in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-09-2009 11:20 PM by XavierItzmann. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2009 1:15 PM

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Has the economic crisis changed your B&O spending habets?

The economic crisis seems be be with us for much longer then first expected. Most of us here, including myself, love the products from that little company in Denmark. Nevertheless their products don't come cheap, new or used. Has the crisis changed your B&O plans? Are you buying used products instead of new? Have you stopped buying altogether or are you still on a B&O spending spree?
  • 11-19-2009 1:22 PM In reply to

Re: Has the economic crisis changed your B&O spending habets?

No not at all..!! Smile

/Uldall

BS 3500, BL 8000, BL 6000, BL 4000ice, BL2000, BL3, BL2, CX100, CX50, Cona, MCL/ML, BPC2, MX7000, MX4000, Beotime, Beo5, Beo4, Beo4cinema, Beo1, Beo1000, A8.

• 11-19-2009 2:11 PM In reply to

I'm not on a B&O spending spree and never have been. I pretty much enjoy what I have right now. I will replace my Beovision MX 7000 with a Beovision 10 at some point in the future, though.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-19-2009 2:35 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Well yes. Being jobless puts a break on your size of disposable income

• 11-19-2009 3:04 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

I've been much more consious on what I spend money. The last few years many people were spending without really knowing where their money went. One of the reasons that I have bought B&O is the expected durability and the fact that products can be repaired long after purchase.

• 11-19-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

benjnz:

yes

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-19-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

benjnz:

Returning to study has arrested my spending completely, and that was a conscious choice, so I hope things get sorted for you soon. I had heard that the impact of the slowdown hadn't really affected Australia too much (though I will stand corrected on this), but wasn't aware of the impact in NZ. We don't really hear much from that part of the world in the UK news any more...

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-19-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

It's not the economic climate that has slowed down my Beo spending, it's the Beo prices...

Still I haven't bought any beo for 6 months now, and I don't see any being bought for the coming 6 months either. 

Spending my Beo money on watches for the moment! To Punchers delight. Laughing

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-19-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

well, let's see.. 

last year i bought a set of bl 5s, bl 3s, a bv9 and some miscellaneous items. . 

this year i bought a beo 5

I have curtailed my shopping somewhat

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 11-19-2009 4:54 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

I am b&o free for few years like to come back to product again but not enticed yet ?? so spending my money on cars bought two cars Whistle

• 11-19-2009 7:27 PM In reply to

Definately! I'm not impressed with materialistic things anymore. I read about them with interest but they don't excite me anymore. I kind of lost faith in Bang and Olufsen when I baught a DVD1 player and relealised what a load of rubbish it was for a machine that cost 15 times more than a Sony DVD player - which was more reliable too!

I think the price of the BeoVision 7 is totally rediculous   just not impressed with their silly silly prices anymore - I think they are going too bling bling now and a lot of my friends find B&O rather vulgar now

• 11-19-2009 9:28 PM In reply to

Similar as mjmedlo I bought a lot over the last years and have more then I need at this point. 

Would I defer purchases if I would not have everything I need? Probably yes.

I feel this is a good time to buy stocks and I have to work much harder for my money right now and am not sure how long I want to keep up with it if it doesn't turn around.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 11-19-2009 9:28 PM In reply to

I have the following equipment in everyday use:-

Beolab 5           (2004)

Beolab 3           (2004)

Beovision 7-40   (2006)

Beolab 7-2         (2006)

Beo5                 (2007)

BeoSound 5      (2009)

In essence, I think it is a pretty nice set-up and looks as good today as the day it was bought. The current economic climate has not curtailed my B&O spending but I just don’t see the need to upgrade every piece of equipment every two minutes. I also think the residuals on trading B&O equipment are not what they once were. My current equipment should be perfectly serviceable for many years to come and perhaps there will be an upgrade to the TV when something comes out that justifies the replacement of the 7-40.

In the meantime, Aston seems to be doing a better job of making me skint.

10%

• 11-20-2009 3:04 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    I had heard that the impact of the slowdown hadn't really affected Australia too much (though I will stand corrected on this), but wasn't aware of the impact in NZ.

I think that the impact in Oz is varied; full time employment fell, but part time employment surged.

There is no doubt that China's demand for resources has carried us through ... without the Chinese economy we would be suffering across the board.  Unfortunately the government's stimulus package passed me by, and in any case it might have only gotten me a BeoTime ....

I think our cousins across the way who lived under a long white cloud have seen it turn grey ... but maybe BenJ can better explain

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-20-2009 3:20 AM In reply to

I have BV7 32'', BL8000, BL 9000, BL2, BS2 and Serenata and will not buy new product for a long time. B&O prices rise from year to year but salary stay the same or goes even down as many enterprises cut money to get trough the crisis.

For me real B&O products are BV7, BV9, BV4 and BS9000,BS5 and BL8000, BL5

everything else is not worth the money they demand.

In the future I might consider second hand BV7 40'' MKIII but this will be after 2010.

I am not buying new stuff as prices fall quickly.

• 11-20-2009 9:48 AM In reply to

Personally I spent more on B&O this year than I did the previous 3 years combined. Though I didn't buy any new big ticket items.
    I want to enjoy building my B&O system one bit at a time and don't want to fill up the whole house in one year. It gives me something to look forward to, plan and save up for. Constantly upgrading bits at a time gives me great satisfaction and always something new to play with.  

It's indeed true that B&O's pricing is getting to the point of beyond reach for most of us.Beovision 7 or 9 pricing has frankly become unrealistic,  ..... no matter how good the image/sound/design/capabilities are.  They'll just end up being outdated in a year or two. The cost and hassle of changing the panel every 2 to 3 years is just not justified.

I do like the (with less bells and whistles) BV8 and especially the new BV10 which just stole my heart as my all-time favourite  B&O tv !!!!
    B&O has always produced really good speakers and I find them more than competitive (even the BL5) with anything else out there... !!

This year I upgraded from my 80's beosystem 5000 to a 90's beosystem7000 which I really like.  I want to keep it separate as  a dedicated music playing system. Next year I want to invest in a pair of BL5000's to complete it. it's connected to an airport express.  this Christmas I want to add a good dac to this setup.

For daily use I have an AV7000 which is an easy home theatre solution connected with Mcl2p's to 5 pcs of (upgraded) CX100's. I have almost finished restoring a 'lost cause' Ouverture that will be added to handle daily audio requirements (radio,cd etc) . All has been hooked up to a MAC mini and NAS for full mediacenter use. Works great.  I will add a beoport to this setup if an updated software for mac will be available. Hopefully next year...

End of next year I already have planned to change the front cx's with BL8000 or wall mounted BL6000's.  Next item on the list would be a B&O tv which I will have to buy new as no second-hand ones are available here.

• 12-01-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

cooldude:

I want to enjoy building my B&O system one bit at a time and don't want to fill up the whole house in one year. It gives me something to look forward to, plan and save up for. Constantly upgrading bits at a time gives me great satisfaction and always something new to play with.  

I share the same view as you Cooldude. I like to build my B&O system one bit at a time. this gives me the satisfaction to accomplish a personal project.

As for the purchase, I will plan to focuse on second hand items regarding the loudspeakers. Why not sell my BL8000, BL4000 et BL2 to get the marvellous BL5's in second hand. I am thinking of doing this.

Next purchase is the Beocom5 to replace my recently dead Beocom6000. This one gave me ten years of excellent service.

Last but not least, I would be happy to see a BV10 in 50".

Cheers,

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 12-01-2009 10:31 PM In reply to

We've just plain run out of room to keep adding things.  Already have a BeoCenter 2500 and a BeoCom 6000 in storage due to lack of space.

The BS 5 is tempting, but my wife opined it would add a mess of cables or would have to perforate walls yet again.  Perhaps if it were a wireless device?

Tried the BV 7-55 last week at the dealer.  Beautiful, but we do not own a TV and see no reason to buy one at this time.

• 12-05-2009 9:03 PM In reply to

There is a certain irony that McKinsey wants to charge for this article given its theme :-)

none the less I think this is a real danger for luxury brands ... 

How the recession has changed US consumer behavior

Companies waiting for a return to normality following the recession may be disappointed. Their customers have tried cheaper products—and actually like them.

(Premium membership required)

• 12-05-2009 9:14 PM In reply to

The economic "crisis" hasn't changed my spending habits.

Quitting my job, moving to Australia, traveling 30,000km in a Land Cruiser through the land... that has changed my spending habits.  Ramen anyone?

• 12-05-2009 9:33 PM In reply to

elephant:

There is a certain irony that McKinsey wants to charge for this article given its theme :-)

Companies waiting for a return to normality following the recession may be disappointed. Their customers have tried cheaper products—and actually like them.

I tend to agree with you.  However, there have been at least 3 recessions since 1980 in the US.  Its in the 90's that B&O opened most of their stores in the US.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-06-2009 2:30 AM In reply to

elephant:

For at least a limited time, anyone wishing to read the cited McKinsey Quarterly article simply has to follow this link and register for free at the McKinsey site.  Certainly does not bode well for BV 7-55 sales!  Cheers,

http://bit.ly/5mbmZz

• 12-06-2009 3:59 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

dilznik:

Quitting my job, moving to Australia, traveling 30,000km in a Land Cruiser through the land... that has changed my spending habits.  Ramen anyone?

Just out of interest, how did you get in Australia? I've looked at moving and, even with my IT qualifications, would struggle to be accepted. Unless you have a job offer over there, it seems getting in 'off your own back' is near impossible these days!

Ironically, I work for an Australian company, but only as a contractor - so that doesn't count.

• 12-06-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

XavierItzmann:

For at least a limited time, anyone wishing to read the cited McKinsey Quarterly article simply has to follow this link and register for free at the McKinsey site.  Certainly does not bode well for BV 7-55 sales!  Cheers,

http://bit.ly/5mbmZz

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately if you read this article and then try to follow-up with the consumer electronics link, you can only read the first section of that article without paying the premium subscription................ but you can guess the conclusions!

The question for B&O is whether they are perceived as an upmarket electronics company providing products undifferentiated from the mass producers. I'm not sure that they are in this category, but I think buyers may defer purchases rather than go for alternative electronics. Existing owners are bound to value the use of their Beo4/Beo5's for example and will hesitate to change unless they're going to ditch B&O altogether.

Are B&O helping themselves? There has been one price rise this year (UK) and maybe more exchange rate changes to come. There's a good chance that in the UK the VAT rate, due to return to 17.5% from 15%, will actually go to 20% as the Exchequer tries to recover lost tax revenues. Mass produced electronics goods, however, continue to fall in price, continue to be overtaken (technologically speaking) by new products, and provide next to no profit margins for retailers (hence very high turnovers required).

One concern that I have is that 'Audiophiles' frequently dismiss B&O. Car owners can see the difference between a Mini and a Bentley, but they accept that the Bentley may cost ten times as much although it achieves more or less the same thing as the Mini. The Bentley is not dismissed as some sort of rip-off (and Bentley seem to be maintaining sales in this recession.) (This wouldn't be true though if Bentley used a Mini powertrain!) B&O need to demonstrate that ther products both look and perform better than the competition........ in which case they will be able to charge a high premium. If the perception is that the products are inferior (or other manufacturers products dressed-up with nothing technological added) then B&O may have a long-term problem.

Personally, I still feel positive about the brand.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-06-2009 3:14 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

Are B&O helping themselves? There has been one price rise this year (UK) and maybe more exchange rate changes to come. There's a good chance that in the UK the VAT rate, due to return to 17.5% from 15%, will actually go to 20%

Although it's unlikely to rise again any time soon (although 18% has been mooted), don't forget that the 2.5% rise in January will also mean a rise in B&Os UK prices, which have risen twice in the last 12 months!

If 18% or higher does happen, it will be after the next election...

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >