in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-09-2009 8:19 AM by DoubleU. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2009 6:32 AM

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Alternative for Kaleidescape

Is there a good, and cheaper(!), alternative for the Kaleidescape mini-server? In euro's the Kaleidescape mini-server now costs 5400,-

Don't want to stream via a mac to my AppleTV.

Is Kaleidescape in the PUC-list of a BV7 / can it be controlled by a beo4 ? (assume a beo5 can control it)

• 11-07-2009 7:32 AM In reply to

Re: Alternative for Kaleidescape

Kaleidescape is in the PUC; however, there is a very reasonably priced alternative: the Tvix 6500A. This is also in the PUC and is a fraction of the cost.

• 11-07-2009 2:04 PM In reply to

I guess the difference is, with Kaleidescape you stay legal, with Tvix and other's you'r not really.

Not that this seem to matter much these days .....

I would look at MacMini since there is an B&O STB and then take a look at Plex or Boxee. Noted both are in some sort of development stage but I use Boxee for about a year now on my ATV and for basic video watching it works OK.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 11-07-2009 2:10 PM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

I especially like the way the Kaleidescape rips DVD's en CD's "for you"....

Any other device who can do that also?

• 11-07-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

handbrake.fr will do the DVD on a mac, for pc as well .... boxee and plex will automatically find metadata for you ... for CDs I use Itunes ...

• 11-07-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

If you mean "is there a box that can hold my digital media?" the answer is Yes. There are many alternatives. 

If you mean "is there an alternative that provides anything close to the performance and ease of use of the Kaleidescape at any price-point?" the answer is No. There is nothing on the market quite like it. 

Out of the many products I've installed at home, my wife will only use the BeoSound 5 and the Kaleidescape. The user interface, flexibility, etc. is like nothing else in that it doesn't feel like you're effing with an uncooperative computer. That's been the charm of the BeoSound 5 from what I've seen. Most other boxes take a lot of fidgeting on a computer of some sort (somebody mentioned Handbrake which made me chuckle. I think I'd rather sit in bumper to bumper traffic!). They are very labor intensive (ripping, finding album covers, sticking to draconian naming conventions, skirting copyright laws, dragging, dropping, mapping drives, contemplating offing yourself, drinking to excess), and all that just to get a pale imitation of what K-scape does automatically. 

If the Kaleidescape is out of your price-range, I personally like the Mac Mini as an stb (but don't expect the Mrs. to be on board!). I wish there was a more elegant program than Boxee or XBMC, but both are serviceable and then you can access online services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. It also has a disc drive to boot. 

Still, though. If you've got the resources, the K-scape is the Rolls Royce of media servers. You won't regret it!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-07-2009 8:24 PM In reply to

Agree that Kaleidescape is the Rolls Royce. 

For me the handbrake solution works OK and I am mr lazy when it comes to maintaining my library with digital content.  I pop in the DVD, pick my file name and import. 98% of the times that works OK. I then copy the file to my NAS where Boxee sees it.

Few seconds later it will show up with cover art and description.

Note that Boxee will introduce a reworked Beta version at CES in January. 

The draconian file name rules apply only to TV episodes.  In fact I watch mine within boxee but do not use the auto recognition.

Big difference is, Kaleidescape will import the entire DVD with all subtitles and extras. Handbrake extracts typically only the main feature and compresses the file based on your preference.

With a larger budget, I would certainly consider Kaleidescape but with current pricing it's way out of my league.

I believe Apple TV is a lost cause at this point, undersized, struggles with Hulu and Netflix on demand doesn't work at all on it.

Personally I don't understand the hype around the Tvix player .... Hacked Apple TV or if budget allows the Mac Mini gives you so much more.

• 11-07-2009 11:29 PM In reply to

Actually, a recent appellate court ruling has hit a huge blow at Kaleidescape's exception of legality.

• 11-08-2009 2:41 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

I agree with Trip, Kaleidescape is the only solution that works like an A/V devices and not a computer. And operation is bullet proofed.

All other solution need serious knowledge to get it up an running, always a computer is involved. 

The downside with Kaleidescape is the current legal sitation (for more information look at http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/index.php ) and if HD video will ever work (e.g. BluRay).

If you go for the mini system please have in mind that it works with 2.5 inch disks with limited capacity.

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 11-08-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Thank you all for the response!

I really am looking for the "low labour intensive" solution of the Kaleidescape.

Price compared with a BS5 isn't really that much!

Convincing the wife we need this product wil be the biggest challenge.....

• 11-08-2009 8:29 AM In reply to

jk1002:

Personally I don't understand the hype around the Tvix player .... Hacked Apple TV or if budget allows the Mac Mini gives you so much more.

Why can't you understand the hype?

No connectivity problems. HDMI - HDMI, the cables are available everywhere.

Trow in any video format you wish including HD and the TVIX will play it in its native resolution.

Picture quality is not really an issue with these cheap players, supported with 1,5 TB.

And on top of that, the TVIX is PUC-controlled.

If you are looking for a dedicated video-player, I can see no advantage with a Mac Mini.

• 11-08-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Completely agree with DoubleU. I had a mac mini connected to my BV7-40. To control it via Beo4 with the six button Apple Remote functions was very annoying. No linkroom sound or picture, no standby mode. Not very media player like, too much computer.....

So I replaced it with a Tvix 6500. Easy to install, easy to control. Standby mode, HDMI for picture and sound, sound for linkroom use out of the box, can play two HD movies simultaneously (!),first via HDMI on my BV7-40, second wireless on my macbook.

Just replaced Tvix with an LG BD 390 Blu-Ray/Media player. PUC controled, 3 minutes install, very fast startup (!!), direct linkroom sound AND picture, can play Blu-Rays (didn´t want to pay 1000 Euros for the BV7 BR player upgrade...!) and HD movies via USB and network, integrated wlan, DD True HD, DTS HD decoding, You Tube feature, BD live, sw updates via internet ....  240.- Euros.

Stefan

• 11-08-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

DoubleU:

jk1002:

Why can't you understand the hype?

No connectivity problems. HDMI - HDMI, the cables are available everywhere.

Trow in any video format you wish including HD and the TVIX will play it in its native resolution.

Picture quality is not really an issue with these cheap players, supported with 1,5 TB.

And on top of that, the TVIX is PUC-controlled.

If you are looking for a dedicated video-player, I can see no advantage with a Mac Mini.

I haven't been able to get a single movie to play on my store unit. Tried and tried then got the answer it was not Mac compatible (some on here said it was, which I believe). Finally loaded with a PC and the files won't play. Maybe my HD is formatted incorrectly, but the box automatically formats the internal hard disk (after the user installs it themselves!). I lost interest and put it back in the box. I have to much to do to spend another afternoon screwing with it. 

All in all the Tvix box is not only not worth the hype, but the least user friendly media box I've ever come across and there is no support in the US. It requires more knowledge than should ever be required to watch a movie on your couch and is, in a nutshell, everything that 's wrong with the current state of digital media. 

EDIT: And also, by the time you buy the box & the hard drive you could buy a basic Mac Mini! Much better set top box and all with the famous Mac ease of use and support.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-08-2009 12:02 PM In reply to

I use a mac mini as I found the apple tv just too limited in it's original setup and hacking it is just a temp. patch to extend it's limited functionality.

The mac mini (not the latest model !!) is being used as a dedicated mediacenter connected wirelessly to a nas. I have tried xmbc which I didn't really like and boxee which is just aggravating, so I tried plex which did it for me. Beautiful interface, easy to use, doesn't crash. My wife likes it very much as well and has no problem with it .....

I do agree a little more work is involved to rip/catalog movies etc. But the mac and plex are handling 2TB of data brilliantly.

I use the mini also to rip movies with Mactheripper. (Way easier than handbrake)

I have been demoed both tvix and kaleidascape solutions. The mac imo is the more versatile solution till someone will actually come up with something better...

• 11-08-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

And what about Axonix® MediaMax ? See this comparison: http://www.axonix.com/Mediamax/FeaturesCompare.aspx

• 11-08-2009 4:39 PM In reply to

Aside from several points on that comparison being false, it doesn't mention the inferior service, less elegant interface, and that it's not that tremendous a savings by the time you make a serious investment. 

A pretender to the throne. 

• 11-08-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

I had no problems setting up a tvix for a friend of mine. Same goes for the +100.000s other users in the rest of the world, I guess. Even B&O is supporting this player. Now why would that be? Maybe your harddisk was an exception to be compatible with your tvix. Don’t know.

Anyway, I use a Popcorn myself, and have it setup like a kaleidescape. A lot of work, I admit but it was fun. But after setting it up that way, I found out I'm only interested in watching my movies and series, than watching the user interface. I have no problems anymore in browsing text files. I know what movie I am going to watch and don’t need the info and covers about the movie. It is the content what is important for me. Wink

Besides that, a movie is something you gonna watch once, few exceptions maybe, so for me a Kaleidescape with its wonderful UI is certainly not worth the hype, IMO.

My next upgrade is probarly going to be a Dune BD Prime when it's available.

http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/111-dune-bd-prime-3.0.html

Looks solid and has a BR-player.

• 11-09-2009 2:45 AM In reply to

I'm using a tvix 6500 since some three months. Total acquisition price inl 1.5TB HD: EUR 399, which is not to bad at all imo.
    Installation of the HD took less than 2 minutes, very simple just connect a cable and push it into the disktray.

My wife converted all DVD's (and that says something, as she already has to call me on how to restart the pc ;-).
    She used AnyDVD, which automatically removes any copy-right protection and annoying pre-movies, to rip the dvd's in one click. After ripping all CDs just start up My Moviies and it found almost all of the album info and album covers automatically. Very simple.

After that, just connected the tvix thru HDMI to the BV7 and there it goes!

The userinterface is very simple as far as I consider (in Icon mode), Even my little son of a little over three years old uses it intuitively. The tvix itselves looks ok (sure its not B&O) but it is small and can easily be hidden away. I wish B&O would offer a solution like this, but for me its one of the best things I bought (of which my wife did not see the need of) in years.

Very convenient, good UI and affordable.

and on top of it: it comes with a ftp server build in, so I can access it from everywhere in the world on my pc to see the movies.

• 11-09-2009 7:22 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Beoaddict (or anybody else),

Maybe silly question but:

How did you get the ripped DVD's/CD's from the place you ripped them (your PC/laptop ?) in to the Divx ?

• 11-09-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

As I`m a mac user I ripped my DVDs with Mac the Ripper and transferred them via network to my Tvix - works also wireless but takes a lot of time.

Stefan

• 11-09-2009 8:19 AM In reply to

To transfer files, FTP is the fastest way. I get +7Mb/s over a wired network.

There are lots of freeware FTP clients available on the web.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)