in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-30-2009 8:00 AM by Razlaw. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-29-2009 3:53 AM

Beovision 7-40 MKIII or MKIV

I'm thinking of buying a new TV, was thinking about the 10-40, but I wan the cinemafunction, so 7-40 seems to be a better idea. There is two options, demo-TV for 8200euros (MKIII) or a brand new for 12500 euros. Should I keep on saving money for the new one or buy a demo? And what do I loose on the MKIII? Do I get the new black menus? Can the DVB-HD module be placed in the MKIII? And the ethernetconnection, is that important?

• 11-29-2009 4:28 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 7-40 MKIII or MKIV

I had a similar dilemma earlier this year and decided on the MK111, partly because of the problems one or two members were experiencing with their models at the time, and also because there are only incremental improvements on picture quality; I have quite a few DVD's and only one Blue Ray disc which also had a bearing!

If there were a significant technological improvement then the additional 4,300 euros may be warranted.

Either way, a great television.

P

• 11-29-2009 5:51 AM In reply to

If they were both priced the same I would buy the Mark IV because its a newer model. However, for such a difference in price, the Mark III represents excellent value for money. I bought the Mark III from new in November 2007 and it is an excellent TV, no question. HD sources through Sky and Bluray films through my PS3 are brilliant. If the TV has the software update 6 or later then you will have the black menus as I do on mine, you can put a DVBT module in the Mark III, I also have one in mine. Not sure about a DVB-HD module as never heard of that so you'll have to check with your dealer on that one or perhaps someone else can help. Not sure about Ethernet connectivitiy either as its not something I use. I can tell you that its definitly worth buying at a price of 8,000 euros. If you use the 7-2 speaker with it then you have a very impressive TV solution.

All the best,
    Simon. 

• 11-29-2009 6:48 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Toralfsen:

I'm thinking of buying a new TV, was thinking about the 10-40, but I wan the cinemafunction, so 7-40 seems to be a better idea. There is two options, demo-TV for 8200euros (MKIII) or a brand new for 12500 euros. Should I keep on saving money for the new one or buy a demo? And what do I loose on the MKIII? Do I get the new black menus? Can the DVB-HD module be placed in the MKIII? And the ethernetconnection, is that important?

I would go for the MKIII. Main differences are the panel 50 Hz vs. 100 Hz and DVD vs. BR. They both have the BS3, same speakers, stands, design.

For the panel I must admit I can´t really see a difference in picture quality. But if you think there MUST be a difference you will SEE a difference for sure. Concerning the DVD/BR difference I thought about replacing the internal DVD player by the BR player, but I did not, because

- the way to control theBR player via Beo4. You have to press the yellow button (SHIFT) before pressing the command...(!)

- Beo`s BR player (and BS3) can NOT decode HD audio - No DTS HS, no DD True HD...(!)

- no BD content. Though Beo`s BR player got an Ethernet connectionn, you can`t get BD live content on the MKIII.

-Price. The internal BR player costs more than 1000 Euros - incl. installation.

So I keep my MKIII - btw I`m happy with it - and bought an LG BR player BD 390.

- can be easily controled via PUC from main- and linkrooms (assigned as DVD2).

- can send digital and analogue audio and video simultaneously (for linkroom use)

- decodes HD audio - DTS HD, DD True HD....

- can play movies from (USB and network) hard disks (Don`t need my Tvix 6500 anymore..)

- has the BD live content - and YouTube function

- price is 240 Euros.

Hope this helps

Stefan

• 11-29-2009 6:58 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Toralfsen:

... Do I get the new black menus? Can the DVB-HD module be placed in the MKIII? And the ethernetconnection, is that important?...

Sorry, I forgot: Yes, you will get the black menus. Since SW 5.XX menus are black on BS3. Afaik the DVB HD module can be fitted to MKIII.

Ethernet connection is for the BR player - BD live and BR software updates.

Stefan

• 11-29-2009 8:22 AM In reply to

Is the sound better on an external bluray player or inbuilt player in theory there should not be any difference

has anyone experimented with an external amplifier to see what benefit you would get with hd audio

• 11-29-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

HD audio is much better than DTS or DD. You can get HD audio out of your BS3 if your BR player can decode DTS HD or DD True HD to PCM multichannel. LG BD 390 is able to decode HD audio, Beo`s internal BR player not. PCM multichannel can only be distributed via HDMI. BS3 supports PCM multichannel, so an external amplifier is not necessary.

Stefan

• 11-29-2009 9:31 AM In reply to

What about the BV8-BV10???

Is it possible to get HD audio with a external blue ray player.Hmm

• 11-29-2009 9:44 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread with a question about the BV-7 55", but Stefan's list made me think.

Do we have any idea if B&O will update the BS3 on this bigger BV-7 to handle HD audio?  Also, any idea if the remote control of the BR will change on the bigger BV-7?

Mark

Mark D
  • 11-29-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

stefan:

HD audio is much better than DTS or DD. You can get HD audio out of your BS3 if your BR player can decode DTS HD or DD True HD to PCM multichannel. LG BD 390 is able to decode HD audio, Beo`s internal BR player not. PCM multichannel can only be distributed via HDMI. BS3 supports PCM multichannel, so an external amplifier is not necessary.

Stefan

I thought the internal Blu-Ray would decode Dolby  True HD but not DTS HD?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-29-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

One suggestion if you go for the MkIII. 

- Get your dealer to flash the Beosystem 3  with the latest 7.05 firmware. It only takes them 40 minutes and only costs them their time. I would also say this TV has been very bug ridden especially in working with SKY HD, so I'd highly recommend ensuring you keep with the latest software.

- Depending on how old the TV is, it also potentially came with a 4 year warranty (which came with TVs in late 97) you'll want to get your hands.

Like others I'd suggest taking the MKIII

- The DVB-HD is useless on 2 counts; its not got great feedback for reliabilty and will only benefit mainland European customers. There will have to be a new module made next year anyhow for the UK to support FreeView HD, so it would mean throwing out the DVB-HD and buying another one at some point.

- The core of the TV is the Beosystem 3 (thats where the value is) and whilst the screen supports extended functionality, its a modest gain. If the TV had moved to LED backlighting with a narrower chassis then it may have been worthwhile.

Hope that helps, Mark.

• 11-29-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

stefan:

if your BR player can decode DTS HD....Beo`s internal BR player not....

That's what he says :) ie. if your external Blu-ray player can, but that the internal drive cannot..

• 11-29-2009 3:35 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

This is probably an incredibly stupid question (but, then again, I'm it's source):

Is the ability to play Dolby True HD or DTS HD something that could be acquired through a future software update to the BS3?

M

Mark D
  • 11-29-2009 4:22 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Razlaw:

stefan:

That's what he says :) ie. if your external Blu-ray player can, but that the internal drive cannot..

Moxxey, please re-read the entirety of Stefan's posts.  He says that the INTERNAL blu-ray does NOT decode either Dolby HD or DTS HD. My comment was that it is my understanding that the INTERNAL blu-Ray player DOES decode Dolby True-HD   but DOES NOT decode DTS HD.  

Here is the quote from the first post  "- Beo`s BR player (and BS3) can NOT decode HD audio - No DTS HS, no DD True HD...(!)"

Obviously as you noted, an EXTERNAL player that Decodes both can be used.

My apologies if it is I who am misreading or misunderstanding a post.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/blu-ray

• 11-29-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Moxxey, please re-read the entirety of Stefan's posts.  He says..

Does it matter. Really, matter? We've gone over this thousands of times already and we have long since concluded. B&O even spell out the specs, clearly, on their site!

• 11-29-2009 6:23 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Razlaw:

Moxxey, please re-read the entirety of Stefan's posts.  He says..

Does it matter. Really, matter? We've gone over this thousands of times already and we have long since concluded. B&O even spell out the specs, clearly, on their site!

Obviously the specs are on the B and O site LOL.  See my post preceding yours...the link to the specs was posted.

• 11-29-2009 9:03 PM In reply to

BeoNut1:

I don't mean to hijack this thread with a question about the BV-7 55", but Stefan's list made me think.

Do we have any idea if B&O will update the BS3 on this bigger BV-7 to handle HD audio?  Also, any idea if the remote control of the BR will change on the bigger BV-7?

Mark

I looked at the BV7-55 this weekend in Chicago. My understanding is that everything is exactly the same as on the 40, except for the size of course.

• 11-29-2009 9:06 PM In reply to

BeoNut1:

This is probably an incredibly stupid question (but, then again, I'm it's source):

Is the ability to play Dolby True HD or DTS HD something that could be acquired through a future software update to the BS3?

M

I do not have any idea whether there might be such an upgrade in the future to the BS3. But remember the BS3 will accept PCM so if the Blu-Ray player decodes the formats you mention, the BS3 will output them. As for what formats are currently supported with the built in Blu-Ray player, see the following link......

• 11-30-2009 3:26 AM In reply to

Thanks for all answers, I guess I will go for the MKIII, the HD-module is not that important. So thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all of youSmileGift

• 11-30-2009 7:35 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Razlaw:

moxxey:

Razlaw:

stefan:

Moxxey, please re-read the entirety of Stefan's posts.  He says that the INTERNAL blu-ray does NOT decode either Dolby HD or DTS HD. My comment was that it is my understanding that the INTERNAL blu-Ray player DOES decode Dolby True-HD   but DOES NOT decode DTS HD.  

Here is the quote from the first post  "- Beo`s BR player (and BS3) can NOT decode HD audio - No DTS HS, no DD True HD...(!)"

Obviously as you noted, an EXTERNAL player that Decodes both can be used.

My apologies if it is I who am misreading or misunderstanding a post.

I`m really sorry. I didn`t want to restart the "Does BS3 decode HD audio or not" discussion/battle . BS3 can decode DD and DTS, but no HD audio. According to specs, BV7s new internal BR player can decode Dolby true HD, but no DTS HD. I hope, I`m allowed to copy Beo`s specs here:

"Sound wise the Blu-ray player in BeoVision 7-40 and 7-55 supports the following formats: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital + 7.1, Dolby Digital True HD 7.1, DTS 5.1, LPCM 7.1. Blu-ray discs with DTS HD 7.1 or DTS HD Master 7.1 will be decoded as DTS 5.1 "

I wrote that the internal BR player can`t decode Dolby True HD. This is wrong! Sorry to all Beoworlders and to Beo.

I hope you all had a nice weekend anyway - especially Razlaw and moxxey.... ...and thanks for the hint.

But I`m glad to hear, that Toralfsen could make his decision.

Stefan

• 11-30-2009 8:00 AM In reply to

No need to say sorry.  You did not in anyway re-start the debate.  Afterall, as both you and I mentioned in our posts the specifications are now clearly on the B and O web page.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)