in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-29-2010 5:26 PM by Judith. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-28-2009 1:34 PM

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Sky promises 3D Premier League football for ‘mid 2010’

3D is the future, I've tasted it.

link

link

Quote "Sadly, your 1080p plasma will have to be subbed for the bedroom telly and a new 3D compatible TV wheeled-in in its place, because the screen requires a whole new level of tech"

Technology is moving so fast these days its impossible to know when to jump aboard. I'd be gutted if I splashed out on a new B&O TV but wouldn't be able to watch the new 3D stuff when it takes off. 

• 11-28-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

• Judith
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 11-05-2009
    • London
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Re: Sky promises 3D Premier League football for ‘mid 2010’

It has already taken off. Channel 4, in the UK has been running 3D TV for a few weeks now. Sainsbury's supply complimentary 3D glasses as part of a joint initiative.  I have been sourcing and comparing higher quality 3D glasses from USA and France.  So far, the French 3D glasses are the best. I am also building a Blu-Ray library of 3D movies. (The Blu-Rays are shipped with 3D glasses.) Once one has the 3D glasses on for a few minutes it is easy to forget you are wearing them.  Ideally, it will be more exciting when the 3D TV screens are mainstream, but that won't be for a while yet. As long as you have Full HD TV you can have the full experience now. I am also experimenting with 3D on my iPhone.  There is a 3D application called 3D Camera and it is the best fun I have had for 54pence.Smile I take pictures out and about, then check the combined images with my paper 3D glasses and then load it to Twitter via Twitpic.

Filed under: , ,
  • 11-28-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Its a different 3D. Not the old style red and green glasses 3D.

• 11-28-2009 4:13 PM In reply to

Forget 3D, its all about Ultra HD, that's what the next generation TVs will be all about. Could be a while before we get to use the technology though as we need a fibre optic network to start with, let alone bandwidth, compression rates, storage and sound requirements to enjoy it in all its glory. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/hdtv/after-1080p-all-you-need-to-know-about-ultra-hd-467085

Simon.

• 11-28-2009 5:21 PM In reply to

This particular 3D is still based on having to wear special glasses. But there may be 3D imaging coming along where spectacles are not needed, but images are very accurately positioned behind a vertical screen of tiny prismatic columns so each eye receives a slightly different image. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

The current cinema resurrection with 3D glasses will soon lose its novelty. The no glasses/ special screen technique has been used several times in still photography (NIMSLO, Nishika, (a multi level marketing rip-off using simplified NIMSLO ideas)   and now to be attempted again by Fuji (as well as several DIY home PC software packages.))

The previous attempts on film or with digital processing have all been very labour intensive in terms of checking a final usable image and have therefore been very expensive, leading to business failures.

As digital processing keeps falling in cost there will be more attempts to conquer the no glasses 3D problem, but I don't think things will move so fast that your new B&O TV will need to be replaced anytime soon.Smile

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-28-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

• Judith
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 11-05-2009
    • London
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

It is not a different 3D.  It is Sky's way of creating some marketing leverage.   The Sky article mentions a prototype which may not be offered to subscribers. It refers to delivering to one of the screens which replaces the need to wear 3D glasses.  These screens will not be in households in 6 months time, because at the beginning of the product life cycle they will cost far more than £2K. 

Lets face it, many people do not know the difference between HD ready and Full HDTV's, Plasma vs LCDs and so on. Many people still don't know what Blu-Ray is let alone venture into the realm of exciting 3D possibilities.  

The article refers to a "new grammar", but there is nothing new in it.  The British film makers Bob Angell and Arthur Wooster have been shooting this way since the 50s.

Panasonic has some interesting developments with the P2 HD broadcast camera (small, compact, twin lens HD system), but one still requires the 3D glasses with the 3D-ready Plasma TV.  Westfield London has a demonstration between 8-13 Dec of the 3D TVs I believe. It should be exciting to attend just to see what is going on and as I live close by I will check it out. 

Here is the reference: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Viera+Flat+Screen+Televisions/Overview/The+UK%27s+First+Full+HD+3D+Roadshow/2940236/index.html#anker_2940239

Thanks for the interesting article from techradar.com and the comments from vikinger - on still images without special glasses/screen  - I will check them out.

Judith

• 01-29-2010 1:21 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

This 3D is new

• 01-29-2010 5:26 PM In reply to

• Judith
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 11-05-2009
    • London
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Always interesting to read more on this subject. If you are in the UK, Broadcast Video Expo, at Earls Court 16-18 Feb will have a 3D Screening Room. The 3D glasses sound truly fascinating.. and look very er clunky. I think I will stick with the French ones I have. The author doesn't explain why one needs a "3D blu-ray player" when a Blu-ray player is perfectly fine with a Full HD Plasma TV.  

Speaking of Sky, does anyone in the UK experience problems with their B&O TV loosing half a screen of information?  I have to keep unplugging the Sky HD box (from the power) as well as the TV to restore to a full screen.  Also, the IR sticky thing keeps falling off the SkyBox.  Would SuperGlue or Araldite be too strong to secure the IR cable to the box?  I would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers. Judith

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)