in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-27-2009 6:08 AM by deaddruid. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-20-2009 12:46 PM

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Avant sound to BeoPort

I have connected an Avant and BeoPort by MasterLink. Using a Beo4 from the Avant, I can access the N.MUSIC, CD and VCD on the BeoPort PC. However, I would like to access Avant audio from the BeoPort. As far as I can tell, this is only possible if I add a TV tuner card to the PC!

I want the audio from the Avant, because it has an STB-C and satellite digibox. Therefore, I am trying to access the vast number of radio channels on the digibox, so I can play them in the room with the BeoPort.

Any ideas? It seems silly to have to add a tuner to access the TV.

Mark

Filed under: ,
  • 11-20-2009 2:19 PM In reply to

Re: Avant sound to BeoPort

Hi, if you have no audio master, you won't be able to access the video sources from the Avant on BeoPort, even with a tuner card, it won't change anything. If you want to do it, you have to change the option on the Avant, but will then lose the remote control possibility. With BeoPort in option 2, the video sources won't work, they will be accessible in option 6 but you will lose the BeoPort remote control on your Avant..I tried that several times because I had the same setup, but I didn't really care because I had no need for video source sound in link rooms.

Good news is: you won't need a tuner.

Bad news is: you'll need an audio masterSurprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-20-2009 6:32 PM In reply to

Hi, You could use the Beoport as a  audio Master (op 2) I think! In earlier Beoport software there was a AV button to click on the PC screen so for example I could press AV-VAUX therefore getting your stb tone from your Avant without a Tuner, like you can do with a link B2000 again AV-VAUX.

I am pretty sure this works with a bit of patience

Regards D.C

• 11-22-2009 4:51 PM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

I had both Avant and BeoPort set to Option 2, and the BoPort set to "Main PC". The Avant could access the BeoPort sources, so  assume this means that the BeoPort was acting as an Audio Master. However, it doesn't give me an AV button on the screen :( I can't see a useful feature like this being withdrawn, so I assume it's a configuration or software version issue.

Mark

• 11-22-2009 5:39 PM In reply to

Click on Setup and the sources and add the video sources to the default sources...

• 11-23-2009 4:33 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

The video sources do not appear on Setup->Sources. All that I find there are the original four BeoPort sources - N.MUSIC, N.RADIO, PC CD, PHOTO. Do I have to do someting to tell the Avant that it is the Video Master, rether than a mere slave?

Mark

• 11-23-2009 5:35 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Mark.
    I occasionally get the problem of just having those 4 sources. The way I get it back, is by clicking on Beoport.exe
    This gives the option to 'repair'
    You will need your username every time. If you don't register, you don't get all the N Radio stations.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-25-2009 4:27 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Thank you for the idea, Andy. I gave a Repair a try, but it seems to have made no difference. I've now tried the BeoPort against two Avants (both curved screen) and in each case, the Avant can access the N.MUSIC and CD on the PC, but the BeoPort does not provide any TV sources under Configure->Sources. BeoPort and Avant were both set to Option 2.

If it makes any difference, I do not have BeoLabs connected to the BeoPort - it has a headphone socket, which is all I should need, for now.

Do the BeoPort and/or Avant have debug modes, where communication across the MasterLink databus can be monitored? If I could see the messages being exchanged, I might be able to work out what's going on.

Alternatively, is it possible that the BeoPort will only access TV sources on an RF or DVD Avant?

Mark

• 11-25-2009 5:24 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I have the curved  32" VCR Avant, connected to BeoPort via Masterlink and coax, and can access all video sources (except the camcorder input) on my PC. I cannot access N Radio or N Music on my Avant, as I have my Beosystem 7000 as the Audio Master.
    Beoport version is 4.65. I'm on Windows XP+SP2.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-25-2009 7:23 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Interesting.

I'm also on Windows XP+SP2, but with BeoPort 5.03.00.0147 (the latest). However, Chris did comment about needing an Audio Master other than the BeoPort in order to access the TV services. This would coincide with your configuration. Of course it would also suggest both that the BeoPort is only a partial Audio Master and that an Audio Master is more than just a supplier of audio "data".

Mark

• 11-25-2009 10:38 AM In reply to

Of course I'm right Mark, I had this setup for years..Big Smile

BeoPort can only act as audio master in a standalone setup. When you have no other audio master you must choose between full NMUSIC/NRADIO control on your BeoVision, or full video (Avant) use on your BeoPort; you can't get both working 100%. B&O have always been clear about this, saying that an audio master was needed to make BeoPort work completely. If you don't want to buy an audio master, or don't need one, then BeoMaster 5 might be a good option, as this one can work as a full audio master.

• 11-26-2009 11:19 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Thank you Chris - sorry to doubt you - I just find it hard to understand why the BeoPort should be half-baked. If it can access the Avant in Option 6, and serve to the Avant in Option 2, then surely it has the capability to do the whole job!

Can you explain how all this works? As far as I understood it, each Masterlink network could have at most one audio master, and one video master. To be more precise, that there could only be one source of distributed audio, and one source of distributed video+associated audio.

Yet this model does not fit with the functionality you describe. In a system with a full audio master, is the BeoPort a slave to the audio master (i.e., controlled by it) and is otherwise configured as a link room device? Otherwise, how would it add the functionality I want?

On reflection, the cheapest way to do what I want (N.MUSIC to the Avant, Avant DTV audio to the room with the PC) is to put an MX TV + BeoLink Video into the room with the PC. This is presuming I can't use the BeoMaster 5500 as an audio master, and from what I've read, it would mask the N.MUSIC :(

Mark

• 11-26-2009 12:39 PM In reply to

The Beolink PC 2 box has the capability as the Mac version of the software I am developing can do it just fine. Not sure why the PC version of the software can't...

• 11-27-2009 4:01 AM In reply to

BeoPort is not an audio master, otherwise B&O would not sell any BeoSounds anymore I thinkBig Smile The only PC audio master is BeoMaster 5, not even BeoMedia can act as an audio master.

B&O have always requested an audio master to be present to make the system fully operational, which I personally don't understand, because for me NMUSIC/NRADIO and PC CD are more than enough as audio sources, and therefore there's no need for an audio master when using BeoPort . B&O don't think like this, unfortunately.

If you want only audio from your video sources, why not use a wireless audio transmitter? If you want full audio-video-data control, then I don't see a solution, I tried it for years and couldn't come out with an idea.

I eventually bought a second-hand BeoCenter 2 for a link room (to replace a BV3), that I connected to my BeoVision & BeoPort and now all works fine!

• 11-27-2009 4:31 AM In reply to

If you set Beoport in Option 2, it is a perfectly capable AudioMaster.

You can call N.MUSIC, N.RADIO and CD from the TV and link rooms just fine.

What you can't do is call the TV from the Beoport itself.

• 11-27-2009 6:08 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

But why?

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)