in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-14-2009 7:34 AM by soulboy. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2009 9:09 AM

Beginner

Hello guys!Smile

As a title suggest i would like to step into B&O world. But i got some general questions. I am a student so my budget is very low and in own in my upinion descent audio setup (mid range Sony amp + Bose 301 speakers).

I am looking at Beosound 1 or maybe some used system( Im open to you suggetions) with Beolab 3 or 6000/8000.

I am mostly listening to mp3 and radio in my 20m2 living room. My concern is how will B&O sound with this entry systems in compare with my present setup?

So what will you do, save more money or buy B&O,

Thanks for you help,

• 11-10-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Beginner

Welcome first off,

You have quite a range of choice there. I think you would be better suited to a stereo setup instead of the Beosound 1. The Beolab 8ks are what I would buy, the Lab 3s are great too. The 6ks might not be enough for such a large room.

Will you be using the sony amp to power B&O speakers or are you planning on getting a B&O amp?

Most membrs on this site will, like me, probably spring for more B&O.

Evan

• 11-10-2009 9:54 AM In reply to

soulboy:
    I am mostly listening to mp3 and radio in my 20m2 living room. My concern is how will B&O sound with this entry systems in compare with my present setup?

Welcome to BeoWorld! Big Smile

First entry on a budget and you are set on active speakers.

Unless my calcs are off 20m2 =~ 215 SQFT or roughly about 15'-0 by 15'-0 for a square room.

The 6000's should be fine in a room that size, and would be the least expensive actives discounting the BL4's. To drive them, I would recommend a BM6500 and a Beo4 remote. Your budget should be safe and you would have a nice entry level "active" system that you could expand in the future with more stacking pieces if you so decided. (e.g.) Beocord, Beogram, CD... If you wanted an all in one solution, then perhaps a BC9500 would be nice!

Regarding comparison to your existing system, I would expect it to be brighter and crisper... and well, fantastic looking!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-10-2009 10:28 AM In reply to

What about used Beosound 3000 + Beolab 6000. It is new to me buying used audio even more so if it is already out of production.

How do Beolab 3 compare with 6000? I like them because the are small.

• 11-10-2009 10:53 AM In reply to

soulboy:

What about used Beosound 3000 + Beolab 6000. It is new to me buying used audio even more so if it is already out of production.

I can't really comment on the BS3000 or its peers... not my gig! But, I am sure someone will be happy to offer advice. Also, I am in the states, so pricing will vary... I assume you are "overseas?"

The BL3's are smaller, but are more expensive than the 6000's. If size is important (and budget), you may want to look at the BL4's...

Of course, maybe the most important thing for you to do is establish what your budget is going to be. That would help myself, and anyone else to steer you in the right direction.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-10-2009 11:07 AM In reply to

Why do you want B&O? Sound quality will be better than your present set up mainly due to the speakers. I imagine the Sony amplifier is probably quite good though a model number could be helpful. Does it have a pre-amp output? What sources are you using? Is it your PC or Mac and the amplifier? If so, maybe all you need is a Beoport which can have an IR eye attached and then the speakers you want. This would free up a lot of money. Beolab 3s are far better than 6000s in really every way. For your size room, they would be ideal and offer lots of detail and plenty of bass if not the ultimate floor shaking experience. I am listening to a pair working through a Beoport as I type! You can add to this system later as you wish and multi-room.

• 11-10-2009 11:11 AM In reply to

soulboy:

Welcome to Beoworld!

Personally I think the Beolab 3's are a great improvement over the Beolab 6000's. If size is an issue I would consider a pair of these or get a pair of Beolab 4000's. I have no experience with a Beosound 3000, but I do own one of its predecessor's a Beosystem 2300. For the same sort of money you could get a Beomaster 6500 / 7000 with a Beogram CD 6500 / 7000. I also own a Beosystem 7000 and if I was in your shoes I would choose the latter option.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-10-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

beocool:
    If size is an issue I would consider a pair of these or get a pair of Beolab 4000's.

WOW! I completely blanked on my favorite active speaker! Laughing

Highly recommended and within the same price range +/- as the 6000's!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-10-2009 12:04 PM In reply to

Love to read your answers!

Lets go from beginning. I am looking B&O because I want a better looking stereo as my old one. I want a small system and i also prefer smaller speakers. I want CD, Radio FM and aux.

I have 2000 eur so I can buy new Beosund 1 or some combination ob used B&O. I absolutely adore BL3, secound option will be BL4000. From main systems i like BeoSound 3000. Is there any other system for me to look at??

• 11-10-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

I bought a Beosound 2300 (looks like the BS3000) and BL6000 as my first B&O stuff. It looks beautiful and sounds good. I think the BL6000s are very underrated.

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 11-10-2009 1:03 PM In reply to

Hi, 

For a compact unit, the beosound3000 (I have a 4000) is working perfectly fine. The sound is largely dependant on the quality of speakers and their build-in amps. I suggest a pair of Beolab 4000 as speakers with it. They are affordable, well designed, look great and give a real nice sound.

For a little bit more you can get some BL6000 which will be just fine. The beoloab 8000's have a very iconic design and frankly are one of the better all-round speakers imo. 

Beolab3 are very good speakers due to the alt system amazing clear sound and powerful in regards to their size. Personally I find they can render sometimes a bit too much detail and the sound is a little bit overworked when used in a smaller spaces imo. But that's solely based on my experiences with them.

They beomaster 6500/7000 is a very open and easily expandable system (though a little more conventional setup but understated looking) and will work with all passive or active speakers. You can start with the beomaster receiver/amp and add the cd player, turntable etc later if you like. It's advantage is that it allows more things connected to it than a beosound which only has the one aux.

• 11-10-2009 1:05 PM In reply to

From your reply I would suggest you get Beolab 3s - if these are what turn you on, then get some. You won't be disappointed. The reason I asked about the outputs on the Sony is that you can use this whilst waiting to save up for your music system. You can actually run Beolab 3s from an iPod if you really want!

• 11-11-2009 2:38 AM In reply to

Peter :

You can actually run Beolab 3s from an iPod if you really want!

Do this mean that you can listen all active Labs by just plugging them directly on lets say Playstation 3?

• 11-11-2009 3:03 AM In reply to

soulboy:

Peter :

You can actually run Beolab 3s from an iPod if you really want!

Do this mean that you can listen all active Labs by just plugging them directly on lets say Playstation 3?

In principle, yes - but you will need a volume control in the source. The Beolabs don't have any, so they will play at full blast all the time if you feed them a fixed line level signal...

-mika

• 11-11-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

As Mika says, you need variable line level. The iPod dock has this and a remote. Beolab 5s actually have a remote facility themselves but they are about £10,000! Laughing

• 11-12-2009 5:16 AM In reply to

What do you think about Iphone remote + Airport express + Active speakers . Will this setup work? Can there be any problems?

Since i already have iphone this sound like good solution for me.

PS: Is there a option in itunes to set max sound volume just in case that you dont blow at the speakers.

• 11-12-2009 5:19 AM In reply to

That will work - you may want a better DAC than the one in your Mac - I have just got a DAC Magic which seems rather good. But I would try your suggestion first and see if it is acceptable.

• 11-12-2009 5:36 AM In reply to

Peter :

That will work - you may want a better DAC than the one in your Mac - I have just got a DAC Magic which seems rather good. But I would try your suggestion first and see if it is acceptable.

If i understand you need DAC for better sound quality. Is there a difference between playing audio files with B&O and Apple systems. Or is the difference made by file format and speakers?

• 11-12-2009 5:41 AM In reply to

It varies! Most computer sound cards are not the very best - which Mac do you have? Macs seem better than most PCs but it is something worth considering. DACs in B&O will be for the CD players and the BS5 and these are all rather good!

• 11-12-2009 8:34 AM In reply to

I use a mac mini for playing music and have started to experiment with adding a (on loan from a friend) dac ...boy does it ever make a difference. (Also makes clear that some of the non-lossless songs need to be upgraded....)

I do have an airport express/itouch combo in the bathroom right now and I confirm that the dac in the AE is really not up to par for a main audio system. 

• 11-12-2009 9:55 AM In reply to

Peter,

How did you connect your DacMagic to your sound system? Did you use a DIN cable (?) to an AUX input on your B&O system, or is there a better way?

Thank you!

Eric

September 2009 1st prize winner.... 

• 11-12-2009 10:19 AM In reply to

I used an optical cable from the PowerMac to the DAC Magic and then a phono to mini jack into the Beoport.

• 11-12-2009 10:51 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter...

Would you consider the Beoport necessary, or would similar functionality be achievable by just controlling the Mac (e.g. with an iPod touch) and connecting the DacMagic output directly to a BeoMaster AUX input? Sorry for all the questions!

Kind regards, Eric

September 2009 1st prize winner.... 

• 11-12-2009 1:56 PM In reply to

I was in B&O store today its such a magical place. I think i will go for Beosound 1. It does enough for my ears and i got a fair offer. BL3 are a bit over the top for me mainly because i listen to mp3 format.

Now im thinking to connect Mac directly to BS1 aux. Any opinion?

• 11-12-2009 2:38 PM In reply to

The advantage of the Beoport is that I can listen to the music all over the house. I can control with either a Beo4 or an iPod Touch/iPhone.It also has Beolab 3s attached to it and acts as a separate music system. It would work the way you want though.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >