in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-19-2009 3:20 PM by vikinger. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2009 7:17 PM

Obscure references to B&O

How about a thread covering references to B&O just where you wouldn't expect to find any? (Generally, not adverts or press product reports.)

Here's one for starters [Link] and another

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-24-2009 7:50 PM In reply to

Re: Obscure references to B&O

Graham my friend, you have a serious case of that B&O disorder I hear so much about.  I must admit, I  read thru the links to find the B&O references and felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I saw those two magic words.  Funny thing is, I'm not looking for a cure.Big Smile    Thanks!

• 11-25-2009 6:55 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 11-25-2009 6:59 AM In reply to

R Patton:

Graham my friend, you have a serious case of that B&O disorder I hear so much about.  I must admit, I  read thru the links to find the B&O references and felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I saw those two magic words.  Funny thing is, I'm not looking for a cure.Big Smile    Thanks!

Since posting the original, I have found that it is in fact incredibly difficult to find references on the web that aren't advert related, although I've still got some at the back of my mind including the infamous Gerald Kaufman MP expenses claim. Maybe Lee should run a competition for finding B&O references in literature!Big Smile

Graham

• 11-25-2009 7:45 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

vikinger:

How about a thread covering references to B&O just where you wouldn't expect to find any? (Generally, not adverts or press product reports.)

Here's one for starters [Link] and another

Graham

Sarkozy is quiet for a while. Dr Siemens could be a compromise candidate, he says. And Herr Grundig has been a staunch supporter of the euro from the start.

“This is absurd,” I tell him. “Even you can’t remember what these people are called. You’re plainly just staring around your living room, picking names at random.”

Bang and Olufsen are also both very promising, he says.

Brilliant!

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 11-25-2009 8:00 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Those links both made me chuckle!

Durban South Africa

• 11-25-2009 1:30 PM In reply to

Stonk:

Thanks Stonk! Brilliant product placement of the B&O cardboard box!Big Smile

• 11-25-2009 8:59 PM In reply to

I don't know how to quote it (I don't think entire texts of books are generally available online), but in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (round about 3rd or 4th chapter), Dawkins is discussing sense organs and their interaction with the brain and he says (I'm paraphrasing) "sounds aren't delivered directly as if by Bang & Olufsen..."

I tend to think that prominent Athiests have an affection for B&O as Christopher Hitchens also has a BeoSound 3200 in his Washington apartment. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-26-2009 5:26 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

I don't know how to quote it (I don't think entire texts of books are generally available online), but in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (round about 3rd or 4th chapter), Dawkins is discussing sense organs and their interaction with the brain and he says (I'm paraphrasing) "sounds aren't delivered directly as if by Bang & Olufsen..."

I tend to think that prominent Athiests have an affection for B&O as Christopher Hitchens also has a BeoSound 3200 in his Washington apartment. 

Well done Trip. The reference is here

Also found on a related site:

Re: Do Most Atheists Condone These Vicious Tactics

Postby Netochka Nietzky » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:46 pm

system wrote:Image

They will shudder at the impact of our worldwide boycott of Lego and Bang & Olufsen.

• 11-26-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

B&O must have more brand recognition on your side of the pond.  

I just can't fathom U.S. print pop media dropping the reference and average joes getting it.  Sure, BeoCom 2 makes an appearance in The Devil Wears Prada but as the audience is unlikely to appreciate the point, the character states the price, which totally ruins the scene.

Excellent links.  The Blair one is a riot.

• 11-26-2009 9:07 AM In reply to

vikinger:

They will shudder at the impact of our worldwide boycott of Lego and Bang & Olufsen.

Smile He he!  Yes, I remember the declared boycott on Danish products.  Boy is that an obscure reference.  As there are so few Danish products in my area, it took some effort to find and purchase Carlsberg beer and Danish cheese that week.

• 11-27-2009 4:01 PM In reply to

The Winner Stands Alone

Javits had equipped his new toy, which cost around 40 million dollars, with two beds, a conference table, a shower, a Miranda sound system (Bang & Olufsen had an excellent design and a good PR campaign, but they were now a thing of the past), two coffee machines, a microwave oven for the crew and an electric oven for him (because he’s hates re-heated food). Javits only drinks champagne, and whoever wishes to was more than welcome to share a bottle of Moët & Chandon 1961 with him. However, the ‘cellar’ on the plane had every drink any guest might conceivably want. And then there were the two 21-inch LCD screens ready to show the most recent films, even those that hadn’t yet made it into the cinemas.

• 12-19-2009 3:20 PM In reply to

Would a Sony Bravia TV be paired with a B&O sound system as in this NY Times quoted Guardian piece? (Go to the original and see how NYT has  carefully left out the wet nickers bit, (not to mention Cockermouth, and Joseph and Marys' hotel booking)).

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)