in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2009 10:12 AM by burantek. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2009 2:39 PM

Beovox Uniphase S45's vs S45.2's

Recently purchased (courtesy of Beoworlder Richtoy on eBay) a pair of white S45's (early Uniphase 3 speaker type). They are now hooked up to my Beomaster 2000 (refurbished by Martin (Dillen)) and the result is visually and audibly outstanding!

Still trying to make my mind up whether they need a recap because they sound so good, yet must be more than 30 years old. The woofers have rubber rather than foam surrounds. (Haven't looked inside the cabinets yet....... they may have already been re-capped for all I know!)

A lot of posts suggest that the S45.2 is one of the speakers of choice from this era, but is there any real difference between the S45's and S45.2 speakers? The S45.2's have a plain mdf back with screw holes for the floor stands, whereas the S45's have a shaped resin back enabling them to be low mounted on the wall with the woofer inclined slightly upwards (which is how I have mounted them). If you don't have the stands the S45.2's don't look as good a choice to me........... but do they have some other superior quality????

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-21-2009 4:22 PM In reply to

Re: Beovox Uniphase S45's vs S45.2's

I don't know the difference either. I got a lovely pair bought in 1979 by a family member. They still sound and look great.

You can actually hang S45-2 with the 6014 wall brackets if you do not have any original stands.

A few weeks ago I was not aware of that. 2 times a year there is a big marked in my town and I saw those 6014 brackets but went on as it was not untill I read the instructions for Beovox S120 which said that 6014 could be used. I got floorstands for those I got but for future use I went and got the wall brackets. 2 packets 6014 and a Beomaster 1900-2 for about 32£. The instructions says Beovox S45-2 can also be used. Great as my S45-2 never had stands and I've planned on using them as link speakers somehow.

Each packet have to metal plates, 2 pairs of screws each (2 ways to mount) for mounting and a screw for how much you tip the speaker.

• 11-21-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

Very similar speakers and both sound good. The family of speakers changed a little - the bigger S60 became the S75 because the Beomaster 4000 was replaced by the Beomaster 4400 so a higher rating for power handling was required. The backs of the speakers changed from a resin back to a vinyl covered wood back and an extra bit of metal trim was added. I believe the drive units changed slightly - I am sure Martin will confirm if true. Both are well worth having.

• 11-21-2009 5:51 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

It's correct that the main difference is that Beovox S45.2 has a flat wooden backside
    but it also has a different tweeter from the S45.
    Actually, the tweeter seems to have been changed at some point during production
    of the S45 since I've seen S45 with both types of tweeters, requiring a completely
    different casting of the composite baffle board.
    According to my own notes, the tweeter change seems to have taken place
    somewhere between serial numbers 1416000 and 1514000.
    The tweeter was changed again during production of the S45.2 but personally, despite
    the above mentioned differences, I cannot hear any significant
    difference from S45 (6302) to S45.2 (6312) in any version.
    Both are clearly superior to the later S45 (6427), though.
    Best results are achieved if placing them in ear height. Many owners tend to place
    B&O speakers too high.

Martin

• 11-22-2009 8:33 PM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

My s45-2`s bought over 25 years ago still are fine . Lovely sound. And i loved the popping overload fuses.

I had mine for some time on ear level and also for some time at ceiling height with incline downwards. The latter was obvious not the greatest sound setting but was due to some space issues. I just bought some regurlar base stand equipment and screwd it on the back. And wall mounted them. Never had a problem with it.

Although I think the original stands looks the part

• 11-23-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Beovox S45-2 does not have overload fuses.
    The popping overload fuses were introduced with the revised Uniphase models so yours
    will have to be the Beovox S45 type 6427.
    Or Beovox S50/S55/S80, I don't remember if the smaller models had the fuses at all.

Martin

• 11-23-2009 9:06 AM In reply to

Dillen:

The popping overload fuses were introduced with the revised Uniphase models so yours
    Or Beovox S50/S55/S80, I don't remember if the smaller models had the fuses at all.

Martin

Looking through the pictures over here and at Beocentral, it seems to me that S50 would be the smallest speaker of this series that is often advertised as "Beovox Overload" Laughing

...while S55 suprisingly doesn't have them, S80(.2) again does.

-mika

• 11-23-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

Dillen:
    Best results are achieved if placing them in ear height.

Absolutely right, and my quest for a pair of 6013 pedestal stands continues!  I have been looking for a pair for over a year now to do full justice to my beautiful Rosewood S45.2s.

Cleve

• 11-23-2009 6:05 PM In reply to

Well, most of you know how I feel about single fret S45's... Yes -  thumbs up

Cleviebaby:

Dillen:
    Best results are achieved if placing them in ear height.

Absolutely right, and my quest for a pair of 6013 pedestal stands continues!  I have been looking for a pair for over a year now to do full justice to my beautiful Rosewood S45.2s.

Cleve

Cleve,

I am aware from previous posts that you have been hunting for some S45 stands... I would have posted to you earlier, but I thought you would have found a pair in the UK by now.

I THINK that I MIGHT (need to check just what I have) have a pair or two if you are interested in shipping from the states ...not sure what that might cost???

If you are, I will try to unearth them and give you a better description/pics if you like.

I will happily offer them to you for free to perpetuate the BeoWorld brotherly generosity so often found here.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-24-2009 1:23 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Hi Graham,

Those early S45's are IMHO the best sounding Uniphase speakers.

Here's a Workshop I did in restoring them, with new caps.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/5584/40478.aspx

The sound is pretty good before the restore, but afterwards, it's like sitting in the middle of the stage, with perfect hearing!

Go for it!

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 11-24-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

burantek:

Cleve,

I am aware from previous posts that you have been hunting for some S45 stands... I would have posted to you earlier, but I thought you would have found a pair in the UK by now.

I THINK that I MIGHT (need to check just what I have) have a pair or two if you are interested in shipping from the states ...not sure what that might cost???

If you are, I will try to unearth them and give you a better description/pics if you like.

I will happily offer them to you for free to perpetuate the BeoWorld brotherly generosity so often found here.

Jaff,

You have a PM

Cleve

• 11-24-2009 5:36 PM In reply to

yachadm:

Hi Graham,

Those early S45's are IMHO the best sounding Uniphase speakers.

Here's a Workshop I did in restoring them, with new caps.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/5584/40478.aspx

The sound is pretty good before the restore, but afterwards, it's like sitting in the middle of the stage, with perfect hearing!

Go for it!

Menahem

Guess you've convinced me Menahem! Martin (Dillen) will be getting a kit order. I also need to recap my BV2600's. I may do them first (lots more space to practice in!) I'll be following your workshop....... thanks for the link. Smile

Graham

• 11-25-2009 5:24 AM In reply to

Graham

I have a pair of S45-2's that I am not currently using that sound identical to my recapped ones that I use every day. (There was a clear difference prior to recapping). If you would like to borrow them for some A:B comparisons you would be welcome . That said Martin's capacitor kits are not expensive so you may wish to recap anyway!

Simon

• 11-25-2009 6:07 AM In reply to

wirralsimon:

Graham

I have a pair of S45-2's that I am not currently using that sound identical to my recapped ones that I use every day. (There was a clear difference prior to recapping). If you would like to borrow them for some A:B comparisons you would be welcome . That said Martin's capacitor kits are not expensive so you may wish to recap anyway!

Simon

Thanks for the offer Simon.

At the moment I seem to be swamped with vintage B&O ... (not going down too well with SWMBO!)...... so I'll not take you up on it for the moment.

Once my BV2600's are done I'll be able to connect all equipment to them as necessary whilst I get the S45's sorted out. (The BM2000 that's currently playing (mainly FM radio) into the S45's sounds pretty amazing. Much cleaner sound (and silences!) than my BM1200 (which clearly needs the Martin/Dillen treatment!))Smile

Graham

• 11-25-2009 9:27 AM In reply to

Cleviebaby:

Jaff,

You have a PM

Cleve

No PM/email yet...

I'll send you one...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-26-2009 7:10 AM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

Dillen:

Martin

Ok thanks for that pointer, I might be mistaken. Cause im looking at a manual from a s50 here.

• 12-05-2009 10:12 AM In reply to

burantek:

No PM/email yet...

I'll send you one...

Cleve,

I have pics to send you RE: stands. Big Smile

I have also sent a PM/email.

Regards,

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)