in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-05-2010 7:10 PM by sajpratty. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2009 4:08 PM

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Beocord 3500 (1988) playback problem

Dear all, I've skimmed the forum here to see if my problems have already been covered. Can't find a great deal of help so hopefully I'm not duplicating...

Anyway, I'm hoping to revive my Dad's Beocord 3500 with a view to probable inheritance.

Problem:
    When the unit receives mains power it whirrs, initially, then quietens down again.
    Without a cassette inserted a touch of the 'play button' doesn't raise the pinch-roller or head. I remember previously this would happen - it aided cleaning. Throughout this process the whirring sound is audible.

When a cassette is loaded and the 'play button' touched, no movement occurs just the whirr sound. Rewind and fast-forward fail to work too.

I've removed the base panel and re-fitted the drive belt. This feels quite loose, so perhaps needs replacing. Is there another drive belt located elsewhere within the unit casing?

Furthermore, recently the unit fell victim to an unfortunate accidental coffee spillage. The spillage was mopped up immediately but I fear the damage has already been done. The pictures below show the unit with the touch panel removed and close-ups of the affected area. Could someone let me know if they reckon the unit's dead?

Much respect and appreciation of all your help and comments in advance.

Filed under:
  • 11-09-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-16-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beocord 3500 (1988) playback problem

I would get some circuit board cleaner or contact cleaner from your local electrical parts store and clean up that corrosion on the circuit board.

I would expect there are a few more belts in the unit (I am not 100%), if you join the site as a member you will get access to the various service manuals which would show you a diagram of the deck.

Certainly at the age of the deck, the belts are most likely in need of replacement.

btw where abouts are you located? Australia?

Andrew

• 11-09-2009 5:50 PM In reply to

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Hi Andrew - thanks for the speedy reply!

I hear you regarding cleaning up the dirt, good call. The capacitor doesn't look like it's blown so perhaps it's still ok?
    As for sourcing a diagram I'll have a check around the web for such a thing. There are plenty of B&O shops nearby so I might chance my arm at chatting to one of the store engineers...maybe they'll have a diagram or two I could take a gander at.

I hope I can get this working again - it's a great deck!

Oh, by the way I'm based in London, UK.
    Did I say something kinda Aussie??  Wink

• 11-10-2009 1:55 AM In reply to

• Maurice
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-26-2007
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 56
    • Silver Member

Hi Pepps

be careful if you are going into the beocord much deeper as almost certainly their will be some shorting damage to the other side of the pcb "copper foil" side you can gain access via the removable rear cover "note toqux bits and an internal bonding lead " if my memory serves me correctly on the back cover if you are unsure what to do i can probably sort it out for you.

Regards Maurice

• 11-10-2009 5:40 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree, it looks fixable.
    I like to use an ultrasonic bath for cleaning things like this but less will probably do.
    You may need to dismount (and eventually replace) the affected jumpers and the resistor but
    that shouldn't be too difficult. A stiff brush, IPA (IsoPropanol Alcohol) and paper towels to suck up
    the mess.

The other fault sounds like a belt problem. Two different types of decks were used. I can supply
    new belts for both types.

Martin

• 11-15-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Project update:

All - many thanks for your advice. I've had the unit in pieces and it does indeed seemto be belt-related. There's a small belt located on the underside of the cassette deck, accessible by removing the rear panel. This presents no problem to replace. The tricky one is located inside the cassette chassis itself. This is much thicker than the other one mentioned previously, approx. 5mm in width. I presume this is the primary drive belt?

Can anyone suggest the best way to access and change this belt?

I'm not worried about getting in and carrying out the work, but as I slowly took the Beocord apart to get to this stage I spent a good deal of time marvelling at the genius behind this deck - it's built in such a clever way, designed with such cunning! Consequently I think that tackling the more complicated aspect of the cassette chassis itself may well present some tricky access issues - if somone could let me know of any known pitfalls before I start it'd be great!

Oh and where's the best place to get belts?

• 11-15-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I actually already told you that I can supply belts.
    They are available as a set and instructions with text and photos can be included.
    Your deck must be the three belt version so there's one more belt that you haven't
    found yet (not the one for the motorized lid).
    One or more belts are custom produced to size, elasticity and friction so I cannot tell
    you for sure if they are available elsewhere.
    Maybe from B&O but I doubt it.

Martin

• 11-15-2009 3:40 PM In reply to

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Sorry Martin - mis-read your post. That's excellent news. I'll PM you for further details.

Thanks!

pepps

Big Smile

• 04-05-2010 9:39 AM In reply to

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Project update 2:

I received new belts, quite pricey! The packaging did come with a very comprehansive instruction sheet with picture, which was very good. Only small belts included though, no replacement for the main, large belt.
    Anyway - I fitted them and sadly when I activated the deck and pressed 'play' the mechanism moved almost into position, but didn't quite make it. Then a small plume of smoke appeared out of the rear of the unit!

I disconnected it from the mains.

I still have a broken Beocord.

If anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks all.

Filed under:
  • 04-05-2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The set contains all tapedeck belts for your version of the Beocord 3500.
    That's three in total;
    - Capstan belt
    - Motor to idler
    - Left reel to motion sensor

The cost of the complete set with packing/postage is apprx that of one belt alone (when
    they were still available from B&O, that is).
    Custom produced belts does not come cheaper and I make no money on selling belts.

Sorry to hear that something didn't go well.
    Have you located the source of the smoke ?
    Did you fix the other issues ?

Martin

• 04-05-2010 6:34 PM In reply to

pepps:

Project update 2:

I still have a broken Beocord.

If anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks all.

Hi Pepps

I do wish I had noticed this earlier... Embarrassed

Anyway, how's this for a suggestion? I have a cosmetically challenged BeoCord 3500 - an eBay "bargain" that wasn't. It shows great potential as a donor - I reckon a lid swap should be the easiest way to go.

I tested it out just now, all works perfect apart from some wow/flutter - your new belts should come in handy there. You are very welcome to take the thing off my hands, no charge. I'm in London too, I'll PM you after I post this.

Cheers, Steve

• 07-05-2010 6:47 PM In reply to

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Final project update:

Thanks to everyone for helping out. The Beocord is now fixed and running well. Steve's 'donor deck' worked a treat - thanks very much Steve!

At first swapping the drive unit and the belts didn't work - it was only when I found myself with some spare weekend time that I sat down and looked closely at my repair job that I realised I'd not mounted the main drive belt correctly and that it was rubbing on an internal component part.

Once this was rectified and the deck re-assembled everything worked properly.

Happy days. Job done.

• 07-05-2010 7:10 PM In reply to

Result! Happy to have helped.

Cheers, Steve

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)