in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-31-2007 4:21 PM by GSHaigh. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2007 12:02 PM

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Media Center PC v's BeoMedia 1

Hi all

When I first learnt that BeoMedia was to be launched I was excited, however upon launch I was disapointed by the interface, speed and overall specifcations so I held off.  However with more of my music now being encoded as MP3s and becoming more and more frustrated with the lack of information provided by N.Music to either my BV7 or BS3000 I finally moved my xbox 360 to the living room and now use it as an extender to my Media Center.  I am using the Lintronics box of tricks to enable me to control the interface using my Beo4, an all works well, if a little long winded to get to my music, but I guess I only have a few more buttons to press over BeoMedia.  I am now left with the frustration of not having access to the level of detail in my link rooms.  I can still use N.Music in the link rooms.  My questions are two fold, firstly do we know if the "new" Beo5 will display N.Music info, if so this will sort out all of my issues and if so when is it due to be released and do we have an idea of price.  Secondly,  is there anyone out there doing the same as me with Media Center and if so what tips and tricks have you learnt?

Great new forum!  Thanks guys! 

Greg

• 04-16-2007 12:22 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Media Center PC v's BeoMedia 1

From what I've heard, the Beo5 isn't two-way, but does offer several other control enhancements over the Beo4, such as being able to control other link rooms.

As for controlling your Media Center in different link rooms, I may be wrong, but also possibly right in saying you could use an STB controller along with the lintronic box to convert the codes for <type X> freeview box into the Media Center's commands. This would mean the BeoVision would think it has a Sky/Freeview box connected, allowing you to access it from other rooms.

Might work, might not. Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-16-2007 4:58 PM In reply to

I too use Lintronic to control my mp3 server in the main room. I do not have a solution for display information in link rooms, I also find this frustrating. However, I am able to control the server from link rooms by using x-10 commands that are translated via Lintronic.
  • 04-16-2007 6:13 PM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Alex

Thanks for the reply.  I see what you're saying..... tell my BV7 it has a STB the same port as the Media Centre / XBox and then get the Lintronic unit to convert those codes to Media Center codes.  Clever!  This would at least allow control in a link room where there is a TV set.  I'll have a play and let you know.

Thanks

• 04-16-2007 6:16 PM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Peria

Again, clever.  I hadn't thought of using and X-10 trigger to create an IR action.

I think I'll have to stick to N.Music in the link rooms for now.

Greg

• 04-19-2007 4:51 PM In reply to

Mac Mini and BM-Link could be an answer! Lots of info and will use MP3 format - I have over 70Gb now!
  • 04-20-2007 9:05 AM In reply to

• francis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Münster, Germany
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi Greg,

I can't comment on Beo5 but regarding digital music I am sharing your experiences and frustrations.

Finally, I decided to go for a Mac Mini. The Mac is located totally out of sight on top of my BV7 wall bracket, and browsing trough GBs of MP3s with Itunes' coverflow or Front Row is totally amazing. In addition I have acccess to all my digital fotos, displayed in brilliant quality on my BV, not to forget the option to browse the net in my living room with BV as a computer monitor.

The only downside is that I currently have to work with two remotes (what I of course allways tried to avoid). But this issue could hopefully be resolved by the new version of BM-link together with my Beoport (see correponding link in the Mac-Beo section of the forum). I hope I will find some time to find out this weekend.

francis

|BV 7-32|BL 7-1|Ouverture|BL Penta|BL 6000|BL 2000|Beocom 6000|Beotalk 1200|MX 4000|Beoport|Beo4|Beo5|A8|A9|

• 04-20-2007 11:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's a shame that CoverFlow isn't intergrated into FrontRow, they really missed something there, as it's almost there. Apple introduced full screen CoverFlow with the latest major iTunes update, and they could have added it into FrontRow with remote control capabilities pretty easily...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-30-2007 6:02 AM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

I finally bit the bullet,  I have bought BeoMedia 1.  Not plugged it all in yet, got that job set aside for this evening.  I'll let you know how I get on.

For a couple of the link rooms I have bought Roku SoundBridge M1001.  I'll probably ditch the BeoLink Passive and put another amp in there that allows me to connect the Roku to it, unless anyone has a bright idea?

Greg

• 05-31-2007 4:21 PM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Beomedia installed and music / photos copied on.  One slight hic-up,  I need to swap my Sky HD box on to component HD,  xbox on to SCART,  and drop some more cables in the wall.  I'll post photos when complete in a week or so.  I'll let you know how I get on with the functionality too.  SO far I think Album art would be a nice addition.

Greg

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)