabs turning on/off.... harmful?

Working as designed, so it should be safe. Not much you can do about it externally, except just turning down the volume instead of muting.

I guess it would be just a change of a couple of components in the autostart circuit to alter the time constant for automatic off, but I'm sure it's not worth the trouble.

-mika

• 12-02-2009 5:04 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Not a techie, but I would suggest that it is good for them to keep switching on and off. A regularly used solenoid/switch/relay is less likely to carbon up. Just a thought.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-02-2009 5:12 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Which pre-amp is it?? Some pre-amps have "trigger outputs" which is often 12V. This can easily be converted to 5V, which is, (if I remember correctly), the voltage that Beolabs receive in the Powerlink cables to tell them whether they are on or off.

If this is possible, the speakers should turn on/off with the pre-amp, instead of the sound.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)