in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-25-2009 7:43 PM by Calvin. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-23-2009 10:07 AM

CD player production ends at Linn

CD player production ends at Linn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8368895.stm

• 11-23-2009 7:40 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Re: CD player production ends at Linn

I always thought that if I did have outrageous amounts of money I'd be unsure which to buy.  B&O is better looking but then Linn is top quality sound, if you can afford it.  A friend of mine actually worked for them briefly over a summer.  If you're spending that kind of money though then you want the 'dream system' and to be honest, Linn have it right in this case.  A dream system for me would be digital, access to all my music, preferably with a visual 2-way remote.  Certainly it wouldn't be CD and the only thing albums have going are the arwork which is the reason I go for LPs as my medium of choice.

• 11-23-2009 10:05 PM In reply to

I guess it's time to get real. In NYC, both Virgin Stores closed. I found some releases, i.e. the new Joss Stone Album not available on CD at Amazon but in Itunes.

What frustrates me is, that neither Itunes or Amazon offer high quality downloads.  I haven't tried Itunes plus to be honest and I know there are other sources for high quality downloads but when it comes to consistent besides mainstream I am not sure where to go.

I think B&O has something with the BS5, yet for me it's not there yet and I am not sure if they have the firepower right now to get that product to the next level or maybe even turn it into a product line.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 11-23-2009 10:47 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

jk1002:

What frustrates me is, that neither Itunes or Amazon offer high quality downloads.  I haven't tried Itunes plus to be honest and I know there are other sources for high quality downloads but when it comes to consistent besides mainstream I am not sure where to go. 

Really?  I think iTunes downloads are excellent and are by far better than Amazon.  iTunes gives AAC files which can then be changed to Apple Lossless.  I don't think I'll ever be a total download convert because I like having the tangible product in my hand - be it a vinyl album or a CD.

MP3s <from Amazon> sound like cassette tapes.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

• 11-24-2009 3:13 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Kevin:

jk1002:

Really?  I think iTunes downloads are excellent and are by far better than Amazon.  iTunes gives AAC files which can then be changed to Apple Lossless.  I don't think I'll ever be a total download convert because I like having the tangible product in my hand - be it a vinyl album or a CD.

MP3s <from Amazon> sound like cassette tapes.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

At lower bite rates (128Kbps) I think aac are definitely superior, at higher bit rates (256Kbps and above) I can't really tell a difference between aac and Mp3). I believe all Amazon are 256Kbps MP3 and most iTunes are 256Kbps aac.

Both could be converted to apple "lossless" although there is no point, you have made a much larger file with the same sound quality - to be truly lossless you need to rip direct from the CD or download in lossless (or better) format, not something available from iTunes or Amazon, although you can from Linn and others.

Regarding ending CD player production - this may well be the thin end of the wedge but to qualify it slightly, Linn are now in the business of selling HD audio downloads, anything they can do to convert their customers to the new format (and buy new HD audio reproduction equipment etc) will be to their immediate benefit. No doubt others will eventually follow but I think, in this case, there is slightly more to it than the impending doom of the conventional CD, and others may take slightly longer to follow.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-24-2009 3:14 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Woops - I have one of the mysterious "Posts sent for Moderation"!

Edit: Thanks LEE - certainly on the ball there!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-24-2009 3:19 AM In reply to

i've never rated linn , their gear is hideously ugly , over priced , under specced and over rated

honestly some of their speakers have to be seen to be believed , it's like they won a design a speaker that looks as awful as possible competition

and the boring little boxes with that awful remote control

popgear is grate™

• 11-24-2009 3:23 AM In reply to

exc value too....NOT

http://www.linn.co.uk/klimax_movie_system

only £82K  !!!!

and they call bno expensive...

popgear is grate™

• 11-24-2009 6:44 AM In reply to

I have hardly any digital music. I'm feeling old fashioned right now. Sad

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-24-2009 7:24 PM In reply to

They could never spell things correctly anyway.......

• 11-24-2009 8:09 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

So how long until B&O's suppliers stop production of their CD mech's?  I would think its not long if the manufactures see profit in other items.  The units must be low?

• 11-25-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

Calvin:

I always thought that if I did have outrageous amounts of money I'd be unsure which to buy.  B&O is better looking but then Linn is top quality sound, if you can afford it.  A friend of mine actually worked for them briefly over a summer.  If you're spending that kind of money though then you want the 'dream system' and to be honest, Linn have it right in this case.  A dream system for me would be digital, access to all my music, preferably with a visual 2-way remote.  Certainly it wouldn't be CD and the only thing albums have going are the arwork which is the reason I go for LPs as my medium of choice.

I would still opt for B&O as design is an important and decisive factor for me.
    Also I still have (and use often) my beogram record deck and the other day I was going through some of my record collection just enjoying some of the artwork.

I like some of the artwork so much that I plan to display 12 or so album covers permanently on a wall in my office as a piece of art. I think that would look good and at least be a conversation piece.

• 11-25-2009 9:32 AM In reply to

So,if downloads are the future of music,will Linn be ceasing production of the even more outmoded Sondek LP12?

• 11-25-2009 12:56 PM In reply to

Mr10Percent:

They could never spell things correctly anyway.......

Laughing

Honestly I think linn is among the ugliest stuff out there. No it doesn't ring my bell...

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-25-2009 7:43 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

I suppose that I was more making the point that the market is moving towards lossless digital and Linn have seen it.  B&O is a bit different, we're more aesthetic, we appreciate design and craftsmanship in a product, whether it is a tangible album or a nice piece of reproduction equipment

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)