in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2009 8:10 AM by burantek. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2009 2:05 AM

Latest ALT and more speakers spotted in a new car! See photo below.

Hi,

I just spotted the latest ALT speakers in the new Audi A8. See the photo at the rights side.

Regards, Robert

• 12-01-2009 2:06 AM In reply to

Re: Latest ALT and more speakers spotted in a new car! See photo below.

And the A8 outside:

• 12-01-2009 2:29 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

A nice Scoop, Robert!

Roger

• 12-01-2009 5:26 AM In reply to

Sorry, but what a horrible looking car!!

• 12-01-2009 7:11 AM In reply to

Thanks for sharing, Robert. I do prefer the outgoing model, though, both inside and out. Audi design is usually good (and predictable) but the headlights spoil the front of this car. Sad

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-01-2009 8:15 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 35
    • Gold Member

Car looks great to me :-)...

Rob

BS9000 Ltd Ed., BV5 HD Ready, AVANT DVD, BL5000, BL8000, BL11, Beovox 2500 Cubes, Beovox 3000

• 12-01-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

If this is how it is really going to look; I must admit the Audi people are brave. In my eyes this car looks terrible, but maybe you get used to it over time. However the last 7-series BMW I never got used to...

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 12-01-2009 9:37 AM In reply to

Hmmm... I like it!

I have a D2 and a D3 presently Big Smile

Nice to see that they got the MMI moved, but they have moved to the key push start -not sure if I like that!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-01-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Rob:

Car looks great to me :-)...

Me tooSmile

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-01-2009 10:58 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

beaker:

Sorry, but what a horrible looking car!!

Get a grip Beaker!   It's gorgeous!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-01-2009 11:07 AM In reply to

i hate the current trends in car (frontal) design - all they ever look like is either a Pokemon or an angry lizard. Well I got used to the flapping jaw in the Audis, so maybe this will pass with time as well... Love the interior though.

-mika

• 12-01-2009 11:25 AM In reply to

tournedos:
    i hate the current trends in car (frontal) design - all they ever look like is either a Pokemon or an angry lizard. Well I got used to the flapping jaw in the Audis, so maybe this will pass with time as well... Love the interior though.

Angry lizard... Laughing great description!

I must admit that it took a while to get used to the cow yoke grill as well. Fortunately, my state does not have a front plate requirement, so I have been able to use the cleaner grill fill plates. The new light systems on the other hand... still trying to get used to them!

Audi's interiors have always been one of my favorites... very subtle. This new rev appears to be getting a bit busy, especially the newer teardrop speaker shapes, but it is very beautiful! Maybe that is why I always tend to go for black/dark interiors.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-01-2009 11:42 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I love Audis, but this one just doesn't go well with my eyes. I think it looks like an A4 that has been stretched, with a bad result.

A thing that I really like about cardesign are the lights, and Audis LED lights are incredible, but I don't like the LED form in these lights.

Well, maybe I just need to get used to the looks, but it isn't love at first sight for me.

• 12-01-2009 11:59 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

For me they had the headlights perfect, these... not so much. I don't understand why they couldn't carry over a similar design from r8 or a5/s5. Couldn't leave well enough alone.

I agree with Mika. It will probably grow on me over time. Most ugly/different cars usually do become appealing to me after a while.

Has the volume control knob moved or is it in the same place as it was in the old car? Can't really tell from the pic.

Evan

• 12-01-2009 12:22 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Newsroom

Just found it on B&O site.

Evan

• 12-01-2009 12:56 PM In reply to

burantek:

Audi's interiors have always been one of my favorites... very subtle. This new rev appears to be getting a bit busy, especially the newer teardrop speaker shapes, but it is very beautiful! Maybe that is why I always tend to go for black/dark interiors.

Some years ago I test drove an early 2000's M-B S-something in Germany. The light interior in that was pretty much perfect to my eyes, smooth forms, no clutter - although the light interiors are always bad at night and at dusk. Too many annoying reflections.

The problem with most luxury cars nowadays is that they don't look like what they are, and if they do, they do it in a tacky way. Years ago on the Cadillac mailing list somebody formulated this spot on - the quality that is needed is "commanding presence". Cadillac found it in the 1930's and it stayed until it was sadly mostly lost in the '80s downsizing. Even a complete automotive heathen will immediately know what kind of a car just pulled up. Mostly this was achieved in a subtle way, keeping some familiar cues for decades - like the Eldorado waist line from early 50's to the late 70's - and in how the tail fins transformed into vertical taillights. Don't give me the BMW kidneys, splatting them onto any form is just too easy. They are also able to carry their size and not look out of proportion.

M-B has some of this - my friend has a 350S from 1968 and it certainly doesn't feel like a common taxicab when you sit in it - but they just don't seem to last that long before looking outdated and baroque. Now they seem to have let the same self-educated carpenter that did the G(eländewagen) design the entire range, and it bores me out of my skull. I'll bet they'll be radically changed in five years.

So, the luxury and semi-luxury cars of today mostly look like overblown family sedans, with "commanding presence" far and between. The biggest dissappointment I had was probably some years ago when I was in a half comatose condition leaning on the window of a tram in Prague. It drove past the Opera house, and I remember thinking how "that VW Phaeton on the ramp has a funny logo on the tail...". A bit later it dawned upon me that it was a Maybach. It may be a great automobile and the price certainly is great, but don't get one thinking the peasants will be acknowledging you for that decision.

Oh well, at least this Audi will probably have a mindblowing sound system. Thanks for listening to the rant, I'll now return to autocorrelations and adaptive filtering Smile

-mika

• 12-01-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Does anyone know who the fourth automaker B&O is partnering with is? B&O mention a fourth maker in the interim report Q1 09/10 but didn't specify.

Evan

• 12-01-2009 1:17 PM In reply to

mercedes

see my previous post / thread

popgear is grate™

• 12-01-2009 1:38 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I count 3; Audi, Aston Martin and Merc.

Evan

• 12-01-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

evman140:
    Has the volume control knob moved or is it in the same place as it was in the old car? Can't really tell from the pic.

From my first post...

burantek:
    Nice to see that they got the MMI moved

(i.e.) Yes! Smile

Here is my D3 for comparison... (cell photo, sorry)

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-01-2009 2:27 PM In reply to

• 12-01-2009 10:23 PM In reply to

I like the car, except for one thing: what is that illuminated strip on the inside of the car, surrounding the roof console?  Hopefully it turns off when one is driving the vehicle.

-multimedia Robert-:

• 12-02-2009 8:29 AM In reply to

XavierItzmann:
    I like the car, except for one thing: what is that illuminated strip on the inside of the car, surrounding the roof console?  Hopefully it turns off when one is driving the vehicle.

That would be the interior courtesy light ON. If you pan to the right... the passenger door is ajar, as likely the rear is to take the pic. I suppose they could have turned it off...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-02-2009 9:12 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

XavierItzmann:

That would be the interior courtesy light ON. If you pan to the right... the passenger door is ajar, as likely the rear is to take the pic. I suppose they could have turned it off...

They probably want you to see it in the first place in these pics.

Evan

• 12-02-2009 9:47 AM In reply to

evman140:

burantek:

XavierItzmann:

They probably want you to see it in the first place in these pics.

You can adjust the color setting of the courtesy light. See the pics.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >