in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-12-2009 4:57 PM by Tom Morgan. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-11-2009 12:13 AM

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Penta MkII's and BC9500

Hi All, just need a quick confimation here.  I just picked up a pair of Penta II's and am connecting them to my BC9500.  I have been looking for a pair of Penta III's for over a year now and haven't found a pair within driving distance.  Doesn't anyone buy B&O near Detroit?  So I recently found a pair of 2's in excellent cosmetic condition, with no foam rot, at a very reasonable price.  So instead of waiting forever for a pair of Penta III's, I bought the II's.  If a pair of III's come along, I may consider upgrading.

The speakers came with Speakerlink wires, so I am going to buy a pair of MkII Powerlink cables and connect them that way.  All the threads I have read seem to indicate that this (Powerlink) is the best method of connecting them to the 9500.  In the meantime, I just wanted to make sure I have the switches Pentas set correctly using the Speakerlink:

Audio/Video Switch:  Set to Audio.   Input switch: Set to level 1.    Mode switch: Set using L & R.   Bass Extension Switch:  Set to 3 (I have a big room).  Does this seem right?

Many thanks for the help,

Tom

PS:  I did read all the "Powerlink/Penta" threads I could before I asked this, probably by now, very tedious question.

• 11-11-2009 12:18 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Re: Penta MkII's and BC9500

One more thing; does it matter which Powerlink cable I buy, as I do not know how many types are available and the difference between each one? Also, if there is anyone you would recommend I purchase them from (other than just saying "eBay") that would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Tom  

• 11-11-2009 4:07 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Hi and congratulations on your Pentas!

Any B&O dealer can provide you with Powerlink Cables. As far as I know, they have to be fully wired (Powerlink MK3 cables I suppose they are called?) to also send a signal to the displays of the Penta, anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Enjoy!

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 11-11-2009 5:09 AM In reply to

You need fully wired or thick powerlink cables. Lifestyle can send you some and you will get the correct type. Penta 2 and 3s are just about identical except for the displays.

• 11-11-2009 5:18 AM In reply to

ChrDH:

Any B&O dealer can provide you with Powerlink Cables. As far as I know, they have to be fully wired (Powerlink MK3 cables I suppose they are called?) to also send a signal to the displays of the Penta, anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Christian

No!!!

Speakers with displays require Mk2 Powerlinks.

Regards Graham

• 11-11-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

Hi Tom, welcome to Beowolrd.

congratulations on your new toys. The penta's are fine speakers and finding some at reasonable price and in good condition is very hard.
    As a fellow North American I know all about how hard it is to find B&O items second hand. Ebay sometimes being your best bet.

I do think they need powerlink MK2 cables , but just ask your B&O dealer and he can even order some for you.

Regards

• 11-11-2009 9:34 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Christian.  There is not a dealer very close to me, but if necessary, I can locate one and maybe have them shipped.  Thanks for your kind words.  Tom

• 11-11-2009 9:38 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter,  It's been a little while since I have been on BeoWorld, as I have benn searching for so long for a pair of P3's, with little success.  Now that I have kinda settled for a pair of P2's, it was time to jump back into the fold.  Was I right on my switch settings using the Speaker link cables?

I hope things have been going well for you.

Regards,

Tom

• 11-11-2009 9:47 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Hi Cooldude (not sure what your real name is),

Many thanks on my "Welcome to Beoworld", but if you check my "member since date", I have actually been a member of BeoWorld longer than you.  And actually, I have been a member long before my date indicates, as I lost my old registration when they upgraded to the new website.  I just don't have the opportunity to participate as aften as I would like, but your sentiments are much appreciated!

I checked eBay last night and only found one person selling P-link cables, but they did not indicate which variety they were, Mk1, Mk2, or Mk3.  I also thought the price was kind of a rip-off (and how can it cost 12 bucks to ship a cable that weights less than 12 ounces?  I hate that in an eBay seller).  I'll keep looking and also find out more about the differences between the cble types.

Thanks again for your kindness, Tom.

• 11-11-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Many thanks Graham.  I kinda figured out that I needed Mk2's, but I was looking for an article, tech review or thread which spoke of the differences between the various cables and couldn't find any.  Although I'm sure one has been written at one time or another, probably by "you" of all people!  Anyway, is it possible to quickly or simply identify the differences in these cable and why?

Again, thanks for your perfectly succint reply.

Tom

• 11-11-2009 9:55 AM In reply to

The mode switch should be set to AUTO and the power switch should be set to II.

The bass ext should be set to whatever sounds best to your ears.

Regards Graham

• 11-11-2009 9:59 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Perfect, thank-you.  By "Power Switch", I assume you mean the "Input Switch".

Also, I just went to LifeStyles AV and found out the main difference between Mk2 and Mk3 cables, at least which one goes to which Beolab, so don't go to any trouble writing me a thesis about the differences.  You the Man. 

Tom

• 11-11-2009 12:28 PM In reply to

Tom Morgan:

Hi Peter,  It's been a little while since I have been on BeoWorld, as I have benn searching for so long for a pair of P3's, with little success.  Now that I have kinda settled for a pair of P2's, it was time to jump back into the fold.  Was I right on my switch settings using the Speaker link cables?

I hope things have been going well for you.

Regards,

Tom

Good to hear from you! I would set the input level at 1 and the mode switch to Auto. Powerlink will be much easier and better! The sound of P2s and P3s are the same in my view - I prefer the displays of 3s, but I am used to them!

• 11-11-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Peter,

If I heard you say in a thread, that you liked the P3 display better than P2, I heard it a dozen times. LOL.  I obviously have not spent enough time with either to form a valid opinion, but I have to say the warmed of the amber display on the P2's seems nice to me.  As always, thanks so much to you and everyone at BeoWorld for such great advice.  Tom

• 11-11-2009 3:32 PM In reply to

Tom Morgan:

Peter,

If I heard you say in a thread, that you liked the P3 display better than P2, I heard it a dozen times. LOL.  I obviously have not spent enough time with either to form a valid opinion, but I have to say the warmed of the amber display on the P2's seems nice to me.  As always, thanks so much to you and everyone at BeoWorld for such great advice.  Tom

Yes - I have Penta II's and I prefer the amber displays.

The II's display is a kind of LCD whereas the III's are a dot-matrix style. I dont have Penta III but have seen many pictures of the green dot-matrix display - it may be a little more modern looking perhaps - but I personally prefer the amber II's display. Not so much because of the colour - but I like the layout betterWink

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 11-11-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

I stand corrected, my Friend!  I thought you had 3's.  I feel much better now that I am in such good company with some who has and likes the 2's.  I guess I didn't understand the LCD and dot-matrix difference you were referring to, but I do now and I totally agree.  Be good.

In other news, is there anyway I can change my username without messing up anything to do with my site registration?  I would like to add a picture of some sort and maybe change the name to suit.  If not, that is ok, I'll just do the picture.

• 11-11-2009 4:23 PM In reply to

Tom Morgan:

In other news, is there anyway I can change my username without messing up anything to do with my site registration?  I would like to add a picture of some sort and maybe change the name to suit.  If not, that is ok, I'll just do the picture.

I'm not sure about changing your username - but to add a picture etc. just go to 'edit profile' at the top of page and 'enable' an avatar...

Re. the powerlink cables - make sure you get the Mark II powerlink cables (fully wired) and you can buy them from Steve @ sounds heavenley or Lifestyle-av. Both advertise all over this site.

Cheers.

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

• 11-11-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Thanks B-Man!  I will say, they are pricey little suckers!

Tom

• 11-11-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

Tom Morgan:

Thanks B-Man!  I will say, they are pricey little suckers!

Tom

Tom,

Yes a little pricey - but look at cables as being an important part of your system. An investment in your system if you will.

You have a great set up with BC9500 and Penta II's - these beauties deserve the correct & top-quality cables.

If you require long cables it can work out quite expensive - I agree. See Steve@ SoundsHeavenly.Wink

Michael

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

• 11-12-2009 2:37 AM In reply to

I have a pair of mk1 penta's! So you guys are lucky, I got my cables off Steve at sounds heavenly.  His cables are excellent, and so is his service.  If someone deserves your business then Steve does! Cheers Nick

P.s. I doubt he will hand deliver!!

• 11-12-2009 7:15 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:

ChrDH:

Christian

No!!!

Speakers with displays require Mk2 Powerlinks.

okay

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 11-12-2009 4:57 PM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Many thanks Nick,  I will make sure to get in contact with Steve.  He sounds like just the person I want to meet. 

Regards, Tom

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)