in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-09-2010 5:17 PM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-27-2009 11:13 AM

Connect Beolab 6000 to non B&O receiver?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect beolab 6000 speakers to a non B&O amplifier.

The receiver is a Yamaha YSP-40D

This receiver like most receivers connects speakers by using speaker wire; it is also possible to connect to the speaker wire outputs via banana plug.

I either need a special cable (Din to speaker wire or Din to banana plug) or someother means of getting sounds through these speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

LM

• 11-27-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Connect Beolab 6000 to non B&O receiver?

Hi & welcome to BeoworldSmile

The simple thing to do is contact Steve at SoundsHeavenly . He is a long standing valued member of Beoworld & also a site sponsor (so he HAS to be good or we wouldn't allow it!). He will tell you if what you propose is possible & also supply you with any cable you need to do this. His cables are of very high quality and come highly recommended from all who have used his services.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-27-2009 10:24 PM In reply to

liamomurchu:

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect beolab 6000 speakers to a non B&O amplifier.

The receiver is a Yamaha YSP-40D

This reciever is an active surround system, with 40 small speakers, that simulates 5.1 without subwoofer. Connecting extra beolabs is not possible, if I look at the connection panel, imo.

• 11-28-2009 9:20 AM In reply to

Hi LM,

Your Yamaha YSP-40D is a "sound projector", ie. multi-channel speaker system in a box, so it appears to have no audio output connections fitted.  If you have another receiver or amplifier with either volume-controlled audio pre-out sockets or power amplifier outputs fitted, then I can supply a cable to allow connection of your Beolab 6000's, but unfurtunately your YSP-40D has no audio outputs at all. No - thumbs down Unless it also has another connection panel that is not shown in the photos that you linked?

Just in case anyone mis-reads the comment above about power amps, I should really add a "don't try this at home" warning:- Whilst you CAN connect Beolab speakers to a power amplifier using professionally built Attenuated Cables, you should NEVER try to do this with normal audio cables.  Plugging Beolab speakers into a power amp with normal cables will probably cause nasty damage to your speakers AND your ears! [:'(]

PS. Thanks for your kind words Chris!

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 11-30-2009 3:20 PM In reply to

Hi Steve and Chris,

Thank you for your feedback; this is my first sound system and forum, so need all the help that I can get.

Yes you are correct about the sound projector and its outputs.... I was thinking of gettign the Denon 2310 or Denon 1910. I guess either of these receivers would work. The technical specification of the beolab 6000 speakers are 56W per channel. The Denon 2310 and Denon 1910 have 135W and 125W per channel.

So could it be dangerous to buy any of these AV receivers with the potential of blowing the beolab 6000s?

Is there a better or more recommended AV receiver to buy in this price range?

Steve, would you still be able to supply me with the appropriate cables if I get an AV reciever of 'type above'?

Many thanks, all advice and help much appreciated.

Regards

Liam

• 11-30-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

Hi Liam,

The best option is to go for the Denon 2310, as this has RCA pre-out sockets, allowing you to drive Beolab 6000 speakers directly in Line mode (the power output of the amp does not apply in this case, as you are taking the speaker signals before the power amplifier section inside the Denon unit).

The other option would be to go for a system like the cheaper Denon 1910 (which only has passive speaker outputs) and use Attenuated Cables to safely reduce the signals to levels that the Beolab speakers can handle.  In this case, the cables can be made to match the power output of the amp that you are using, I would normally build these to match a typical input range of 30 to 120 Watts unless a customer requests otherwise.  The output from the cables is equivalent to a volume-controlled pre-out signal, which can then be fed safely into the Beolab 6000's.

The "danger" that I referred to is where people try to connect active speakers such as Beolab 6000 directly to the output terminals of a power amp with "normal" passive speaker cables - this is a good way to send a nice pair of speakers (and possibly their owner) to an early grave...... [:'(]

The Denon's both appear to be good units and they represent good value for money at the moment.  If you need any help with cables, please feel free to ask, or just click on my sponsor link below.

Kind regards,

Steve.

• 12-02-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the Denon 2310, as it has RCA pre-out sockets, allowing you to drive Beolab 6000 speakers directly in Line mode, would the beolab speakers still require their mains power supply connected?

Regarding the Denon 1910, would the Attenuated Cables have RCA on the beolab speaker end (or Din) and speaker wire (or banana plug) on the Denon end?

Do you think that there would be a huge difference in the Denon 3210 RCA to 6000 RCA than the Denon 1910 custom made cable?

Thanks again.

Regards

Liam

• 12-02-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

Do you think that there would be a huge difference in the Denon 3210 RCA to 6000 RCA than the Denon 1910 custom made cable?

What I mean here is sound and quality wise

• 12-09-2009 6:38 AM In reply to

Hi Steve,

Have you had a chance to look at the above post?

thanks

Liam

• 12-09-2009 7:27 AM In reply to

Hi Liam,

Sorry for the slow reply!  The best approach is always to use pre-outs and line cables (ie. the Denon 2310 in this case), as otherwise you will be amplifying the signal, reducing it back down and amplifying it again.  The difference in sound quality (to my ears anyway!) is almost inaudible, but you should always aim for the simplest signal path where possible.

The Attenuated Cables were intended as a solution for an "impossible" problem (ie. using Beolab speakers directly with a power amp), but they should be considered as a good workaround rather than the best approach when designing your system.

Kind regards,

Steve.

• 12-10-2009 5:28 AM In reply to

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me and all your advice. Very much appreciated.

I will see if there is an A/V receiver that has pre out that is a little cheaper than the Denon2310.

any recommendations?

thanks again

Liam

• 12-10-2009 2:11 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

In theory this works, but (at least not for me) not in the real world....

I have a DENON 3806 with pre-outs, but the speakers turning on and off with a clicking sound when the rears don't get any sound for a while in a movie, was not so nice.

Had to cope with humming noises, too.

So, if you have the equipment, do your tests, so did I, but I had to replace the nice active B&O speakers (BL8K/BL6K) with some (passive) ones.

Good luck!

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 12-10-2009 4:28 PM In reply to

I had a receiver working with the pre-out connected to the powerlink, but did a modification in the receiver. I soldered a wire to the 5V somewhere in the receiver and brought it outside next to the pre-outs. The pre-outs and the 5V goes to the powerlink. The other side of the powerlink to the Beolabs.

Receiver on/off, BL6K green/red. Even when there is no sound, and no clicking sound. Works like a charm.Smile

• 12-10-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

Hi DoubleU,

This is a good mod for someone who knows the layout of the circuitry on their own receiver, but not a universal answer for others to try to copy without proper research.  The +5v Powerlink trigger voltage needs to be taken with respect to audio ground and many receivers will not cope with their trigger outputs or certain voltage rails sinking to audio ground via an external circuit such as a Beolab speaker.

Hence, I would suggest "Don't try this at home" unless you either:-

A) Know enough about electronics to understand the circuitry inside your receiver, or

B) Have enough money to not care if your receiver goes into meltdown! Embarrassed

By the way, Ralf's situation of having Beolab speakers switching on and off during quiet periods of surround sound use is fairly common.  The addition of the Powerlink trigger voltage is the only way to resolve this, but this does not have to be taken from within the receiver.  (Good idea though!)

Kind regards,

Steve.

• 12-10-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

My guess is that the current it takes from the receiver to feed the trigger of a Beolab is not that much. (not sure though)

But of course you are right, Steve. Do not try this unless you know what you're doing!

• 12-11-2009 4:56 AM In reply to

DoubleU:

My guess is that the current it takes from the receiver to feed the trigger of a Beolab is not that much. (not sure though)

But of course you are right, Steve. Do not try this unless you know what you're doing!

In for example the Beolab 8000, the Powerlink power up signal goes first into a 33 kohm serires resistor and from there on to the base of a NPN transistor. So the current needed will be at most 5V / 33k = 0.15 mA, or practically negligible... you could power it from normal AA batteries for over a year!

But the main point still remains that don't go about connecting this and that here and there and watching what happens!

-mika

• 12-11-2009 9:37 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the advice.

Based on all the information above..... I need to get an A/V receiver with pre outs so that I can connect up the beolab 6000s.

From your experience what receiver best works with B&O?

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Liam

• 11-09-2010 9:34 AM In reply to

• rweber
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Dear Steve,

Hope you can help me on this one. At this moment I have connected 4 Beolabs 6000's to a Teufel Decoderstation 5 (5.1 pre out Dolby and DTS decoder). I don't use the RCA connectors on the Beolab's but the powerlink connectors. On the serial output of a Lintronic (TT455-RT-238) I use the two TTL 5v outputs to turn the Beolabs on and off (1 output is just enough to switch two Beolabs on and off). This works fine but the only reason I still use the Lintronic device is for switching the Beolabs on and off (not for remote control conversion).

This week I ordered a Denon AVR-3311 AV receiver with pre outs. This receiver has also two trigger out outputs of 12V/150ma. I am wondering if I could use these trigger outputs. I thought the Beolabs needs between 4 and 7 Volts tot turn on. Is 12V to much or do the Beolabs have a protection (zener/regulator) in the circuit to lower the voltage? And what about the trigger in respect to the audio ground?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Best regards,

René Weber

• 11-09-2010 9:57 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

B&O also have a cable (ref. 6270795, €28, which replaces the older ref. 6270595) in order to connect Beolabs to amplified speaker outputs. Never used this one, though: could anyone who did please advise? Thanks, js

• 11-09-2010 5:17 PM In reply to

rweber:

Dear Steve,

Hope you can help me on this one. At this moment I have connected 4 Beolabs 6000's to a Teufel Decoderstation 5 (5.1 pre out Dolby and DTS decoder). I don't use the RCA connectors on the Beolab's but the powerlink connectors. On the serial output of a Lintronic (TT455-RT-238) I use the two TTL 5v outputs to turn the Beolabs on and off (1 output is just enough to switch two Beolabs on and off). This works fine but the only reason I still use the Lintronic device is for switching the Beolabs on and off (not for remote control conversion).

This week I ordered a Denon AVR-3311 AV receiver with pre outs. This receiver has also two trigger out outputs of 12V/150ma. I am wondering if I could use these trigger outputs. I thought the Beolabs needs between 4 and 7 Volts tot turn on. Is 12V to much or do the Beolabs have a protection (zener/regulator) in the circuit to lower the voltage? And what about the trigger in respect to the audio ground?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Best regards,

René Weber

Dear Rene,

Personally, I would suggest keeping the Lintronic system (why not make use of some of its extra capabilities as well, now that it is there?).  The problem with triggering from the Denon is that the Beolabs will sink the trigger voltage to audio ground, which the Denon is not set up to deal with.  At best this may cause noise on the audio channels, at worst it could result in overheating within the amplifier (not good!) unless the output from the Denon is fully isolated (ideally via a relay or optoisolator circuit).

Please don't rely on the Beolabs for circuit protection - whilst they are excellent speakers, their electronics are surprisingly basic.....

Kind regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)