in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-26-2009 12:05 PM by Graham1982. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2009 4:32 AM

An electronics project

Hi all:

I was wondering if anyone with any electroincs knowledge would be able to help. I have an interest in electroincs yet since my GCSE days I have not touched a soldering iron. I would like a hobby - something to do in the evenings and therefore I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I could build as a project.

I guess that as a teacher I could go to the D&T department and get the boards made up without too many problems. I could also buy kits from Maplins. However, I think if I bought one of these I would be building something for the sake of it as opposed to building something I could make use of.

I am not confident enough to start building my own power supplies etc so low voltage stuff would be best. I was thinking something using infa red - perhaps a remote light dimmer or something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graham

• 11-24-2009 7:04 AM In reply to

Re: An electronics project

How about somehow inserting a CDX into a Beocord 8000 type case so it matches the 6000 and 8000 system. If you could do that then I am sure you would have many people wanting you to build one for them.

• 11-24-2009 7:23 AM In reply to

Graham,

There have been various threads on here about modifying older products - adding MP3 docks, CD's, DVD, new screens etc.....all interesting stuff.

So, if you would like an Avant 28" VCR, curved screen version in silver to tinker with, then its all yours, FOC just come and get it.

Loads pf potential mods to one of these - from using the stand/wall and speakers with a new flat panel ( there is a thread somewhere I think) , to adding built in DVD/SKY/PVR/whatever  into  the old VCR void - or maybe using the beolab speakers & amps for something....

Please note there are potentially lethal voltages in most consumer electronics - particulalry TV's - so King STreet is in no way advocating you do any of the above - and offering you an Avant does not imply its OK/safe to do so without carefully considering health and safety aspects, and suitable taking advice.   Fortunately this site has loads of sources for technical hints & tips....so if its of interest, its all yours.

David

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 11-24-2009 8:17 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Do you play guitar??

Guitar stomp boxes are ideal starter projects - powered from a PP3 or a 9V wall wart, they can do interesting stuff and you can't hurt yourself (other than with the soldering iron, obviously)Stick out tongue

Either that or playing with Microchip Pics (microcontrollers). Easy to learn, and basic development system is either free or at least cheap. Could be used to convert IR codes from one type to another, as an example.

I too would recommend steering well clear of tellies - they're for big boys only!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-25-2009 2:47 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Any thoughts yet Graham?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-25-2009 3:13 PM In reply to

If I had the time I would have stripped my old 80's beocord 5500 of its interior and build my mac mini media center and hard drive into it... also a little dac and an irtrans. 

I have since sold the 5500 system and moved up to a 7000 system with a fully functional tape deck, needless to say I never got to it.
    Now it's just a jumble mess of wires connection all the seperate items which, though hidden, bugs me.

Would love to do it if I ever found a cheap beocord 6500 or 7000 to make it match the rest of my system.

Maybe an idea for you ? ... 

• 11-25-2009 4:25 PM In reply to

KingStreet:

Graham,

There have been various threads on here about modifying older products - adding MP3 docks, CD's, DVD, new screens etc.....all interesting stuff.

So, if you would like an Avant 28" VCR, curved screen version in silver to tinker with, then its all yours, FOC just come and get it.

Loads pf potential mods to one of these - from using the stand/wall and speakers with a new flat panel ( there is a thread somewhere I think) , to adding built in DVD/SKY/PVR/whatever  into  the old VCR void - or maybe using the beolab speakers & amps for something....

Please note there are potentially lethal voltages in most consumer electronics - particulalry TV's - so King STreet is in no way advocating you do any of the above - and offering you an Avant does not imply its OK/safe to do so without carefully considering health and safety aspects, and suitable taking advice.   Fortunately this site has loads of sources for technical hints & tips....so if its of interest, its all yours.

David

David

I am pretty sure that Graham already has a 28"  Avant VCR, but if you are looking to free up the space it is curerently occupying I would be happy to help.....Stick out tongue

Simon

• 11-25-2009 5:44 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

On ebay I see all this MX/LX/Avants going for nothing (or even worse not going at all). They have all the components for a link speaker set up, beolink passive and beolink active (ML or audio aux link, speakers, power link, external speakers sockets and remote sensor).

If I had the skills I would try to build something like this.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 11-26-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

Hi:

I like the idea of the CDX/V6000 project and think this is something I could do. That said aren't CDXs relatively expensive? If anyone has a broken one that still works in terms of the eject mechanism I would be happy to mess around with it.

The kind offer of an Avant isn't practical - I would be so anxious/cautious not to blow myself up that I wouldn't enjoy what I am actually doing!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)