in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-22-2009 4:07 AM by moxxey. 62 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-20-2009 10:44 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoVision 7, 55'' pictures now in media center

In case anyone in the New York area wants to see it I have it set up in my store as of yesterday!

First one to arrive in NYC!

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 11-21-2009 12:17 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Mark,

Room size is an issue here; but in general I find the 7-4 too thin-sounding on its own.  You always have the option of changing the number of speakers involved, and there are a LOT of TV shows now being recorded in surround.  Going with a 7-1/2/6 solves that issue, but might muddy the image for 5.1 recordings given the size of your room.

On the other hand, going from the 7-1/2/6 to the 7-4 also changes the over-all size of the Television rather a lot.  You go from 44" to something like 57" at the top.

Overall, if sound quality is the over-riding concern, I'd stick with the 7-4, and find a way to deal with the height.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 11-21-2009 8:58 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Just back from viewing the BV7-55.

My god, this is H-U-G-E. Makes the BV7-40 look like a 26" TV :) Picture quality was surprisingly good, for such a large LCD screen. It's so big, that it looks like it was created as a wind-up. Doesn't look 'real'. Can't explain what I mean. Just so large.

Also saw the BV10-40 (with the orange fret!) and this is a stunning TV. Not 100% sure if the picture was better than my BV7-40 MKIV though.

• 11-21-2009 10:16 AM In reply to

Am very eager to see it. Hoping Chicago dealer has one when we are there next week.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-21-2009 11:56 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Just back from viewing the BV7-55.

My god, this is H-U-G-E. Makes the BV7-40 look like a 26" TV :) Picture quality was surprisingly good, for such a large LCD screen. It's so big, that it looks like it was created as a wind-up. Doesn't look 'real'. Can't explain what I mean. Just so large.

Also saw the BV10-40 (with the orange fret!) and this is a stunning TV. Not 100% sure if the picture was better than my BV7-40 MKIV though.

Did you stop by and see it in Bath Chris? I was in their last week and neither TV you mention were there. How would you rate the 10-40 to the Mark 3 7-40? Worth upgrading (or downgrading because of lack of BS3 and DVD?) You tell me!

Simon.

• 11-21-2009 1:21 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw,

Thank you again for your insights about the BV-7 and how it's mass turns.  Conceptualizing that (which I'm hopefully doing in an accurate manner) actually helps out a lot in terms of making that space work.  I've got another question for you: the base of the BL-7 55" on it's low stand is apparently in the 22" range in terms of diameter.  Assuming for some space behind the base for wires to go in to my cabinetry, that pushes the proposed shelf I'll need to build pretty far out from the wall.  Could I get away with less than 6" behind the base for the wires?  Would this still allow for some turning room?

Russ,

Thank you for your follow-up, too.  I also got your email and phone message.  I've been a little out of contact for the past few days and haven't even had a chance to do my daily Beoworld perusing.  I'll give you a holler this week.

Mark

Mark D
  • 11-21-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Two questions for the group:

-if you wanted a Netflix / additional Blu-ray player to attach to this new BV-7 (or any new B&O TV), would you go with one of the higher end, stand-alone Samsung models or would you go the Playstation 3 route?  Which would be quieter and work better with B&O's PUC?

-it sounds like the primary difference between the new BL 7-6 and the BL 7-2 is volume of the speaker cabinets.  Has anyone heard the BL 7-6?  And, if so, does it sound significantly better than the BL 7-2?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mark

Mark D
  • 11-21-2009 1:30 PM In reply to

The_Beonic_Man:

Did you stop by and see it in Bath Chris? I was in their last week and neither TV you mention were there. How would you rate the 10-40 to the Mark 3 7-40? Worth upgrading (or downgrading because of lack of BS3 and DVD?) You tell me!

Simon.

I don't see the BV10 as a replacement for the BV7. I certainly would not change - the sound on the 7 is a different league. I have obviously not done a comparison on picture as neither are in my house at present! However talking to the saleamen in Newcastle, they reckon the picture of the 7-40 and 10-40 are pretty similar but the 10-40 is slightly better on motion. I do wonder what the result would be if they didn't know the tech specs though!!

If you want a better screen, wait for the upgraded 7-40. If you want a set that is very thin instead of the BV7, then the BV10 could be for you. If you want a set of this design, the BV10 is for you. But not if you are chasing specs as it will no doubt be out of date in 6 months anyway!

• 11-21-2009 1:50 PM In reply to

Some useful points Peter, thanks. I suppose I am chasing specs more than anything else. Also, the 10-40 is a closer look to the BV5 than the BV7-40 although still not the same appeal for me. In view of your response though I will probably stick with what I have. I must admit the HD content on the 7-40 is superb, I have been following the Life series every Monday on BBC HD and the picture quality on the 7-40 is simply stunning. I think Chris (Moxxey) has been right all along in that the BV7 TVs display the picture quality 'as is' from the broadcaster. It's a fine TV really, I just need to get the BV5 look out of my head as its still very much there, as it always has been since release! I just love the design so much.

Simon.

• 11-21-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

BeoNut1:

Razlaw,

Thank you again for your insights about the BV-7 and how it's mass turns.  Conceptualizing that (which I'm hopefully doing in an accurate manner) actually helps out a lot in terms of making that space work.  I've got another question for you: the base of the BL-7 55" on it's low stand is apparently in the 22" range in terms of diameter.  Assuming for some space behind the base for wires to go in to my cabinetry, that pushes the proposed shelf I'll need to build pretty far out from the wall.  Could I get away with less than 6" behind the base for the wires?  Would this still allow for some turning room?

Russ,

Thank you for your follow-up, too.  I also got your email and phone message.  I've been a little out of contact for the past few days and haven't even had a chance to do my daily Beoworld perusing.  I'll give you a holler this week.

Mark

Assuming the 55 is the same as a 40, the wires come out of the back of the TV. In theory the base could be as close to the wall as you desire.  Having our 40 six inches from the wall allows plenty of room for turning. Also, if the connections are located on the 55 as they are on a 40, remember you may need to get access to the back of the TV.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-21-2009 6:03 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The_Beonic_Man:

Did you stop by and see it in Bath Chris? I was in their last week..

Yes, the 7-55 is there until Monday. I thought you said you weren't going back in the store?

The picture quality on the BV10-40 was excellent, but I don't think is any better than my BV7-40 MKIV from viewing HD, in-store. However, the sound on the BV7 is a LOT better. I'm not sure the audio on the BV10-40 is as good as the BV8-40, as an example? If audio plays a part in your TV experience, bear this in mind when you are making a decision! Picture quality isn't everything. Besides, it won't be much better than the MKIII. My MKIV wasn't.

BTW, I still prefer the BV8-40 - perhaps this is an option?

• 11-21-2009 7:17 PM In reply to

Cheers for the info Chris. I was in the store last week as Alex and Darren were ironing out some issues for me with the existing set-up, all of which have been successfully rectified now. I must say that Darren stands out. His attention to detail and workmanship is superb. Very pleased to have had him on the job. He fixed the mess that Jack left me in.

From what people are saying it seems very clear that the BV10-40 is not a replacement for the BV7 sets. Sound is important to me, key in fact, so I will be staying with the 7-40. To be honest I have taken quite a liking to it but you know me Chris, always fiddling and wanting to try new things! Looking forward to seeing the 10-40 sometime soon. I will probably look at it in Surrey over Christmas when I am visiting the family. There's a few stores I know quite well down that way. I'll probably pop into the Kingston upon Thames store which is where I bought the Avant for my mum a few years back along with some other bits and pieces for myself over the years.

All is well with the Mark IV 7-40 I trust? Any thoughts about trading anything in? You have the 8-40 already in your kitchen I believe, so is the 10-40 something you will consider anywhere or not?

Cheers,
    Simon. 

• 11-22-2009 4:07 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The_Beonic_Man:

All is well with the Mark IV 7-40 I trust? Any thoughts about trading anything in? You have the 8-40 already in your kitchen I believe, so is the 10-40 something you will consider anywhere or not?

I do like the BV10-40, like it a lot. However, I don't think it's an 'upgrade' for my BV7-40 MKIV as the sound quality will be a downgrade, plus I'd like to upgrade to a 46" TV if one is ever released from B&O. There's too much of a gap between 40" and 55".

If I replaced the BV8-26 (26!), I'd get the red BV6-26. I don't know why, but I think this is a good colour-combo, particularly for my colourful kitchen ;)

Glad to hear you got things sorted with the Bath store. To be fair to Mike, he's taken the crashing BV7 seriously and moved the issue up to people higher up at B&O - simply as the latest v7.x software doesn't fix the issue, yet the issue was reported in May. I mean, come on, how long can it take to fix a crashing TV?! I'm not the only one with the problem, either...

Page 3 of 3 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3